• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Independents4change

PL2015

Gavan Reilly claiming Healy was sitting with them- but that doesn't necessarily mean he has joined the technical group?
Not surprised that Maureen O'Sullivan has aligned herself with Independents 4 Change but could there be a bit of race to get Seamus Healy on side between Independents 4 Change who he seems to sit with and then AAA-PBP who he was a member of the ULA with in the last Dáil. It would be interesting if he joined I4C as they would then go ahead of Labour.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
I think you're wrong on Labour's priority over I4C which is precisely why they are cooperating with the manoeuvres by the AAA grouping.
its right here
'(3) The order in which the right under paragraph (2) may be exercised by the various groups shall be determined on the basis of the numbers of members in the groups, a larger group having precedence over a smaller one. In the case of an equality of numbers, precedence shall be determined by lot. Provided that a group which consists only of a single party shall have precedence over a technical group.'."
https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2016-05-26a.66

i think as long as party has 5 over or over it should take precedence over a technical group, and re-reading these rules that seems to be the intent, otherwise that final fullstop would have been a comma.

i think a pary over 5 should get precedence over a larger mixed group

Last edited:

lostexpectation

Website
Rule change keeps Labour first in Dail

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/rule-change-keeps-labour-first-in-dail-dcvpnj0lz the TI says they change it to make it more explicit that party numbers at election time are what count to the order

i don't think are rule change is truely necessary though for that interpretation, especially as Pringle and Connolly and O'Sullivan have not joined the I4C party.

I4C should be happy to be ahead of the Greens and the Social Democrats, the issue is how often all the small parties get to asks leaders/priority questions

loner

Independants for change--just looking at the Dail site----despite the fact that the Dail was effectively not working for months during the negotiations to cobble a Govt. together there is no sign of urgency to do any work--the Dail does not sit until 2.30 on Wednesday--suppose Deputies must have time to recover from the Bank holiday weekend-and not a dissenting voice from any Deputy.
Could we please have another election.

lostexpectation

Website
Ministers told they must seek permission to miss Dáil votes over
Technical group

Meanwhile, Independent TDs Catherine Connolly, Maureen O’Sullivan and Thomas Pringle have aligned themselves with Independents4Change. Ms O’Sullivan insisted she had not joined the party but would align herself with the technical group for speaking time.
However, the move has angered TDs in the People before Profit-Anti Austerity Alliance and Labour.
Their addition means this technical group, which already consists of Clare Daly, Mick Wallace, Thomas Broughan and Joan Collins, has seven members.
It will supersede the PBP-AAA for speaking time and Leader’s Questions. There is also speculation Michael Fitzmaurice will join the group, which would mean they would also supersede the Labour party.
The Dáil reform committee met yesterday to discuss the situation, with Anti-Austerity Alliance Paul Murphy and Social Democrats TD Catherine Murphy raising objections to the additions.
from june 1st

why would Catherine Murphy object to the additions, it doesn't change her position

I asked the CC office who was in what technical group and they said they didn't have definitive answer yet

Last edited:

turdsl

Independants for change--just looking at the Dail site----despite the fact that the Dail was effectively not working for months during the negotiations to cobble a Govt. together there is no sign of urgency to do any work--the Dail does not sit until 2.30 on Wednesday--suppose Deputies must have time to recover from the Bank holiday weekend-and not a dissenting voice from any Deputy.
When there is a bank holiday they do not return until the Wednesday,
They probably call it established procedure,At least they have done as
expected looking after their rejects and cronies with jobs.

Fine Gael sent out a feeler to see could they get away with 3 months holidays,
It did not work. It looks very much like we are in the commencement of the most
usless government in our history. There will have to be an election by the end of
the year. You cannot have a puppet government controlled from the opposition benches.

Maybe, one of the Fine TDs who did not get a job might speak up and put the country first,
or have they all got jobs.

Hitchcock

Ministers told they must seek permission to miss Dáil votes over
why would Catherine Murphy object to the additions, it doesn't change her position
I'd imagine it was linked to perhaps the SDs looking to link up with I4C to get a grouping of ten which I believe grants more speaking time but if I4C had been successful in getting the priority party status there would be no need to deal with the SDs.....I'll confess to not being 100% on all the different rules so I could be way off here but I heard something along these lines.

The coalition of Labour and particularly the SP working together was interesting. All differences over Jobstown and Cork seemed to be put aside to stymie I4C.

lostexpectation

Website
I'd imagine it was linked to perhaps the SDs looking to link up with I4C to get a grouping of ten which I believe grants more speaking time but if I4C had been successful in getting the priority party status there would be no need to deal with the SDs.....I'll confess to not being 100% on all the different rules so I could be way off here but I heard something along these lines.

The coalition of Labour and particularly the SP working together was interesting. All differences over Jobstown and Cork seemed to be put aside to stymie I4C.
two larger parties trying to get precedence over a smaller one is hardly surprising

lostexpectation

Website
this was Clare Daly I4C reaction to it https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2016-05-06a.8&s=election+speaker:321#g139

sadmal

It's Mick Wallace we're talking about. A tax dodger who would call loudly for tax reform without blushing. No doubt he has strong views on workers' pension entitlements and taxes on holiday homes as well.
Not to mention the minimum wage.

loner

The Seanad also sits for the first time at 2.30 pm an Wednesday---suppose thats ok for a part time job that only pays in excess of 60000 euros and extremely lavish expenses plus the services of a Private Secretary,
It will elect a Chairman who ,it would appear,has already been selected by Fianna Fail.
It will then adjourn for a week after completing this arduous tax and will thenin the near future take a 3 month holiday.
This is some legacy to our "Fenian Dead" whom we have been commemorating far and wide for the past 6 months.
Is this what they died for?.

lostexpectation

Website
The Seanad also sits for the first time at 2.30 pm an Wednesday---suppose thats ok for a part time job that only pays in excess of 60000 euros and extremely lavish expenses plus the services of a Private Secretary,
It will elect a Chairman who ,it would appear,has already been selected by Fianna Fail.
It will then adjourn for a week after completing this arduous tax and will thenin the near future take a 3 month holiday.
This is some legacy to our "Fenian Dead" whom we have been commemorating far and wide for the past 6 months.
what the hell does this have to do with Independents4change

here's a new thread on http://www.politics.ie/forum/oireachtas/248822-25th-seanad.html

Last edited:

statsman

Well, In my view the deaths of the Fenian dead are entirely irrelevant to what we decide to do nowadays, frankly. However, if we stretch things a bit and imagine that they may have died for a democratic republic, and add that tot he result of the Seanad referendum, well then yes, this is exactly what they died for.

If.

lostexpectation

Website
Last edited:

Breanainn

Interesting that they'll chair Coiste na Gaeilge - not aware of any of the original four being Gaeilgeoirs, but Catherine Connolly is a fluent speaker.

lostexpectation

Website

lostexpectation

Website
Interesting that they'll chair Coiste na Gaeilge - not aware of any of the original four being Gaeilgeoirs, but Catherine Connolly is a fluent speaker.
you were right Connolly Dáil summer recess could go on for although I don't think describing her a Independents4Change TD is right unless she's joined the party

Last edited:

lostexpectation

Website
Last edited:

Hitchcock

Cllr Ruth Nolan Lucan Independents4change. https://twitter.com/ruthnolanpbp another defection? https://www.facebook.com/Cllr-Ruth-Nolan-202509366585576/

seems to be only since early December but

https://www.facebook.com/DublinMidWest4Change/about/ Founded in March 2015

did she have a falling out with Gino Kenny? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Mid-West_(Dáil_Éireann_constituency)
I don't know the full details but this has been on the cards for a while. I think it's more general issue with PBPA than Kenny in particular.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies