• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Improving and modernizing Dublin

Clanrickard

How to build a better Dublin - The Irish Times - Sat, Nov 10, 2012

10 ways to make Dublin better - The Irish Times - Sat, Nov 10, 2012

The IT is running a series all week on the make Dublin better. This is something that does not get the profile it deserves in Irish public life. On the contrary any improvements are lashed by the parish pumpers who think any money spent in Dublin is money lost to them. A thriving large metropolitan city (of which Dublin is our only one) ads 2-3% to GDP. The suggestions in the links above are useful and relatively cheap but could pay back 10 fold.

It will be interesting to see how this series develops and what will come out of it. Judging by Hogans slash and burn attitude to local government I think the single biggest boost, that of a directly elected Mayor, won't happen as the Kennys, Hogans and Rings of this world don't want competition for power.

Carson

I would like to see a systematic widening of footpaths in the city centre. In particular Baggot Street, George's Street and Dame Street would benefit hugely from that. I'd like to see an O'Connell Street style redesign for Dame Street leading to an overhauled College Green; Dublin's finest space that is not being shown in it's best light at the moment.

We should continue the trend to increase bicycles use. Complete the bike path around both the canals and greatly expand the Dublin bike scheme.

Then all we have to do is build DART underground and metro north and we're sorted!

Clanrickard

I would like to see a systematic widening of footpaths in the city centre. In particular Baggot Street, George's Street and Dame Street would benefit hugely from that. I'd like to see an O'Connell Street style redesign for Dame Street leading to an overhauled College Green; Dublin's finest space that is not being shown in it's best light at the moment.

We should continue the trend to increase bicycles use. Complete the bike path around both the canals and greatly expand the Dublin bike scheme.

Then all we have to do is build DART underground and metro north and we're sorted!
College Green could really be a great plaza if done right.

Con Gallagher

At the risk of being controversial, why are there so many people on social housing living so close to the city centre? While such communities may have lived there for generations, is it appropriate that families with young children live in flats, when there are so many vacant houses in the suburbs? Rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that these areas are ghettos associated with criminality. Should the city council relocate the people there and redevelop the locations with private rented accommodation or even better green spaces?

Other improvements:
- taxes raised in Dublin should be retained and spent there.
- integrated public transport
- level derelict properties
- protect building with heritage
- remove the clutter from great streets like parliament st, with its canopies, neon lights, advertising
- no methadone clinics in the city centre
- enforce on the spot fines for littering and extreme public drunkenness
- a plaza in college green with the bank of Ireland building being used as public space
- a directly elected mayor with real powers or even seat at the national cabinet
- Dublin getting a fairer share of senators (the senate having been reformed and made into something useful like hold the government to account, review government appointments, check out EU legislation).

Clanrickard

Also when I tried to get on Dublin Bus I was told they only take coins, no notes. I only has notes. With the Taxi not taking five we had to walk. In this day and age can't the driver take notes?

This Country

1. Move all methadone clinics outside the city centre
2. Rigidly enforce anti-begging laws (combined with a concerted effort to house the homeless)
3. Pedestrianise the area bordered by Grafton Street, Stephen's Green, Dame Street and George's Street.
4. Create a new entrance to Dublin Castle from George's Street. Ideally this would be in line with (or within view of) the entrance to the George's Street arcade.
5. Pedestrianise the area around Christchurch Cathedral, with outdoor seating along Jurys Hotel and an open air market with buskers, caricature artists, etc. around the Cathedral. This would recognise the Cathedral's central place in the city's history and be a nice counterbalance to a pedestrianised College Green (although the new Luas line will take away from that somewhat)
6. Compulsory purchase of the many derelict buildings around the city centre.
7. Prevent Dublin Bus from storing its buses on the street overnight.
8. Push ahead with the planned rolling out of Dublinbikes and DART Underround.

Dan_Murphy

On the contrary any improvements are lashed by the parish pumpers who think any money spent in Dublin is money lost to them.
Unfortunately, so long as the counties (provinces?) don't have contorl over their own taxation and spending, the parish pumpers are correct. The central pot can be considered for all intents and purposes other peoples money. :(

Franzoni

At the risk of being controversial, why are there so many people on social housing living so close to the city centre? While such communities may have lived there for generations, is it appropriate that families with young children live in flats, when there are so many vacant houses in the suburbs? Rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that these areas are ghettos associated with criminality. Should the city council relocate the people there and redevelop the locations with private rented accommodation or even better green spaces?
This was done where i lived in the inner city by Charlie Haughey....all in the name of 'progress'

And what was built instead....lots of overpriced apartments sold to wealthy familes from the suburbs or in some cases 'poor farmers' for their kids or as an 'investment' offset by their children subletting some rooms and then whinging about the state of Dublin and the junkies etc...

If your going to post this sh1te under the guise of 'improving' the inner city at least be honest and call it what it is...a land grab....

Con Gallagher

This was done where i lived in the inner city by Charlie Haughey....all in the name of 'progress'

And what was built instead....lots of overpriced apartments sold to wealthy familes from the suburbs or in some cases 'poor farmers' for their kids or as an 'investment' offset by their children subletting some rooms and then whinging about the state of Dublin and the junkies etc...

If your going to post this sh1te under the guise of 'improving' the inner city at least be honest and call it what it is...a land grab....
I referred to private rented accommodation or green spaces in place of public rented accommodation(in fact there is no reason why the city council could not retain the properties but charge market rent ) but if you choose to read something into my post which is not there and the dismiss this strawman argument with vulgarity, that reflects more on you than if does on me.

This Country

The city needs to assert its identity a bit more. There should be more emphasis on the city's colours, maybe a line of Dublin flags along the keys. If another county (/counties) are playing in Croker, the flags should alternate between Dubs and theirs. The idea should be that Dublin is hosting the other county as a guest. Failte Ireland could use it as an opportunity to promote that county as a destination for the people of Dublin.

Another way this could be done would be to have an annual Dublin day. St Petersburg does this on St Peter's day, pedestrianising the main thoroughfare, with open air concerts across the city, etc.

Troy_337

Also when I tried to get on Dublin Bus I was told they only take coins, no notes. I only has notes. With the Taxi not taking five we had to walk. In this day and age can't the driver take notes?
Try to plan ahead and bring coins, the bus driver isn't your bank vault.

Spanner Island

I think they're aiming for a cashless system... which in fairness isn't a bad aim...

It enables them to get rid of staff... although I'm sure the unions are automatically opposed to anything which might diminish the number of members they can attract even if such changes are beneficial to the actual customers and improve the service...

Spanner Island

Dublin definitely needs a directly elected mayor with real powers and budgets to be able to improve and run the place...

The Lord Mayor bullsh!t we've got now is a total waste of time and money...

A real mayor would of course be far more powerful than most TDs and Senators etc., which is probably why there's a load of foot dragging on this issue...

I'd also favour anyone who wishes to go for such a job to be able to with the only requirement being that they have lived in the city/county for at least 7 years.

And ideally political interference would be kept to a minimum...

I'd certainly be opposed to political parties being able to nominate, back and promote contenders...

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

It's a hard life being too rich ;)

Franzoni

I referred to private rented accommodation or green spaces in place of public rented accommodation(in fact there is no reason why the city council could not retain the properties but charge market rent ) but if you choose to read something into my post which is not there and the dismiss this strawman argument with vulgarity, that reflects more on you than if does on me.
Yeah right.........your full of gik

Con Gallagher

Returning to sensible posts and ignoring the troll above, there have been many good suggestions on this thread and previous ones (I remember Cllr Dermot Lacey promoting very well put together proposals on Dublin). The problem is that there is very little action, chiefly because there is no Dublin figurehead in a position of power to implement them. A directly elected mayor and a council with revenue raising powers, would provide the necessary vehicles for improvement.

bonkers

Other improvements:
- taxes raised in Dublin should be retained and spent there.
- integrated public transport
- level derelict properties
- protect building with heritage
- remove the clutter from great streets like parliament st, with its canopies, neon lights, advertising
- no methadone clinics in the city centre
- enforce on the spot fines for littering and extreme public drunkenness
- a plaza in college green with the bank of Ireland building being used as public space
- a directly elected mayor with real powers or even seat at the national cabinet
- Dublin getting a fairer share of senators (the senate having been reformed and made into something useful like hold the government to account, review government appointments, check out EU legislation).
Can they put the methadone clinic next door to you?

Clanrickard

Try to plan ahead and bring coins, the bus driver isn't your bank vault.
A bank vault?!?!? I smell wind up merchant.

I think they're aiming for a cashless system... which in fairness isn't a bad aim...

It enables them to get rid of staff... although I'm sure the unions are automatically opposed to anything which might diminish the number of members they can attract even if such changes are beneficial to the actual customers and improve the service...
It is not a bad idea but they need to make this clear.

Spanner Island

A bank vault?!?!? I smell wind up merchant.

It is not a bad idea but they need to make this clear.
They need to push various cards including the LEAP card relentlessly in the same way the Oyster card was pushed in London...

A slow enough uptake there improved considerably due to cheaper fares being charged for Oyster card users... although I'm not sure what the gap is now...

I don't get the impression the LEAP card is being promoted robustly enough here...

In Berlin the system is even better... and particularly the underground... It's an honour system which negates the need for any ticket offices in most stations, ticket barriers or personnel... The entire system flows much better with tickets available from ticket machines and from local shops...

Plain clothes ticket inspectors patrol throughout the system with penalties being stiff for those caught without a valid ticket... although by our standards the penalties aren't stiff at all...

I doubt an honour system would work anywhere in Ireland though...