Independent Michael Harty - does he exist ??

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Someone mentioned Clare Indo TD on the Most low profile TD discussion Dr Michael Harty. Apparently campaigned on a 'No Doctor No Village' platform to reverse the decline in the income of rural GPs. He came second in 2016 with 11,962, so clearly he's popular down there. However I don't think I've heard or read a whisper from him yet. So Banner men and women, what's the story with this fella, is he a one hit wonder or a bit like the Healy Rae's he has a crowd of voters who'll turn out for him regardless ?

mangaire2

Someone mentioned Clare Indo TD on the Most low profile TD discussion Dr Michael Harty. Apparently campaigned on a 'No Doctor No Village' platform to reverse the decline in the income of rural GPs. He came second in 2016 with 11,962, so clearly he's popular down there. However I don't think I've heard or read a whisper from him yet. So Banner men and women, what's the story with this fella, is he a one hit wonder or a bit like the Healy Rae's he has a crowd of voters who'll turn out for him regardless ?
he's a "one hit wonder".
he came from nowhere, on the issue of rural GPs retiring & not being replaced.
it would appear that all of the GPs campaigned for him & they had a captive audience in their surgeries, of elderly rural people, worried that they would have no local GP.
added to that - the closure of local Post Offices, Garda Stations ......
& added to that an electorate who traditionally voted FF, but deserted them in 2011, & not yet ready to go back to them
& there you have it.

he's not however the "most low profile" & most dumb Clare TD.
that accolade must go to the Blueshirt TD, Joe Carey, who's in his third term as TD at this stage.

he's so "low profile" that people don't know that he even exists, when they're compiling lists of "low profile" TDs.

Erudite Caveman

that accolade must go to the Blueshirt TD, Joe Carey, who's in his third term as TD at this stage.

he's so "low profile" that people don't know that he even exists, when they're compiling lists of "low profile" TDs.
It's a great strategy. Every time there is a GE people re-elect him thinking they are giving some new guy a chance.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
he's a "one hit wonder".
he came from nowhere, on the issue of rural GPs retiring & not being replaced.
it would appear that all of the GPs campaigned for him & they had a captive audience in their surgeries, of elderly rural people, worried that they would have no local GP.
added to that - the closure of local Post Offices, Garda Stations ......

& added to that an electorate who traditionally voted FF, but deserted them in 2011, & not yet ready to go back to them
& there you have it.

So FF's Michael McDonagh if he runs again should get the seat ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_(Dáil_Éireann_constituency)#2016_general_election

the secretary

If he gets re-elected then he must be doing something.
I would have thought It more likely that one of the blueshirts would be losing out next time.

mangaire2

I don't think McDonagh will run next time, but I would expect FF to win a second seat.

unfortunately the SF organisation here is very poor.
they couldn't even field a candidate in 2011 - the young unknown female SF candidate did well last time.
if SF could get their act together, they should be able to win a seat in Clare - however, not next time, unfortunately.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
If he gets re-elected then he must be doing something.
I would have thought It more likely that one of the blueshirts would be losing out next time.
" ah sure he's a great man for goin' ta funerals " :lol:

automaticforthepeople

The logic of his campaign is to keep doctors in rural areas. If he was to be up in Leinster House all day who'd dispense prescriptions to the bewildered electorate in Lisdoonvarna during the Batchelor's Week?

Round tower

The logic of his campaign is to keep doctors in rural areas. If he was to be up in Leinster House all day who'd dispense prescriptions to the bewildered electorate in Lisdoonvarna during the Batchelor's Week?
Badly needed, at the time the GP's union claim that certain areas was in danger of losing their GP's, here in Mayo some of the areas they claimed was like a comedy, including our local GP, he is still going off to his villa in Spain a couple times a year and no sign of him retiring. None of the villages around here they claimed was in danger of losing their GP's has lost them. So was it just a plan to get their rural GP allowance increased, which they did, Do any people on here know of areas which lost their GP since the last GE

Bertie's Hat

A one term TD I assume. Reminds me of Moosajee Bhamjee, he did not stand for re-election. I don't know if this was because he was disillusioned, wanted to get back to the day job, was likely to lose his seat, or a combination of these.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

georgiecasey

i live in Ennis and have not heard one peep of him from anyone or in the local papers since he ran in the election

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Has anyone down in the Banner seen Dr Harty campaigning on the referendum ?? He supports Repeal apparently but not ONE pic of him on his facebook page canvassing on the streets etc for it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies