In rural Ireland,gas masks would help with ammonia gas and foul odour from slurry spreading

Patslatt1

See an interesting scientific study on the "LESS" efficient method of slurry spreading https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2018/precision-sluffy-application.pdf Even with efficient "LESS" spreading equipment, there would still be excessive ammonia gas pollution and foul odour.The amount of slurry has increased sharply with the increased size of dairy herds,one of the few highly profitable sectors of farming. Apparently, satellite surveillance shows that cattle populations have exceeded levels that are environmentally sustainable.In a dramatic illustration of ammonia aerial pollution, clothes drying on clothes lines of a friend in the Offaly countryside often turn yellow.
This pollution is bound to damage tourism,biodiversity and water quality of rivers,not to mention health and quality of life of rural populations. In response, the government should force reductions in cattle herds where numbers are excessive and regulate for fast introduction of "LESS" equipment. Quite a few small farmers may not want to buy this equipment but it is likely that contractors and big farmers would find it profitable to provide "LESS" as a service to them. The alternative of a rural population wearing gas masks would be intolerable.

former wesleyan

Injection's yer only man. And due to become law.

Rural

Always loved the smell of slurry, it usually meant a fine week weather-wise.

Marcos the black

Always loved the smell of slurry, it usually meant a fine week weather-wise.
That's true, but recently (last 5 years or so) more and more human slurry is being spread. And the smell is putrid..

raetsel

That's true, but recently (last 5 years or so) more and more human slurry is being spread. And the smell is putrid..
:oops:
Tell me you're kidding?
The Koreans were famed for that. In the past visiting sailors were known to report that you could smell the country before you could see land.

Marcos the black

Tell me you're kidding?
The Koreans were famed for that. In the past visiting sailors were known to report that you could smell the country before you could see land.
Nope. Unfortunately.
I'm not a farmer but over the last few years there's a new "fragrance" from slurry and I've asked locally what's causing it... That's what I've been told by several people.
I can't say I know first hand, but that's what I have heard.

Rural

It’s your favourite perfume.
Go and shyte, slurry head! :mad:

At the moment my favourite perfume is 80% alcohol and pure soap, 30 second washing, several times a day.

Most time, when I could get out and about, it was Opium by Yves San Lauren. Oh to be out and about again.

Round tower

Go and shyte, slurry head! :mad:

At the moment my favourite perfume is 80% alcohol and pure soap, 30 second washing, several times a day.

Most time, when I could get out and about, it was Opium by Yves San Lauren. Oh to be out and about again.
Industrial alcohol is a lovely smell

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Tell me you're kidding?
The brother was stationed there and him being an early morning runner he said his abiding memory of the country where he bravely defended western civilisation by staring across no-man's land at North Korea where a North Korean was picking up a modest income by staring back at him, was the smell of sh1te. He said it was all pervasive.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I was just thinking the brother there for a while was a major component in the defensive plan for the west. He was also in the invasion of Panama, Operation Just Cause, to remove Manuel Noriega as he was becoming a bit embarrassing as a trophy wife for the CIA. Exceeding his monthly allowance, hanging around with shady people, getting home late and missing work a lot... he had to go.

While yiz were asleep sound in your beds, the brother was dealing with North Korea and keeping the Panama canal open as a vital western trade link. The Talbot family have not been idle.

Very good of him all the same to take care of the military side of things while I deal with the civilian and the sister runs internal security.

raetsel

I was just thinking the brother there for a while was a major component in the defensive plan for the west. He was also in the invasion of Panama, Operation Just Cause, to remove Manuel Noriega as he was becoming a bit embarrassing as a trophy wife for the CIA. Exceeding his monthly allowance, hanging around with shady people, getting home late and missing work a lot... he had to go.

While yiz were asleep sound in your beds, the brother was dealing with North Korea and keeping the Panama canal open as a vital western trade link. The Talbot family have not been idle.

Very good of him all the same to take care of the military side of things while I deal with the civilian and the sister runs internal security.
Jimmy Carter, the most morally decent American president of my lifetime, (and I came into the world at the dog-end of Truman's career), instigated a clean-up of the CIA which saw Noriega removed from their payroll briefly. Ironically he was then reinstated when Ronald Reagan, the most loved (God knows why?) president, took office and resumed normal foreign policy.
It doesn't reflect well on humanity.

McTell

Patslatt1

Jimmy Carter, the most morally decent American president of my lifetime, (and I came into the world at the dog-end of Truman's career), instigated a clean-up of the CIA which saw Noriega removed from their payroll briefly. Ironically he was then reinstated when Ronald Reagan, the most loved (God knows why?) president, took office and resumed normal foreign policy.
It doesn't reflect well on humanity.
Carter's engineering obsession with detail-for instance deciding who had access to the White House tennis courts-undermined his grasp of the big picture.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom