• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

In praise of public servants

juggernaut

Very recently one of my employees partner died. In the weeks before he died they were trying to get married – there were lots of complications and it wasn’t straightforward. I helped a little with the paper work. I was in contact with many public servants – registrars, court officials, nursing staff. They were to a man and woman wonderful, kind, efficient and caring. They went beyond their job descriptions on many occasions and were very understanding of difficulties – not once did I come against the ‘jobsworth’ attitude. Yet the never bent a law. The really bent over backwards when there was no gain for themselves.
It set me thinking about how often I’ve met or seen public servants who were just very kind and thoughtful. I’ll give two further examples:
Recently one of my children failed to return a DVD to the library on time – when I returned it I discovered that it had incurred a €2.10 fine. The librarian looked around to see if anyone was looking and in a very quiet voice said ‘don’t worry if you can’t afford to pay it all off today’. I looked at her and thought to myself ‘I spill more of that when I open a decent bottle of wine’. But I really appreciated this kindness in case I was struggling (and I was in the past so I know what that means).
Finally I have never been into the passport office without witnessing someone trying to get a passport at the last minute – usually a young fella on the post leaving cert bash who didn’t realise he needed one! – but also people desperate to travel to be by the bedside of a sick relative. They have always been treated with courtesy and the utmost flexibility and I think always got to travel.
I’ve been reflecting since the first incidence outlined above how all these kindnesses by public servants civilises us all and without these small kindnesses Ireland would be a far worse place to live. If you’ve ever had cause to meet the bureaucracy in other countries you might recognise that not all countries have such a professional but flexible public service.
I do realise that not all Irish public servants/services are like this (indeed I could have done a thread on jumped up jobsworths myself) but enough of them are that I want to say a public thank you.
Please feel free to post good public servants stories below – if you want to public service bash please do it elsewhere – there are plenty of p.ie threads that do just that.

titmouse

I think you must be having a laugh. Or you're some sort of sick troll.

D

Deleted member 17573

I think you must be having a laugh. Or you're some sort of sick troll.
No - public servants, in my experience, are generally courteous and helpful and discharge their functions with a good deal more humanity and understanding than is found elsewhere. The problems with the PS lie with the more senior ranks who are highly resistant to change.

Howya

I think what you have discovered is that there are many genuine people - the fact that they are public service or private sector is irrelevant.

odlum

35% pay cuts across public sector. End "job for life" culture. Ban trade unions. 45% compulsory dismissal reduction in staff numbers. Economic problem solved.

livingstone

Uh oh. OP clearly forgot to leave nuance and rational thinking at the door before starting a thread on the public service.

You must not have got the memo - the public sector is an amorphous blob of lazy, ineffective, indifferent and bitter folks overpaid for jobs we don't need. You're clearly a troll for thinking that, in fact, like every body of workers, public sector workers are people and therefore will, like anyone, approach their jobs with different attitudes etc, and that the myth of every public sector worker being unnecessary cost is is just a myth. Get with the programme.

juggernaut

I think what you have discovered is that there are many genuine people - the fact that they are public service or private sector is irrelevant.
I agree! only sometimes what the public service is providing is more fundamental to human well being and therefore more critical that they are human.

FakeViking

35% pay cuts across public sector. End "job for life" culture. Ban trade unions. 45% compulsory dismissal reduction in staff numbers. Economic problem solved.
Just remind us which party stuffed the PS full of extra bodies in the hope that they'd vote for them?

stakerwallace

i have no intention of keeping a job or working for life.

slippy wicket

I have to put on record that in all my dealings with the dept of agriculture, from the local DVO up along the line I have always found them helpful and courteous. And even willing to beyond what they needed to to help with a problem.

Suttree

Have been meaning to make a similar post for awhile..

My younger sister fell ill while in school one day, and had to be taken to the ER as a result, where she spent the majority of the next 24 hours. The care she received from the nurses, doctors and porters, despite them being in a particularly stressful environment, was the very best that could be expected.

