IN-SHADOW : A Modern Odyssey - Animated Short Film

Finbar10

Really impressive short (13 minute) animated film. IMO it comes with fairly stunning visual effects perfectly coupled with a fantastic atmospheric backing track, with a strong political vibe running through it all. According to a review here: "This impressive short film is a violent criticism against capitalism" and:
IN-SHADOW: A Modern Odyssey is an impressive short film, which paints a dark and satirical portrait of our modern society. During 13 minutes, this short film directed by Lubomir Arsov connects symbols and metaphors, attacking with a rare energy the excesses of capitalism, from the fashion industry to social networks through the world of finance and politics. Embark on a visionary journey through the fragmented unconscious of the West, and with courage face the Shadow. From Shadow into Light. Simply beautiful.
First, here's a 1-minute trailer:
[video=vimeo;179758716]https://vimeo.com/179758716[/video]

And here's the actual 13 minute short film itself:
[video=youtube;j800SVeiS5I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j800SVeiS5I[/video]

Give it 2-3 minutes (things really get going in it from about that point on). If it hasn't grabbed you by then, it probably won't!

Last edited:

Finbar10

Some very nice artwork in it, some of which you can see here.

D

Deleted member 45466

Perpetual sh1t eating grins, and soulless eyes aside, I'm sure there's plenty of other symbolism in there (people being crushed between platforms = debt? A regression of stylised David's stars at the end? Oh, and was that Conan O'Brien @ 3:28? :D).

I do love synth/electronic scores, but I'm not crazy about the "modulated" accompanying voice in this work. It's a bit irritating.

Impressive animation, mind.

Is the animator from Eastern Europe (no wiki entry, IMDB entry doesn't provide details)?

Whilst most westerners will be familiar with "Worker and Parasite", EE produced some very strange and engrossing animations during the 70s/80s.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

D

Deleted member 45466

Yeh, it's pretty straightforward too.

The masks with the shyte eating grin are most appropriate.

Was it Pink Floyd's The Wall that had similar mask wearing characters, with doll's eyes, and bland expression?

Finbar10

Yeh, it's pretty straightforward too.

The masks with the shyte eating grin are most appropriate.

Was it Pink Floyd's The Wall that had similar mask wearing characters, with doll's eyes, and bland expression?
Those eerie inane smiles do seem perfectly appropriate to the subject matter! :) There's a lot of symbolism packed in there alright (takes a pot-shot at just about every aspect of modern society: from politicians, to corporate shills, to bankers, food industry, celebrity culture, rappers, cosmetics, pharma, even scientists etc.). The artwork actually reminds me a little of Gorillaz. Yeah, there were masks like that in the Pink Floyd's The Wall I think.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies