• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

In bad taste - Government sells off fine wine collection

Malbekh

Look.

The mark of a man or a gentleman is their understanding of fine wines. As a country, foreign dignitaries need to be assuaged about our position in this world by our ability to wine and dine and act as good hosts.

So it comes as no surprise that an uneducated buffoon currently installed as Minister of Foreign Affairs, Eamon Gilmore, AKA Unhappy Gilmore, is going to sell off our best cellared wines in a pathetic attempt of anti-bourgeois sentiment, so he can curry favour with all the working classes he has helped screw over the last few years.

The wines to be sold include Chateau Lynch Bages Grand Cru Classe 1998, Chateau Leoville Barton Cru Classe 1997 and Kirwan Margaux 2000.

In future, foreign dignitaries will have to deal with bottles of Black Tower, Blue Nun, Goldener Oktober and if they're lucky, Bull's blood. It's as if we are heading back to the 1990's in terms of cuisine and culture.

I'm sure P.ie users will be equally outraged.

Tin Foil Hat

The value cap on a bottle of wine in the cellars is now €30. Hardly 'plonk'. It's a very sensible compromise, to be honest.

cillian32

Heard a scottish bloke on newstalk say we should give them whiskey instead of wine.....We would get a better deal :p

elliebee

Look.

The mark of a man or a gentleman is their understanding of fine wines. As a country, foreign dignitaries need to be assuaged about our position in this world by our ability to wine and dine and act as good hosts.

So it comes as no surprise that an uneducated buffoon currently installed as Minister of Foreign Affairs, Eamon Gilmore, AKA Unhappy Gilmore, is going to sell off our best cellared wines in a pathetic attempt of anti-bourgeois sentiment, so he can curry favour with all the working classes he has helped screw over the last few years.

The wines to be sold include Chateau Lynch Bages Grand Cru Classe 1998, Chateau Leoville Barton Cru Classe 1997 and Kirwan Margaux 2000.

In future, foreign dignitaries will have to deal with bottles of Black Tower, Blue Nun, Goldener Oktober and if they're lucky, Bull's blood. It's as if we are heading back to the 1990's in terms of cuisine and culture.

If one checks into the roots of most of these foreign dignitaries we'd find it was far from fine wines they were reared. If Blue Nun is good enough for the peasants it should be good enough for the people whose salaries they pay.

Roll_On

If it were up to me there'd be a byob policy and politicians would consume alcohol on their one time at their own expense.

FakeViking

If one checks into the roots of most of these foreign dignitaries we'd find it was far from fine wines they were reared. If Blue Nun is good enough for the peasants it should be good enough for the people whose salaries they pay.
Piat D'or is much nicer!

Astral Peaks

Look.

A subtle point made in a very concise OP.! "Anti- bourgeois sentiment!, I love that. Well done to you Sir.

Ribeye

I assume he is selling the lot so that each time they need wine, it will have to be bought from an Irish supplier,

I wonder which if Eamons mates owns a wine business.

I recommend Lidl.

ger12

I assume he is selling the lot so that each time they need wine, it will have to be bought from an Irish supplier,

I wonder which if Eamons mates owns a wine business.

I recommend Lidl.
What's wrong with tap water?

Astral Peaks

One other point? How does this "save costs"? The wine is already paid for, sitting in a cellar is hardly incurring a massive overhead? This is a "sunk cost" so selling it saves nothing, bar a minor upward blip on the revenue side in one year. Then the D of FA have to buy more in year 2. Utter silliness, pandering to the Joe Higgins'" of the Dail.

eoghanacht

Look.

So it comes as no surprise that an uneducated buffoon currently installed as Minister of Foreign Affairs, Eamon Gilmore, AKA Unhappy Gilmore, is going to sell off our best cellared wines in a pathetic attempt of anti-bourgeois sentiment so he can curry favour with all the working classes he has helped screw over the last few years.

I hope your tongue was firmly in your cheek writing that.

Ribeye

Tin Foil Hat

One other point? How does this "save costs"? The wine is already paid for, sitting in a cellar is hardly incurring a massive overhead? This is a "sunk cost" so selling it saves nothing, bar a minor upward blip on the revenue side in one year. Then the D of FA have to buy more in year 2. Utter silliness, pandering to the Joe Higgins'" of the Dail.
By
a) Selling the really expensive bottles of wine currently in the cellar and
b) Putting a sensible cap on the amount that can be spent on a bottle of wine in the future.

Not complicated stuff, really.

gatsbygirl20

Apparently a wine expert was saying this morning that they paid too much for it in the first place
the wine is now going to fetch circa 50 to 60 Euro a bottle which is around what they paid for it.

It's just a symbolic gesture.

Think of all the people who objected to the vintage wine served by the President to The Queen / Whatever-Visiting-Dignatary-I Don't-Like....etc....the taxpayer,etc

There are complaints about the Dept's extravagance on the one hand, and... the waste of taxpayers' money,.... and the country is broke, except for the elite "at the trough" quaffing fine wines, the greedy insiders.....let them show some solidarity with the people who can't even afford to go for a pint...have they no shame...think of the care assistants that could be employed if we sold off the entire cellar.....public spending must come down...

So I think for Gilmore it's damned if you do and damned if you don't on this one

dancl2000

Look.

I'm sure if wine is needed for some occassion the catering company providing the food will be quite happy to provide some respectable wine as well. That'll be a hell of a lot cheaper that the govt maintaining a wine cellar

Maintaining a wine cellar for catering purposes involves:
- year round temperature control, humidity control
- somebody's job to go around vineyards testing and buying pallets of wine to keep the cellar stocked
- somebody's job to coordinate the cellar with whatever menu is being prepared
- somebody's job to take delivery, inventory, quality control, stack in the right plac etc

Basically the cost of running a cellar is more than the cost of buying the same quality of wine when you need it.