Increase in egg donor use

Cruimh

IVF egg donor use rises sharply, HFEA figures show - BBC News

Although the story is based around England I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recipients were to be Irish women

The number of women using donated eggs has risen sharply in the past 10 years, latest figures show.In 2006 1,912 women had IVF using a donor egg, compared with 3,924 in 2016, the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) said.
It attributed the rise to a greater awareness of donation as an option, more donors, and more same sex couples, single and older women using them.
The number of women donating their eggs is also on the increase.
Having known the pain some infertile couples suffer, I think egg donation is truly altruistic.

Cathy Nicholson, from York, has donated her eggs five times, donating every year for five years since she was 27.

She has helped a family where the woman had undergone cancer treatment, a same-sex couple and couples with fertility problems.

The 38-year-old, who is expecting her third child in May, said: "People that receive eggs are absolutely amazed that other women want to give them, but that is because at the end of their process they get this amazing baby.

"It's an involved process, it's a commitment, but really it is a drop in the ocean compared to what couples have to go through to make their babies possible.

"I didn't feel I was giving anything away that I was going to use for myself."

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies