• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Independant councillor refuses to resign over shocking remarks.

eoghanacht

An Independent councillor from Cornwall a MR. Collin Brewer, made startling remarks about putting down disabled children as they were too costly :shock:

The comment was made to Theresa Court, advice services manager of Disability Cornwall which complained to the council's standards committee.

Ms Court said: 'I was absolutely horrified anyone would make such a depraved comment, let alone a Cornwall councillor at a public event.

'As far as I was concerned, I had a duty to make a formal complaint against Councillor Brewer to seek appropriate justice.'

Her charity had a stand at an information event in Truro in October 2011. She was on hand to tell councillors about the issues they face and the work they do with parents of children with special needs.

Mr Brewer approached the stand, where there were parents of disabled children, and asked what the charity did. According to Ms Court he said that children with special needs cost too much money.

Read more: 'Disabled children cost too much and should be put down': Bizarre rant by councillor to disability charity | Mail Online

So should the councillor resign or is he right to brazen it out and dismiss the furore?

Mikey Moloney

There was a thread here recently where some posters agreed with abortions in the UK for foetuses with club foot or other disabilities. When you start with eugenicist thoughts like that towards unborn children it is not much of a stretch that certain people will have the same view of children and young adults with disabilities.

zakalwe1

There was a thread here recently where some posters agreed with abortions in the UK for foetuses with club foot or other disabilities. When you start with eugenicist thoughts like that towards unborn children it is not much of a stretch that certain people will have the same view of children and young adults with disabilities.
and the elderly and anyone who is a burden on society...

stopdoingstuff

Glen Hoddle has just donated five grand to his re-election campaign.

Grey Area

He is not alone.

In the article, she wrote: 'It is time to suggest that these so-called Paralympics . . . are - well, one hesitates to say "grotesque". One will only say "perverse"…Surely physical competition is about finding the best - the fastest, strongest, highest, all that. It is not about finding someone who can wobble his way around a track in a wheelchair, or who can swim from one end of a pool to the other by Braille.' She advised the disabled and blind to 'play to your competitive advantage' and added: 'In other words, Stephen Hawking shows his wisdom by staying out of the three-legged race.' Mary Ellen Synon

Should he resign - no. Would I vote for him - no.

Ryan Tubbs

I wonder are the same PC brigade showing faux outrage at this the very same crowd who would happily advocate abortions for mothers whose babies are diagnosed with disabilities before being born?

I'd bet my own life on it.

Bea C

There's some cllr I've read about in Private Eye, is he BNP or UKIP, I'd say latter?
But when council workers were on strike he was posting ranting tweets about how he earns more in a 'f**king week' than they do in a 'f**king year' (good PR!).
He also had some 'how many women does it take to change a lightbulb' joke on facebook: 'none, let the b1tch cook in the dark'.

zakalwe1

what the differance in saying that , and having a child aborted just because it has Downs
very little in reality, in theory you could spend as long debating when a foetus becomes a person as you could as to how many angels could dance on a needle...

in my opinion, if you are in favour of aborting then you must be in favour of infanticide as the timing is just semetics.

Roll_On

Councillors suck up hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money a year on expenses, bloated saleries and pensions. Surely by his logic, we should be euthanising local councilors?

Narcissist

I wonder are the same PC brigade showing faux outrage at this....
Faux outrage?

What he came out with is disgusting and him losing his job should be a mere formality.

I'm not saying that because it's 'politically correct' I'm saying it because I'm not a cold-hearted fascist.

Catch yourself on.

Sense 0f Wonder

Councillors suck up hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money a year on expenses, bloated saleries and pensions. Surely by his logic, we should be euthanising local councilors?
Would be very interesting to compare the cost of one councillor versus one person on full disability benefits per annum...

Roll_On

Would be very interesting to compare the cost of one councillor versus one person on full disability benefits per annum...
considering that middle class families with a disabled child (in Ireland anyway) face extreme financial hardship, and have recently had respite entitlements cut, I would say a county councillor costs about 10 times the amount to keep than a disabled child, and I'd suggest that any such child is a million times more valuable to society than some cretinous sponge spouting venom at the most vulnerable while robbing blind his constituents.

Roll_On

All in favour of euthanising Collin Brewer to save the tax payers money and improve society in general say 'aye'.

Happytolearn

Hitler was of the same opinion I think. He's clearly a bit screwy

Ryan Tubbs

Faux outrage?

What he came out with is disgusting and him losing his job should be a mere formality.

I'm not saying that because it's 'politically correct' I'm saying it because I'm not a cold-hearted fascist.

Catch yourself on.
Why is there not a similar outpouring of outrage when people suggest abortions for babies diagnosed with these disabilities? Is that not equally disgusting?

If someone is outraged at one, and not at the other, then clearly it is rank hypocrisy and "faux" outrage.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
An Independent councillor from Cornwall a MR. Collin Brewer, made startling remarks about putting down disabled children as they were too costly :shock:

Read more: 'Disabled children cost too much and should be put down': Bizarre rant by councillor to disability charity | Mail Online

So should the councillor resign or is he right to brazen it out and dismiss the furore?

I don't see what the issue is.

Is this view any more 'shocking' that those who are in favour of abortion on demand? One of the things that is argued in that case is that the child involved wouldn't be wanted by the mother.

I don't like the opinion put forward by those people but why should politicians who say things that offend other people have to resign? Let the voters deal with it.

This guy is just advocating that a different group of unwanted humans be done away with. The abortion folks have the advantage of course as being able to wrap their position up in a cover of it being pro-women's rights.