In case you missed it: We still have not seen the IMF/EU deal.

He3

With all the sound and fury this basic point is in danger of being missed. We still have not seen the actual deal. The devil is in the detail and that has not even been agreed yet. Dan O'Brien pointed this out in the IT yesterday. Today Harry McGee spells it out further - the document, called a Memorandum of Understanding (the irony) is he says

"unlikely to be published before the budget, according to a source.

The source, who is familiar with ongoing negotiations on the Government side, indicated that the document has not yet been finalised but said a draft of the memorandum may be published this week.

The move, which would be done by means of laying the document before the Dáil, would be subject to Cabinet approval, possibly at today’s meeting of Ministers.

The memorandum sets out the conditions the Government must meet at the end of each quarter in order to draw down tranches of the loan. The document is close to being finalised, said the source, but some details were still under discussion.

It is understood the memorandum will be formally approved by the board of the IMF in Washington on December 10th, some three days after the budget.

The document is believed to run to between 15 and 20 pages. It contains policy, fiscal and banking conditions that are very detailed for 2011. For next year, it sets out specific targets to be met by the time each quarterly review takes place. The conditions are less specific for succeeding years of the three-year programme."

Full rescue deal may not be published before budget - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 30, 2010

Carry on...

sport02

Well according to Constantin Gurdgiev latest tweet, an FG source indicating to him that FG intend to abstain from the budget vote.
In order to reject the bailout, we need to reject the budget, and after Brian Hayes's awful performance lastnight on RTE FL, he was very ambiguous about the bondholders, couple that with if they abstain from the budget, I am looking elsewhere now for who to give my first preference vote to.

D

Deleted member 17573

Guy from the IMF on PK this morning commented that it was no coincidence that the Board of the IMF would not be meeting to sign the deal until after the budget. No budget, no "bailout".

He3

Guy from the IMF on PK this morning commented that it was no coincidence that the Board of the IMF would not be meeting to sign the deal until after the budget. No budget, no "bailout".
There are indeed no coincidences in any of this.

ulsterscotnua

We don't need to see the deal as really all we need to do is take B. Cowen's word for it.
Brian Cowen even left putting his party first in DSW (or was it third) to go back to Dublin for the end of the discussions to make sure he got us a good deal.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Well according to Constantin Gurdgiev latest tweet, an FG source indicating to him that FG intend to abstain from the budget vote.In order to reject the bailout, we need to reject the budget, and after Brian Hayes's awful performance lastnight on RTE FL, he was very ambiguous about the bondholders, couple that with if they abstain from the budget, I am looking elsewhere now for who to give my first preference vote to.
Traitors also then.

sport02

Traitors also then.
I hate using this term, but they do seem all the same.
We need new alternatives that will stand up for us, I watched the Frontline last night and enjoyed the debate between Richard Boyd Barret and Marc Coleman, both showed conviction and change.
We need more of an alternative, I really thought FG would make a point, but it is not looking like it now.

He3

I hate using this term, but they do seem all the same.
We need new alternatives that will stand up for us, I watched the Frontline last night and enjoyed the debate between Richard Boyd Barret and Marc Coleman, both showed conviction and change.
We need more of an alternative, I really thought FG would make a point, but it is not looking like it now.

No. Unfortunate.

He3

Cowen says our deal is the envy of Greece.

Whatever it is.

Last edited:

Sucker Punch

On Front Line it was mentioned that the Greek govt and IMF still haven't published the terms of the deal that was negotiatied last summer.

I would not expect the fine print to made available anytime soon.

Fr. Hank Tree

Well according to Constantin Gurdgiev latest tweet, an FG source indicating to him that FG intend to abstain from the budget vote.
In order to reject the bailout, we need to reject the budget, and after Brian Hayes's awful performance lastnight on RTE FL, he was very ambiguous about the bondholders, couple that with if they abstain from the budget, I am looking elsewhere now for who to give my first preference vote to.
+1

Brian Hayes' performance last night simply did not fill me with confidence in FG.

And Michael Noonan has been a bit slick aswell. With FG and Labour it seems to be a case of letting FF do the horrible stuff. Once they get into office by default they'll quietly continue these policies claiming their hands are tied, they're in a straight jacket blah blah blah.

At this juncture, SF seem to be the only viable alternative. They seem to be the only ones interested in standing up for the country.

Last edited:

He3

On Front Line it was mentioned that the Greek govt and IMF still haven't published the terms of the deal that was negotiatied last summer.

I would not expect the fine print to made available anytime soon.

Our Constitution might have a bearing on that.

Catalpa

With all the sound and fury this basic point is in danger of being missed. We still have not seen the actual deal. The devil is in the detail and that has not even been agreed yet. Dan O'Brien pointed this out in the IT yesterday. Today Harry McGee spells it out further - the document, called a Memorandum of Understanding (the irony) is he says

"unlikely to be published before the budget, according to a source.

The source, who is familiar with ongoing negotiations on the Government side, indicated that the document has not yet been finalised but said a draft of the memorandum may be published this week.

The move, which would be done by means of laying the document before the Dáil, would be subject to Cabinet approval, possibly at today’s meeting of Ministers.

The memorandum sets out the conditions the Government must meet at the end of each quarter in order to draw down tranches of the loan. The document is close to being finalised, said the source, but some details were still under discussion.

It is understood the memorandum will be formally approved by the board of the IMF in Washington on December 10th, some three days after the budget.

The document is believed to run to between 15 and 20 pages. It contains policy, fiscal and banking conditions that are very detailed for 2011. For next year, it sets out specific targets to be met by the time each quarterly review takes place. The conditions are less specific for succeeding years of the three-year programme."

Full rescue deal may not be published before budget - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 30, 2010

Carry on...
Just got around to reading Danny's piece in yesterday's IT over me tea...

Loved the bit where Jean-Claude Juncker had to leave early for a more important engagement:

Meeting the North African Dictator Colonel Gaddafi!:rolleyes:

He3

Just got around to reading Danny's piece in yesterday's IT over me tea...

Loved the bit where Jean-Claude Juncker had to leave early for a more important engagement:

Meeting the North African Dictator Colonel Gaddafi!:rolleyes:

He actually said when he was getting up to go, leaving the press conference that was going out live, that he had to 'Love you and leave you'.

This was how he ended his announcement to the people of Ireland.

That was all we had to go on. Some half an hour later Cowen turned up on RTÉ to 'announce' what we already knew from the guy on his way to Ghaddafi's tent. As was clear from reading Dan O'Brien yesterday, for all their nice suits and private jets, none of these guys knows which way to point the fire exinguisher.

Bottom line: Ireland, whatever about Greece, cannot be governed by secret protocols.

He3

Having the government put the terms to a vote in the Dáil is the least we can expect.

ivnryn

There are no abstains, anyone who isn't present and voting against should be considered to have voted in favour.

muffin

Makes sense there. This is what our country has done, voted for FF three times, and the government. Why did people vote for them? I cant believe that there are still die hard FF regardless. Makes me mad.

The EU wants the money back therefore they need to know if the saving plan goes ahead. If not, we are going to be in serious trouble BIG time.:eek:

muffin

Cowen says our deal is the envy of Greece.

Whatever it is.
Cowen is a clown. I think from my knowldege, he said that we got a reduced rate compared to Greece which is good. I dont know about the solid facts because I never looked into it. THis could be true.:confused:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies