• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

India arrests women over Facebook post criticising Mumbai shutdown

collina

This is an interesting story on the BBC at the moment.

Police in India have arrested a woman they say criticised on Facebook the shutdown of the city of Mumbai after the death of politician Bal Thackeray. A woman friend who "liked" the comment was also arrested, they said.

The women, accused of "hurting religious sentiments", were released on bail after appearing in court in the town of Palghar, police told the BBC.

It seems quite amazing, to me at least, that women can be arrested for making comments that in no way promote violence, criminality or anything that could be deemed in any way immoral. Basically these women critisised the shutdown of the city of Mumbai after the death of the controversial politician Bal Thackeray.

Anyone else find it odd that countries like India still don't allow freedom of speech for women?

BBC News - India arrests over Facebook post criticising Mumbai shutdown

Analyzer

I think we should expect Al Jazeera, the Beeb, and the Guardian to get very upset.

collina

I think we should expect Al Jazeera, the Beeb, and the Guardian to get very upset.
So two agencies and a newspaper.

Any thoughts on the freedom of speech element yourself? Or are ya not bothered because you can post on here with relative anonymity?

Potatoeman

Police in India have arrested a woman they say criticised on Facebook the shutdown of the city of Mumbai after the death of politician Bal Thackeray. A woman friend who "liked" the comment was also arrested, they said.

The women, accused of "hurting religious sentiments", were released on bail after appearing in court in the town of Palghar, police told the BBC.

It seems quite amazing, to me at least, that women can be arrested for making comments that in no way promote violence, criminality or anything that could be deemed in any way immoral. Basically these women critisised the shutdown of the city of Mumbai after the death of the controversial politician Bal Thackeray.

Anyone else find it odd that countries like India still don't allow freedom of speech for women?

Is it because she’s a woman or a general free speech issue?

Analyzer

So two agencies and a newspaper.

Any thoughts on the freedom of speech element yourself? Or are ya not bothered because you can post on here with relative anonymity?
I think that people should be allowed say whatever they like. And that is regardless of whoever has something to say.

And people can thereby ignore whoever they like.

I expect that Indian women will win this battle.

Tea Party Patriot

Pretty much disgraceful that criticism of a political decision takes you to gaol. The comment seems to be pretty harmless:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20390084

"People like Thackeray are born and die daily and one should not observe a 'bandh' [shutdown] for that."
I wasn't aware prior to this story that despite its semi third world status that India was such an oppressive regime.

collina

Is it because she’s a woman or a general free speech issue?
A bit of both.

The BBC ran with the headline which I used for the tread title. Its mainly a freedom of speech issue for me. It could become a women’s issue if it’s discovered no men were arrested for making similar views public. It’s hard to imagine that in a city the size of Mumbai others were not equally frustrated by a shutdown. Its even harder to understand why such an objection is an arrestable offence.

Tea Party Patriot

Perhaps you should rephrase that to "It seems quite amazing, to me at least, that people can be arrested". I don't think her sex had anything to do with it.

Both men and women should be concerned about such flagrant disregard for free speech.

Ramon Mercadar

Its appalling. But the same thing happens in the UK. A few people have actually been convicted and imprisoned over FB remarks.

Clanrickard

Thackeray was a thuggish far right brute who had a big following in Maharashtra. Could be the Police have Shiv Sena supporters in their ranks.

collina

collina

Its appalling. But the same thing happens in the UK. A few people have actually been convicted and imprisoned over FB remarks.
Yes, but those were criminal cases.

There is no discernable criminal element here at all. Just two women critisising the shutdown of a city.

Potatoeman

Didn’t they jail someone in India for political cartoons critical of the government?

ManOfReason

Freedom of speech is such a simple concept yet so many supposedly intelligent people (of all political persuasions) seem to have a real problem grasping it. Probably because most people are pretty much d1ckheads most of the time.

Last edited:

collina

Pretty much disgraceful that criticism of a political decision takes you to gaol. The comment seems to be pretty harmless:

I wasn't aware prior to this story that despite its semi third world status that India was such an oppressive regime.
I find the whole story disturbing.

It would be interesting to know if the police themselves decided to arrest the women, or if a magistrate or some such authority needs to be involved.

Presumably, a tourist in India could unknowingly become the victim of such an arrest. I mean, if Mumbai was shut down for the day while I was on holiday, I could see myself posting my frustration on Facebook.

Aindriu

former wesleyan

Yes, but those were criminal cases.

There is no discernable criminal element here at all. Just two women critisising the shutdown of a city.
Shiv Sena are capable of rioting to the extent that many lives would be lost. They're right up there with Muslims when it comes to being " offended ".

collina

Shiv Sena are capable of rioting to the extent that many lives would be lost. They're right up there with Muslims when it comes to being " offended ".
These women were not rioting or anything like it.

The BBC piece says that "many others were angered by the inconvenience to commuters and several people were critical on social media sites". So why the oppresive move against these two women in particular?

If we are apathetic towards the right of these women to make civil and peaceful public comment without fear of arrest, then why do we demand such rights for ourselves? Surely what is freedom of speech for us should be the same in India?

former wesleyan

These women were not rioting or anything like it.

The BBC piece says that "many others were angered by the inconvenience to commuters and several people were critical on social media sites". So why the oppresive move against these two women in particular?

If we are apathetic towards the right of these women to make civil and peaceful public comment without fear of arrest, then why do we demand such rights for ourselves? Surely what is freedom of speech for us should be the same in India?
I know that the women weren't rioting. I meant that Shiv Sena are capable of " being offended " by slights, perceived or real.

Popular Threads

Most Replies