• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

In the land of the blinkered, the one-eyed lesbian is queen

Malbekh

Hi,

Well of course it's a catchy title, the whole point is to try and get feedback and traffic to the thread.

I have a number of reasonable questions to ask. But let me give you some context first. The previous site owner, Mr. David Cochrane is gay and in my opinion, this was of enormous assistance in making the site as popular and successful as it was/is.

Mr. Cochrane was on the Times Blog this morning and coincidentally highlighted a blog by Una Mullaly here on gay-bashing: Gay-bashing, gay marriage, and how the media needs to get a grip. | Pop Life

I would consider myself to be mainstream in my circumstances in that (a) I am not gay, (b) I have gay friends and (c) have had some misunderstandings in relation to gay people - I invited the work crowd at my going away party to The George out of complete innocence many moons ago....

What I'm interested is getting some feedback from this site as to where people see themselves and the country with regards to the LGBT 'dilemma'. In particular, I mention this in context with The Labour Party, because for reasons I can't fully understand, they seem to be fully committed to advancing same-sex relationships to that of a married couple. This surely puts the party on a collision course with elements within FG who are deemed inordinately conservative.

Indeed, considering the emphasis that Labour put into same-sex equality, is it possible that the division of the coalition will come from something as left-field as this?

So where are we with this subject. Based on Mullaly's article, we don't seem to have travelled too far down the road....

Sync

The coalition won't fall over this. If it doesn't fall over abortion then it's not going to fall over this.

Personally I think this entire conversation about gay marriage is idiotic and will be one of those things we have to explain to our grandchildren when we try to justify why it took so long for equal rights to come into place. I can understand why any politician who's in favour of it would push hard for it once they get into power. It's a civil rights issue.

Warrior of Destiny

Good OP for reflecting but I don't feel that gay rights will be the 'VAT on children's shoes' of this government. If it were to be a social issue that divides your Ivana Baciks and your Michelle Mulherins it would almost certainly abortion in my humble opinion.

Hewson

If you want to see what happens to some gay people, then follow this trial in Arizona where the current (wo)man in the witness box, a defense witness, is busy destroying her client.

Fascinating stuff. This trial has everything: sex, murder, lies, perjury, a Prosecutor so like Columbo it's unreal, lesbians, a murder victim being dragged through the mud and a media frenzy.

Better than Grisham and a peek into how the 'sisterhood' hangs together, despite the gunshots and four inch deep neck wounds.

Hewson

The coalition won't fall over this. If it doesn't fall over abortion then it's not going to fall over this.

Personally I think this entire conversation about gay marriage is idiotic and will be one of those things we have to explain to our grandchildren when we try to justify why it took so long for equal rights to come into place. I can understand why any politician who's in favour of it would push hard for it once they get into power. It's a civil rights issue.
Not really.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I have it on good authority that the Central Bank has been infiltrated by gays. Apparently their aim is to print punts in pink ink, when the euro implodes.

For now, they are a sleeper cell, doing what public servants do best: spending their days being paid to bum around.

Sync

Hewson

Hewson

David is Gay :(
Being gay is nothing abnormal or unusual. How many gay people do you know?

For the most part they're far more humane and compassionate than their peers. I just don't see this push for 'marriage' as a rights issue. More an 'I want' issue.

eoghanacht

Not really.

It is.

They are be denied the same rights as you to marry some one they love and have that union recognised by the state

Happytolearn

Being gay is nothing abnormal or unusual. How many gay people do you know?

For the most part they're far more humane and compassionate than their peers. I just don't see this push for 'marriage' as a rights issue. More an 'I want' issue.
Do you agree with gay marriage?

slippy wicket

Don't understand what the religious fundies are getting all het up about.
This is about equality in civil marriage.