• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Independent gives woman with a full time job in the UK a job

Asparagus

Video: Sports presenter Rachel Wyse joins the Irish Independent - Sport - Independent.ie

NOW there’s another great reason to get the Irish Independent every Saturday - Rachel Wyse starts her new weekly sports column this weekend.

The Dubliner is one of the most recognised women in sport, thanks to her high-profile role with Sky Sports News which is broadcast throughout Europe.
Nothing against the girl but why do people with lucrative jobs in the media need several jobs on top of their full time job.
Shes gonna take that money, pay tax on it in the uk and spend it all there. When there are gangloads of ambitious journalists scratching out a living on the local papers or the dole.

Its all over the media.
Newstalk has a rake of presenters that have several jobs - Hook has 2 with newstalk alone, plus his rte gig and writing rugby
Norah Casey is a dragon, self made supposed entreprenhuer, Bobby Kerr is the same.

RTE keep wheeling out Gay Byrne (as if we need, as a nation to repay him his money that he loast on bad investments) and tubs has a radio show, author, and tv host, brendan oconnor is a columnist, tv host, comedian, actor and ex pop star.

Who cares what any of these people have to say? I honestly would not be attracted to a media because of their personality draw.
I'd rather a/ proper personalities in our cult of personality or b/ some new blood.

i have no idea what an ex model/show jumper who is employed to read sports related news off of a telly prompter and look pretty at the same time, can tell me in her weekly column.

Between them newstalk, the indo, rte etc could probably announce a significant jobs haul if they went with the one man one job principal.

Rant over

Last edited:

Ribeye

Norah Owen is a Dragon alright, but she doesn't work for Newstalk:)

Asparagus

In my opinion they should bring over all the sky sports girls :-$
My point is that they aren't bringing over any - they'll get some intern to write the piece and rachel will get the dosh as they will pay her to have her face beside the article.

Ruff says Flaherty

My point is that they aren't bringing over any - they'll get some intern to write the piece and rachel will get the dosh as they will pay her to have her face beside the article.
Shur tis as simple as this, if you don't like their journalists don't read the paper/listen to the station. I wouldn't watch rte for the very reasons you give. 3 Prime examples of shmucks who get paid too much for delivering very little.

Asparagus

Shur tis as simple as this, if you don't like their journalists don't read the paper/listen to the station. I wouldn't watch rte for the very reasons you give. 3 Prime examples of shmucks who get paid too much for delivering very little.
But its not just Rte or INM - when you have all major media organs in the country engaged in blatent cronyism - how can you trust them to hold the government to task? (a role of the fourth estate)
Its not so simple

aldiper

If only it was that simple Sir!

We still gotta pay these bloated f**kers an obscene wage through the exhortation that is the license fee

stoichkov

i sometimes see this woman on sky sports news. she's useless -- she speaks so quietly and softly that you can't actually hear her.

I can't remember the precise details but there was some news anchor head-hunted by a rival channel in the US. They didn't want her for any intrinsic quality in her broadcasts - it was because she had an enormous following on Twitter.

The OD

brendan oconnor is a columnist, tv host, comedian, actor and ex pop star.
I completely disagree with the three bolded titles you gave Mr. O'Connor. He isn't funny, he can't act and if by 'pop star' you are referring to him dressing as a Priest perhaps I might allow that.

As for the model turned sports 'expert' by virtue of reading an autocue - never heard of her.

automaticforthepeople

Hear Hear! Time to build a wall around the country and stop these people coming back! I mean the cheek of it. A woman coming over here (even if she was born in the place) and taking our jobs and our men.
Back in the good old days all women were banned from working once they had walked down the aisle. I blame it all on the removal of the ban on marreid women working. With that ban the economic slump coouldn't have happened.

Colin M

Don't forget Pat Kenny - on morning radio 5 days a week, FrontLine every Monday night, and now on Prime Time.

Don't forget Pat Kenny - on morning radio 5 days a week, FrontLine every Monday night, and now on Prime Time.
Aye he works hard.

Would you prefer him to broadcast (not that I didn't sau "work") the same amount of hours as Finucane, because that doesn't work either according to a thread here.

The scare quotes around the work word were not to imply that it isn't work. The opposite in fact, as a great deal of research and preparation is needed - even when there's a team behind them - in order to broadcast that type of programming.

Colin M

Aye he works hard.

Would you prefer him to broadcast (not that I didn't sau "work") the same amount of hours as Finucane, because that doesn't work either according to a thread here.

The scare quotes around the work word were not to imply that it isn't work. The opposite in fact, as a great deal of research and preparation is needed - even when there's a team behind them - in order to broadcast that type of programming.
I'd prefer a less established name to be able to prove herself/himself in that role, rather than a very well off and prominent 60+year old, who does not need an extra role.

gatsbygirl20

Spare a thought for poor over-worked Mary O'Rourke--FF grande dame, Mammy, TY personality, authoress no less.....AND NOW Mary O'Rourke: I'll do my best to help you, but first let me explain why I want to be an agony aunt... - Love & Sex, Independent Woman - Independent.ie AGONY AUNT at the Sindo...

Mary was quite happy to remain at home on her large pension, baking cookies and minding grandchildren, but duty called, and personal indolence had to be laid aside and the Patriotism put before personal preference, as the problems of the nation wait for the cooling balm of Mammy's calm wisdom....

skiii

Spare a thought for poor over-worked Mary O'Rourke--FF grande dame, Mammy, TY personality, authoress no less.....AND NOW Mary O'Rourke: I'll do my best to help you, but first let me explain why I want to be an agony aunt... - Love & Sex, Independent Woman - Independent.ie AGONY AUNT at the Sindo...

Mary was quite happy to remain at home on her large pension, baking cookies and minding grandchildren, but duty called, and personal indolence had to be laid aside and the Patriotism put before personal preference, as the problems of the nation wait for the cooling balm of Mammy's calm wisdom....
And she's one of the lads,too. Didn't she buy Biffo his first pint that evening in the Ardilaun to help with his congestion?

Deep Blue

And she has to promote her bewk for the lucrative Christmas market by appearing on every known
RTE programme, and all the while raise poor Fergus's profile in readiness to ascend the Lenihan throne;
where he will while away a few years in RTE honing his skills, before resuming the Dáil seat which is his
rightful birthright.

She was on Nationwide again this evening giving us the benefit of her wisdom.

At least QE2 doesn't regale her subjects with candid details of her sex life......

gatsbygirl20

And she's one of the lads,too. Didn't she buy Biffo his first pint that evening in the Ardilaun to help with his congestion?
I wonder what advice she'll give as an Agony Aunt in the Sindo?:

"Now listen here to me, if a man wants to drink himself senseless and sing 17 verses of "The Lakes Of Ponchertrain" in the residents' bar of the Ardilaun Hotel, just let him. But the next day make sure to get the knife in about how awful he sounded..

And c'mere until I tell you, if there is any feck-up about privatising Telecom, make sure you are never, ever associated with it....or ever asked a single question about it during the 500 interviews you give every year

....and if something untoward happens like your chairman resigning, as chairmen sometimes will, well make sure to come out with plenty of oul' blather on the radio about how you were in your bathtub when you heard the news...that'll deflect them nicely....

...and keep giving interviews to Miriam and Marian and Ryan and Miriam again, and don't forget to blather about whatever comes into your head while acting like a batty oul' wan with a bad memory....

Oh, and don't forget the sunscreen..."

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies