Independent Media emails accessed by 3rd parties, Dennis O'Brien link

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
In October 2014 computer backups were removed from Independent News Media, when the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement learned this they informed the Data Protection Commissioner

60k of the bills for the operation were paid by a Dennis O'Brien company

https://m.independent.ie/business/media/odce-claims-inm-data-taken-off-site-and-interrogated-but-board-did-not-know-36762962.html

Data relating to a number of former and current staff - including journalists - as well as former directors at INM may have been removed from the company's premises, taken out of the jurisdiction and "interrogated", the State's corporate watchdog has claimed.
In the affidavit he claims that two invoices, totalling approximately €60,000 associated with the data interrogation were not discharged by INM but by Blaydon Limited, an Isle of Man company beneficially owned by businessman Denis O'Brie
More coverage on Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/TomLyonsBiz/status/980393458597851137

This is very concerning, journalist's emails accessed by unknown third parties ?

Cyp

Analyzer

I wonder did the current Editor of the "Irish" "Independent" know anything of this.

Where was Stephen Rae when this occurred. Did he have anything to say on the matter.

His career survived it, and he is still in place in Malteser's management hierarchy. Which is rather insightful.

He is currently on an EU special working group to deal with "False" news.

You literally could not make this up.

Last edited:

redmonite

In October 2014 computer backups were removed from Independent News Media, when the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement learned this they informed the Data Protection Commissioner

60k of the bills for the operation were paid by a Dennis O'Brien company

https://m.independent.ie/business/media/odce-claims-inm-data-taken-off-site-and-interrogated-but-board-did-not-know-36762962.html

More coverage on Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/TomLyonsBiz/status/980393458597851137

This is very concerning, journalist's emails accessed by unknown third parties ?

Cyp
Surely journalists believe in full transparency, or is that just for other people?

Analyzer

For starters journalists need to protect their sources
No. In the Irish media, for starters the churnalists need to be objective. And maybe also eager to uproot scandals.

However, that will NOT happen.

The narrative is on the insignificant being raised to signifance......Johnny Sexton, Brian O'Driscoll's missus, Blaithnead, Marty Whelan, Tubridy, etc.... bread and circuses.

Last edited:

redmonite

For starters journalists need to protect their sources

Cyp
I agree if sources are telling the truth, but it's all to easy to throw out "sources say" to cover someone's agenda, e.g. John Mooneys GSOC bugging fantasy.

Analyzer

Has anybody thought about blaming the Russians, yet ?

I have dandruff. It is Russia's fault.

Finbar10

The shenanigans regarding INM, siteserv and the "Red Flag" stories all sound rather like a John Le Carré novel. Then there was Ann-Marie McNally (in the Social Democrats and very much involved with TD Catherine Murphy in researching siteserv) who when flagging a taxi outside the Four Courts happened to be picked up by a taxi driver claiming to be ex-Mossad and purporting that "he previously held a senior ranking position in Mr O’Brien’s personal security detail in Papau New Guinea". All to give her some "friendly advice" that her car, phone and home were likely bugged and that he could help her out in sweeping these (an offer she declined). Maybe his claims were BS (though Karl Brophy of Red Flag seemingly had a similar encounter with this taxi driver) but her account is here anyway.

Finbar10

The Prime Time programme, which went out less than a fortnight ago, gives a good overview of the Red Flag story (even the names of Micheál Martin and Declan Ganley pop up in the programme). You can find the 20 minute piece on this here.

wombat

Every factory I worked in required me to sign an acknowledgement that email was for company use and that they had full access to them. Why is there a privacy issue?

brughahaha

Every factory I worked in required me to sign an acknowledgement that email was for company use and that they had full access to them. Why is there a privacy issue?
Because there is a big difference between the company having access and passing on to a third party.

Besides much of that "This is the property of the company" stuff has never actually been tested in court and matched against data privacy laws

Finbar10

I guess because there are certain legal protections/privileges for journalistic communication in both Irish and European law (though I'd suspect things are more clear-cut for communications with a lawyer). Courts generally don't send journalists to jail for not revealing sources. As to whether there is actually proper legislative framework for some hypothetical case where newspaper management might hoover out such data for their own non-journalistic purposes is another question.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Even so if the mails and backups of mails belong to the INM they still don't belong to the majority shareholder in that company.

Technically the INM board could sue whoever is behind the removal of the backups and the company used to scour them for information in the same way that a whistleblower could be accused of stealing company information.

INM has a separate legal identity to its major shareholder. If the INM Board refuse to deal with the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner in co-operating to find out who authorised this removal of information and the scouring of it by private companies then there are legal sanctions available against the board.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
More importantly when are the Offices of the Data Commissioner going to take on someone who has many legal advisors and still seems reluctant to understand that he himself and any who are his agents are subject to the law?

Analyzer

There will be no prosecutions here, either.

FG's pal never gets prosecuted. No matter what events are done.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If the Data Protection Commissioner ignored this then it is time for changes at that office.

Analyzer

If the Data Protection Commissioner ignored this then it is time for changes at that office.
Under FG, there will only be a change if the Commissioner takes on the media oligarch.

In the interim, the only thing we can do is to opt boycott out INM, PRAVDA, and The ISIS Times.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
This will be one of those capers well known as well out of the side of many a journo's gob perched on a bar stool and in the ears of those who hang around Merrion Square for a living.

How the f*ck O'Brien can operate with this sort of immunity to question is interesting.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies