• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Independent Television news with John Drennan - incisive and erudite but will you pay?

mido

John Drennan on the week that was in politics - Independent.ie

Scanning the Indo before the paywall is erected I came across this gem of political analysis from the colossus of Irish political reporting, John Drennan. sadly such urbane and insightful comment will be locked behind a paywall in the future and the muppets/yahoo's will no longer be able to access it without shelling out to dinny O'brien. the question is, will you pay to access such content or will Johnny;'s addresses to the nation be forever a tree falling in the broadcasting forest.

loner

Scanning the Indo before the paywall is erected I came across this gem of political analysis from the colossus of Irish political reporting, John Drennan. sadly such urbane and insightful comment will be locked behind a paywall in the future and the muppets/yahoo's will no longer be able to access it without shelling out to dinny O'brien. the question is, will you pay to access such content or will Johnny;'s addresses to the nation be forever a tree falling in the broadcasting forest.
Have just looked at it---and he is the political editor of the Sindo---God between us and all harm as Kitty the Hare used say--Dia idir sinn agus an tolc.

niall78

Does a branch breaking and falling with nobody around make any noise?

In this case lets all hope so.

Analyzer

...and what if I couldn't care what Drennan has to say when it is free ??

Massive kick in the teeth ahead for the INM.

We can manage without Drennan's opinions.

rapparree

will he be giving more insights like his prediction gerry adams would struggle to win a dail seat in Louth?

firefly123

So what's the deal? You pay a set fee every month and they promise not to show this .... err.... Stuff to you?

Clanrickard

Has Johnny ever explained how his predictions re Gerry Adams' seat went so so wrong? The thread here on this is a hoot and shows Drennan up for the spoofer he is.

Berchmans

I would willingly pay NOT to have to read the majority of the Sindo's columnists.

Spanner Island

Holy crap...

Just checked out the Indo website having not been near it for ages...

When did it go all dark?

Do they think they're running a night club or a pub or something?

Looks crap imo... and I'll bet they shelled out a lot for it...

Will I pay for access to that???

Not a chance...

The Indo is sh!te and the Sindo is worse...

rapparree

The Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams is struggling to avoid a humiliating defeat in the constituency of Louth.

Typically the Sinn Fein leader secures over 70 per cent of the first preferences in Stormont elections in his West Belfast homeland.

But after an initial blaze of positive publicity, sources now believe Mr Adams will be engaged in an embarrassing struggle with a pair of nondescript Fianna Fail candidates for the final seat.

The Fine Gael surge had put paid to any hopes of Mr Adams topping the poll, but strong campaigns by Labour and the second Fine Gael candidate Peter Fitzpatrick have damaged the Adams brand.

And local sources said the 'transfer repellent' status of the 'British Baron' means his election is far from certain
John Drennan: Adams facing battle for last seat - Independent.ie

drennan at his most insightful

Last edited:

Berchmans

It's free to just ignore them
Aha! However I reckon that it would be a better money-making plan for the Sindo if they considered a negative paywall.

Imagine the scenario: there you are reading (for free) the reports on yesterday's Premiership games, or whatever, then suddenly a whole-screen pop-up appears of Eoghan Harris's latest diatribe and it's designed not to go away unless you pay a fee to get rid of it. I reckon that they'd make more money that way.

The design could be further tweaked in that Harris's column could have a taxi meter type charging facility, with the poor reader having to pay more the longer he delays.

Here's an example of how it could work:

blackmail - YouTube

daveL

when are they planning on charging for their rubbish?

mido

Aha! However I reckon that it would be a better money-making plan for the Sindo if they considered a negative paywall.

Imagine the scenario: there you are reading (for free) the reports on yesterday's Premiership games, or whatever, then suddenly a whole-screen pop-up appears of Eoghan Harris's latest diatribe and it's designed not to go away unless you pay a fee to get rid of it. I reckon that they'd make more money that way.

The design could be further tweaked in that Harris's column could have a taxi meter type charging facility, with the poor reader having to pay more the longer he delays.

Here's an example of how it could work:

blackmail - YouTube
would there be an airport charge for the brendan o'connor articles as they usually encourage me to emigrate.......

mido

Analyzer

would there be an airport charge for the brendan o'connor articles as they usually encourage me to emigrate.......
Maybe we could have a whipparound and get Ballsy to emigrate instead ?

Oh hold on....he is a beneficiary of the Pravda Levy. He has his snout in the largesse in Montrose.

We will never get rid of him, now.

H.R. Haldeman

Political sketch-writing 101:

1. Come up with a metaphor
2. Extend that metaphor
3. Tortuously extend it some more
4. File
5. Pub

mido

Political sketch-writing 101:

1. Come up with a metaphor
2. Extend that metaphor
3. Tortuously extend it some more
4. File
5. Pub

1. Pub
2. Come up with a metaphor
3. Extend that metaphor
4. Tortuously extend it some more
5. File repeatedly and unendingly

Rural

It's against my religion (has been for over 20 years) to buy or even touch the Sindo, either physically or virtually.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies