Incredible Faux Pas by Michael Noonan or par for the course?

Spanner Island

the minority who can afford it, take a decco at the a&e conditions for the majority of us
Do you think ridding the country of private health care providers would improve anything in the public system..?

I know I don't... and suspect it would only make things worse.

The crisis in public health is systemic and whether or not there is private provision or not is irrelevant to the shambles that much of the public system has been allowed to become.

On the contrary the public system happily screws those health insurance providers through the nose with the ludicrous costs they impose... costs which are then fed on to ever increasing premiums.

hammer

100% Tooler.

How would the public health system survive without the scandalous premiums we need to pay for private healthcare.

If only we all could stop paying the premiums at the same time their eyes would be opened.

brughahaha

Do you think ridding the country of private health care providers would improve anything in the public system..?

I know I don't... and suspect it would only make things worse.

The crisis in public health is systemic and whether or not there is private provision or not is irrelevant to the shambles that much of the public system has been allowed to become.

On the contrary the public system happily screws those health insurance providers through the nose with the ludicrous costs they impose... costs which are then fed on to ever increasing premiums.
If the TDs , Journos , Senators , Semi State execs and various Business luminaries and their families had to actually slum it in the public health system rather than spouting platitudes while having no direct experience of just how bad it is , just gazing at it from their 4 star beds in the Beacon , it would be unrecognisable within weeks.

Last edited:

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
If the TDs , Journos , Senators , Semi State execs and various Business luminaries and their families had to actually slum it in the public health system rather than spouting platitudes while having no direct experience of just how bad it is , just gazig at it from their 4 star beds in the Beacon , it would be unrecoignisable within weeks.
On what basis are you assessing Ireland's public healthcare system?

hammer

I`ve said it for 7 years.

No politician or HSE Manger or above should be allowed have private healthcare.

Then and only then would it be sorted.

Ramon Mercadar

In light of the disgusting and vile revelations about the Bon Secours Tuam Mother and Baby home and the dumping of babies remains why would any politician of any hue want to be associated with the Bon Secours?

Is it simply because of unthinking stupid insensitivity by Noonan to the Bon Secour victims ?

Or is it because the Bon Secours run profit making private hospitals and their ethos suit a right wing conservative Catholic Fine Gael to the hilt? Maybe he was letting the board of Bon Secours know that Fine Gael would do nothing to impinge on their private profits, they made €2.3 million in profit last year and they have over €70 million in accumulated profits as of the end of 2016

Michael Noonan launched Bon Secours in Limerick yesterday, despite the horror revelations of Bon Secours Tuam. It sez it all about the man and Fine Gael.

Order of nuns that dumped up to 800 babies into a septic tank must be disbanded, says TD - Irish Mirror Online
Order of nuns that dumped up to 800 babies into a septic tank must be disbanded, says TD
The nuns remained silent in the face of national outrage over the child-dumping scandal which Taoiseach Enda Kenny branded “truly appalling”
Hes rubbing our noses in it. He's getting away with leaving Grace in the foster home so hes now doubling down by supporting the Bon Secours.

brughahaha

L'Chaim

The vindictiveness, the contempt, the casual dehumanising of the victim- was made plain and widely known when details of the dealings were made public. And yet it was no obstacle to Noonan becoming leader of Fine Gael, and later Minister of Finance

"The vindictiveness, the contempt, the casual dehumanising of the victim" For a minute I thought you were talking about Israel, but it's Ireland. phew! That's a relief.

brughahaha

Noonan is one of those enemies for nobodies who feel the need to have important enemies.
Like Bridget McCole you mean .... yeah she was a real nobody , Noonan thought so anyway

Boy M5

Obviously, to you it's not so hence you use it. What emphasis does it add to the statement? It's on par with "I'm not a fan of ... but ...!
Pedantic point. I typed as I spoke to myself.
This is Politics.ie not sub-editors.ie

*EPIC SUCCESS*

It's not a stupid expression.
I for one wouldn't. It's a futile and pointless thing to do.
I wouldn't have any interest in a hospital where religion forms a part of the medical decision making process.

Boy M5

i'm not grateful at all. Their total absence where I am in Germany does not seem to have increased the cost or reduced the quality of medical care here at all.

The Bon Secours congregation is entirely comparable to the big pharmaceutical companies as self-interested players in the healthcare industry. Would we forgive big pharma on the basis of "the good they do" if we found that they had enslaved Irish mothers and starved Irish babies, sometimes to death, in the 1940s, 50s, 60s and 70s?
Has the last point been proved?
Was that the culture of Bon Secours then or now? Things alien to the church & the Gospel that they were supposedly meant to proclaim.
Why they ran hospitals and orphanages in the 1st place.

The crimes committed by these people as individuals or more likely as a group is utterly repellant.
A proper investigation needs to be launched and the state's settlement with the individual orders needs revisiting.
Whatever reserves they have should be used for restitution and charity by those maimed by the regimes they operated.
Such payments would not be against the Church's teachings or the purpose of the orders.

Such investigations need also address the failure of the state & its organisations to protect its citizens.
Tuam & elsewhere were crimes that are symptoms of wider issues.

The most substantive point you make is true - if their hospitals are owned to make a profit to return income on capital invested - or just to generate a return which creates reserves for future needs & to carryout good works. Given that the members of the orders have taken vows of poverty I would be surprised if the surplus (profit) is not recycled.
Big Pharma of course exists to maximise shareholder value.

bokuden

Popular Threads

Most Replies