• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Independent TDS more witch hunting

Asparagus

Luke Flanagan has missed 11 days in the dail.
OK that's not ideal.
The Independent pick this up and report it.
Great.
The headline and photo are all about Luke Flanagan and his absenteeism
but deeper in the story you find he is not the worst offender.

Flanagan has one of worst Dail attendance rates - Independent.ie

Mr Flanagan missed 11 out of 35 Dail sitting days between January and the end of March, giving him an attendance record of 68pc.

He did not return calls seeking comment last night.

Other politicians with poor attendance rates included Fine Gael TD Marcella Corcoran-Kennedy, who missed 13 days, Sinn Fein TD Peader Toibin, who missed 11, and Fine Gael TD Aine Collins, who missed 10. None of these TDs could be reached for comment last night.
This follows on from the outright harassment on Independent TDs by the Gardai and Justice minister.
Which follows on from the attempt to beat them into suits and short back and sides.

Does the cosy cartel really fear people who remotely threaten the status quo so much?

Is the fact that Marcella Corcoran-Kennedy is missing more days a bigger story?

Sync

It's a slow news day and the Indo don't like Ming. Combine that with the fact that no one knows who Corcoran-Kennedy is and you get why they're not putting her photo on the front. Personally I find quarterly numbers a little meaningless, due to the small amount of Dail days it really does need to be based over a year to be meaningful.

Bannon and McGrath provide the novel excuse that they've shown up but are simply incapable of using a clock-in system, meaning they're saying they're not competent to work in any factory job anywhere in the world.

Sync

I admire the way she's making her own clothes out of old duvet covers. More people need to be so thrifty.

SayItAintSo

I admire the way she's making her own clothes out of old duvet covers. More people need to be so thrifty.
Indeed. You should make your thoughts on this known to Lucinda. I'm sure she'll appreciate help cutting her clothing budget, paid for with taxpayers money.

Asparagus

It's a slow news day and the Indo don't like Ming. Combine that with the fact that no one knows who Corcoran-Kennedy is and you get why they're not putting her photo on the front. Personally I find quarterly numbers a little meaningless, due to the small amount of Dail days it really does need to be based over a year to be meaningful.

Bannon and McGrath provide the novel excuse that they've shown up but are simply incapable of using a clock-in system, meaning they're saying they're not competent to work in any factory job anywhere in the world.
Yeah i get that... but its still prejudicial and unfair.

I wonder if Government TD Martin Heydon's Honeymoon will turn up as missed days or will he be clocked in for them.

Radix

Arrrah what's wrong with ye all?

Isn't the poor man slaving in the bog trying to save a bit of turf.

Having said all that, if his constituency dumps him at the next election and puts in a few independents of greater integrity, I will forgive the Indo targeting the poor lad.

Tony Soprano

no harm to expose ming to be the hypocrite that he is...he never missed an opportunity to run down his colleagues when he was a member of Roscommon co council...never stopped going on about expenses and junkets etc....and now we find out that he travelled to MOROCCO on a junket himself!!! He also gets paid an EXTRA 40,000 just because he is an independent....he also claimed for the cost of his new mobile phone...

RobertW

It's a joke parliament.

It wouldn't make a shred of difference if no one attended it.

All the main decisions are taken by the cabinet and passed through by sheep TDs in FG/Labour. . . Most of whom don't even read any of the legislation put before them never mind debate it.

Rocky

That's not really true. Bannon and McGrath's excuse is essentially that they can't be bothered bringing the thing they need to clock in all the time.

Sync

That's not really true. Bannon and McGrath's excuse is essentially that they can't be bothered bringing the thing they need to clock in all the time.
Yeah but it's on his key ring. How on earth could he be expected to bring the fob with him if he doesn't have his key ring? Hibert problems pale in comparison to this conundrum.

mido

Rural

Lower to middling Civil Servants "clock in" too.:)

dancl2000

Luke Flanagan has missed 11 days in the dail.
OK that's not ideal.
The Independent pick this up and report it.
Great.
The headline and photo are all about Luke Flanagan and his absenteeism
but deeper in the story you find he is not the worst offender.

Flanagan has one of worst Dail attendance rates - Independent.ie

This follows on from the outright harassment on Independent TDs by the Gardai and Justice minister.
Which follows on from the attempt to beat them into suits and short back and sides.

Does the cosy cartel really fear people who remotely threaten the status quo so much?

Is the fact that Marcella Corcoran-Kennedy is missing more days a bigger story?
It's a good thing somebody is trying to hold tds to account and find out if they're deliving value to their constituants, god knows they cost us enough in td salaries and benefits so every td should be able to say what he's done to earn that

evaluating a td's effectiveness isnt easy and the indo is going for attendance as a proxy, which seems reasonable; how can a td represent his constituents if he's not showing up for work 30% of the time

another good thing to look at would be if when the td is there is he doing something useful which benefits citizens, or is he just wasting people's time with pointless sideshows designed to grab media attention.

We're paying for their privileged lifestyles, we're entitled to demand they justify what their doing to deserve the big salary + benefits.

Sync

The issue isn't with the idea of identifying those who aren't attending, it's the selective and vindictive manner in which the Indo focused on Ming. If he'd even been tied for worst you could see a kind of logic, but he wasn't. And I say that as someone who thinks Ming would be better off on a remote island with only a volley ball for company.