What really shone through however was the Assistant Principal of her school ringing my mother several times that day/night to check up on how my sister was, and asking her if she needed anything brought to the hospital.

vanla sighs

Very recently one of my employees partner died. In the weeks before he died they were trying to get married – there were lots of complications and it wasn’t straightforward. I helped a little with the paper work. I was in contact with many public servants – registrars, court officials, nursing staff. They were to a man and woman wonderful, kind, efficient and caring. They went beyond their job descriptions on many occasions and were very understanding of difficulties – not once did I come against the ‘jobsworth’ attitude. Yet the never bent a law. The really bent over backwards when there was no gain for themselves.
It set me thinking about how often I’ve met or seen public servants who were just very kind and thoughtful. I’ll give two further examples:
Recently one of my children failed to return a DVD to the library on time – when I returned it I discovered that it had incurred a €2.10 fine. The librarian looked around to see if anyone was looking and in a very quiet voice said ‘don’t worry if you can’t afford to pay it all off today’. I looked at her and thought to myself ‘I spill more of that when I open a decent bottle of wine’. But I really appreciated this kindness in case I was struggling (and I was in the past so I know what that means).
Finally I have never been into the passport office without witnessing someone trying to get a passport at the last minute – usually a young fella on the post leaving cert bash who didn’t realise he needed one! – but also people desperate to travel to be by the bedside of a sick relative. They have always been treated with courtesy and the utmost flexibility and I think always got to travel.
I’ve been reflecting since the first incidence outlined above how all these kindnesses by public servants civilises us all and without these small kindnesses Ireland would be a far worse place to live. If you’ve ever had cause to meet the bureaucracy in other countries you might recognise that not all countries have such a professional but flexible public service.
I do realise that not all Irish public servants/services are like this (indeed I could have done a thread on jumped up jobsworths myself) but enough of them are that I want to say a public thank you.
Please feel free to post good public servants stories below – if you want to public service bash please do it elsewhere – there are plenty of p.ie threads that do just that.
You get good and bad PS workers everywhere, as with all sectors of society. From a personal perspective a number of years ago my fiancee and myself wanted to marry before years end, sought an exemption (which can be given) from the usual wait time (which when compared to the UK and many other countries is, or at least was, very long at 3 or 4 months from what I can recall), didn't get an exemption and the attitude was simply "tough luck", so not to worry contacted a registrar in the North who was extremely helpful and about two weeks later we married up there. The system is, not sure if it's changed since, very behind other European countries.

alloverbartheshouting

We've all met the individual who goes the distance regardless of the sector in which he or she works. The shop assistant who shrugs the shoulders and says "If it's not out, then we don't have it" as opposed to the shop assistant who says "wait here a minute, I'll go and check. The nurse who stays beyond the shift to talk to a patient's family as opposed to the one who palms off any questions as it's quitting time. The solicitor who calls just to check in with a client as opposed to the solicitor who sends letters to say nothing at €x a pop. The teacher who you can approach at any time as opposed to the one who tells you to make an appointment first.

Having worked in both private and public sectors, I have worked with and and have experience of both types of people. Some have a genuine work ethic and a sense of decency that drives them to do their best at all times. Other have the philosophy that they work to live, not live to work. This is not sector-specific.

Mr. Bumble

45% reduction in PS numbers? You're a troll or a fool. Given your other posts on here, I'd say you're a fool.

dresden8

I have to put on record that in all my dealings with the dept of agriculture, from the local DVO up along the line I have always found them helpful and courteous. And even willing to beyond what they needed to to help with a problem.
You're obviously a liar slippy. All public sector workers are lazy, greedy and inefficient and should all be sacked because they destroyed the country.

Get with the program man.

firefly123

A valuable lesson I learnt early in my career was to treat every patient as if it were your own sick Granny.

pmcdot

Fair play to you, the disproportionate criticism and demonizing of public servants has got to be the worst "divide and conquer" aspect of previous and current government and media policy. It is so unfair on people, for the most part, doing their best to do their jobs.

Mr. Bumble

You're obviously a liar slippy. All public sector workers are lazy, greedy and inefficient and should all be sacked because they destroyed the country.

Get with the program man.
Fock it. You know what, there are times that I'd almost wish for a strike. Just to laugh at the useful idiots on here. But then I carry on doing a good job, like the vast majority of my colleagues.

Popular Threads

Most Replies