Important Men Mock Greta Thunberg. Why not just Refute her?

owedtojoy

When two of the most powerful men in the world, President of the United States Donald Trump and his Treasury Secretary Stephen Mnuchin, verbally assail a 16-year old girl over the world's media, you realise something strange is happening. Why have these powerful men, whose interactions are normally with the great and the distinguished, taken it upon themselves to undermine a 16-year old girl in the public eye?

If a prominent person assails someone in that manner, it concedes the importance of the target. So why have these Big Men identified this young woman (or girl), as important, and why have they chosen to undermine or mock her, rather that address her concerns? Why stoop to the ad-hominem fallacy?

Surely, it is simple. Either Thunberg is wrong, or she is right. It does not matter if she has multiple PhDs in Economics, Nuclear Physics or Brain Surgery. It does not matter if she travelled to Davos in a gold-plated train powered by coal, or in a covered wagon pulled by a team of oxen.

If she is wrong, why cannot two Big Men, supposed to be among The Smartest In The World, explain to her (and us) how and why she is wrong?

silverharp

He was spot on when he said she doesn't have a economics degree so isn’t qualified to give an opinion, or at least one worth listening to. If you listened to the wrong people resources and opportunites would be wasted

blinding

Why is a 16 year old being put forward for this campaign .

She has neither the education , maturity etc to be pontificating about this stuff.

Most people would not let Greta make any decision what so ever in their private life .

owedtojoy

She has neither the education , maturity etc to be pontificating about this stuff.

Most people would not let Greta make any decision what so ever in their private life .
It is not as if there are not thousands of scientists and economists saying the same thing.

Go and refute them, if Ms Thunberg is not worthy.

Last edited:

A Voice

So mugs like Owed to Joy will play the identitarian card to protect her from legitimate criticism.
I actually read her little white book. (There is a larger yellow book). The white one is full of non-sequiturs, circular arguments, and vapid generalisations.

Example:

People say I should be in school and doing homework. But they haven't done their homework, because the planet is burning up and we have only a few years to save it.
Stuff like that all through it. What do you expect? She'a a child, and her arguments are those of the schoolyard that she disdains.

Golah veNekhar

I agree that there is man made climate change however the whole use of young girl who is clearly psychologically damaged as a mascot I find both disturbing and cruel. I also find the mockery of her to be disturbing and cruel. We like in a sick age.

owedtojoy

So mugs like Owed to Joy will play the identitarian card to protect her from legitimate criticism.
I actually read her little white book. (There is a larger yellow book). The white one is full of non-sequiturs, circular arguments, and vapid generalisations.

Example:

Stuff like that all through it. What do you expect? She'a a child, and her arguments are those of the schoolyard that she disdains.
Will, I have not read her book, but her Tweets are spot-on. Her argument is science based, as far as I can see.

So then you have a response to her Tweet (see above)? One like Trump or Mnuchin should have given?

Why must we stick with energy policies that will raise the average global temperature past 1.5C? Isn't that the sort of thing a US President or his Treasury Secretary should be explaining, and not slagging off a 16 to 17 years old girl?

The OD

Both probably want to have sex with her.

Although I am not sure how lizards copulate so maybe I am wrong about Munchy?

The OD

I agree that there is man made climate change however the whole use of young girl who is clearly psychologically damaged as a mascot I find both disturbing and cruel. I also find the mockery of her to be disturbing and cruel. We like in a sick age.
Aspergers is not ''psychological damage''.

Thinking your consciousness exists beyond physical death definitely is.

The OD

Yes, lets listen to McSniffles O'Adderallcrusher in the White House instead.

Because he has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that having the appearance of wealth and political power does not mean you have one iota what you are doing.

Yeah, I'll take the child over the man any day, thanks.

Golah veNekhar

Aspergers is not ''psychological damage''.

Thinking your consciousness exists beyond physical death definitely is.
What makes you think I was referring to her Aspergers syndrome?

There are plenty of reports of people who have died clinically and report verifibly "floating" over their bodies and observing various things (which is what makes the reports verifible). So for that reason alone believing that your consciousness survives after death is not evidence of psychological damage.

Dorcha

I don’t know anything about Mnuchin, but I’ve seen and heard enough of Donald Trump to assume he’s emotionally retarded and frequently reacts like a child.

Mockery is always wrong and is an admission of an inability to properly debate. It happens frequently on this site.

There appears to be no attempt between scientists to debate human-induced climate change. Instead they all give their own reasons and leave it up to the populace at large to pick a side. It would in the best interests of everyone if a proper public debate was had, face-to-face.

“People are suffering, people are dying, entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth”

The above is supposed to be a quote from Greta Tunberg.

The part in bold is stated as a fact. There can be no proof that mass extension is about to happen and on the whole it is unlikely. Mass extensions do not happen slowly, but catastrophically.

Ecosystems are changing as climate changes. They are not collapsing.

People have suffered and died over many ages, from climatic as well as human reasons. It is not something new. One of the more frequent reasons for people dying is extreme cold. Without a relatively cheap method of heating homes, even more people will die. If there is another “carbon-free” way of providing heat at no escalation of cost, then let it be done. Very few people would object to that. If coal is banned without a proper substitution then even more people will die of cold.

Last edited:

The OD

What makes you think I was referring to her Aspergers syndrome?

There are plenty of reports of people who have died clinically and report verifibly "floating" over their bodies and observing various things (which is what makes the reports verifible). So for that reason alone believing that your consciousness survives after death is not evidence of psychological damage.
Well then what exactly were you referring to then by ''psychological damage''?

She is perfectly able to handle the orange pig in the US and is eloquent and clear in her message.

There may be something to be said for a child her age spearheading a campaign like this but it appears all the 'concern' that she is receiving is from people who are known to be climate change deniers and nasty, bullying @ssholes already. Trumps kids could learn a lot from her, but they won't due to the incredible psychological damage he has inflicted on them.

As for those who 'clinically died', I am sure they have seen odd things. Extreme oxygen deprivation will do that.

Come back with some empirical evidence about the continuance of consciousness and we can talk.

Until then, its just psychological damage that adults inflict on children telling them fear based lies to comfort them about death.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Administrator
What do you mean 'being put forward'. She is clearly doing this of her own volition.
She has the right. And she is far more educated on the topic than those attacking her, some of whom claim climate change is a Chinese hoax to harm their business.

Golah veNekhar

Until then, its just psychological damage that adults inflict on children telling them fear based lies to comfort them about death.
The idea of having to give an account to the Ultimate Source of Life for the life He has given us is often not exactly comforting, even for the Saints, telling yourself that life is meaningless drama full of sound and fury but ultimately signifying nothing and ending in non-existence is something much more comforting to a lot of people. However God unlike very many humans believes in human dignity- and because of that if we are unworthy of the destiny He has prepared for us before all ages of the divinizing Vision of Himself, than nothing else but the flames of the hell fire will be worthy of us, human dignity demands it. The fires of Hell may even be the exact same Thing as the Light of Heaven, only what the elect will experience as joy beyond all joy, the damned in their hatred contorted hearts will experience as scorching flames of punishment.

The OD

The idea of having to give an account to the Ultimate Source of Life for the life He has given us is often not exactly comforting, even for the Saints, telling yourself that life is meaningless drama full of sound and fury but ultimately signifying nothing and ending in non-existence is something much more comforting to a lot of people. However God unlike very many humans believes in human dignity- and because of that if we are unworthy of the destiny He has prepared for us before all ages of the divinizing Vision of Himself, than nothing else but the flames of the hell fire will be worthy of us, human dignity demands it. The fires of Hell may even be the exact same Thing as the Light of Heaven, only what the elect will experience as joy beyond all joy, the damned in their hatred contorted hearts will experience as scorching flames of punishment.
Yes, that's exactly what I am talking about.

Psychological damage.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies