• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

In the Name of the Republic...

NewGoldDream

Website
-
...on TV3 now, tracing some disappeared victims of the War of Independence.

I guess it makes a change from the usual X Factor nonsense.

ruserious

When I read about it earlier, I thought it would be great. I'm struggling to keep my eyes open though.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Not a great start.

Some of the usual footage from the time showing Dev, Collins, Lloyd George. A Professor who thinks that clearly the subject and his viewer do not merit a shirt and tie. Will give it another 15 mins though, hope it improves.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Oh Jesus. The obligatory reenactment with actor staring moodily out a window.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Wow.. hard to believe that the "Good" Old IRA killed civilians, put people out of their homes, killed policemen, shot informers and buried them in unmarked graves... unlike the "Bad" Provisional IRA who ... oh wait

And the difference is lads ?

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Wow.. hard to believe that the "Good" Old IRA killed civilians, put people out of their homes, killed policemen, shot informers and buried them in unmarked graves... unlike the "Bad" Provisional IRA who ... oh wait

I don't think the programme is lauding the events at all.

Interesting that you would use it to defend the Provos actions though.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Is this program about 1921.. or 1981

Jaysus, they're shooting them coming out of Mass now and all...

ruserious

Retrospective contemporary social norms?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I don't think the programme is lauding the events at all.

Interesting that you would use it to defend the Provos actions though.
I'm not, I am pointing out the hypocrisy of people in FF and FG.. commemorating yearly the heros of the WOI.. while vilifying the terrorists of the Provos

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com

One man's revolutionary...
History is written by the victors...
Not having a go at you ROC, but after the Old, came the Provisional. Was it the Continuity crowd that came next?

NewGoldDream

Website
-
I'm not, I am pointing out the hypocrisy of people in FF and FG.. commemorating yearly the heros of the WOI.. while vilifying the terrorists of the Provos
You are defending the actions of the Provos by saying they were no different to actions in a different time and context.

Fr.Ted Crilly

You are defending the actions of the Provos by saying they were no different to actions in a different time and context.
He's not 'defending' anything.

callas

There are skeletons in the cupboard. Yes , we know.

Doesnt in any way detract from the boneyard in the garden of ProvoSinnFein.

Con Gallagher

What is the point if this programme?
- to show guerrilla wars are ugly?
- that the old IRA used dubious tactics and targets which the Provos followed?
- digging a field because it may contain two bodies of persons unknown who may not have been reburied?

CarnivalOfAction

Seems the Bon Jovies were saints compared with the Good Ole IRA. According to O'Halpin anyway.