• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

India outrage at Australian racist violence

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Cartoon in racist attacks furore

Australia has condemned as "deeply offensive" an Indian newspaper cartoon depicting the police as members of the racist Ku Klux Klan.

The BBC

The Delhi Mail Today newspaper published the cartoon in response to the murder of Indian student Nitin Garg in Melbourne last weekend. The cartoon shows a person in a Ku Klux Klan hood wearing a police badge, with a caption that reads: "We are yet to ascertain the nature of the crime".

The Indian media has suggested the attack may have been racially motivated, but Melbourne police say there is no evidence of that.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Cartoon in racist attacks furore". </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

teapot

Surely the Aussies could just find out where the cartoonist lives and send some goddam flake there with an axe and a knife to do him in? Making sure first that said 'assassin' is known to international intelligence (of not intelligent) agencies. They could also burn Indian flags in the streets; break the windows of curry importers and generally ride around in pickup trucks firing off their AK47's.

That's how the other side does it, ain't it?

former wesleyan

Surely the Aussies could just find out where the cartoonist lives and send some goddam flake there with an axe and a knife to do him in? Making sure first that said 'assassin' is known to international intelligence (of not intelligent) agencies. They could also burn Indian flags in the streets; break the windows of curry importers and generally ride around in pickup trucks firing off their AK47's.

That's how the other side does it, ain't it?
Given that Nitin Garg isn't an islamic name... who do you mean by " the other side " ?

former wesleyan

+1
All those indian muslums and Pakistani Hindus have it coming to them.
Given that Buddhism originated in India before missionaries took it to Japan, I was thinking that this thread could be merged with the Whaling by Japs thread to facilitate the racists.:shock:

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
In the 12 months to June 2006, 1082 attacks on Indians in Victoria were reported to police - an assault rate of 1700 in every 100,000. In other words, Indians living in Victoria are 2½ times more likely than non-Indians to be beaten up or knifed. Why?

The most contentious theory - the one that has caused such damage to Australian-Indian relations - is that Indian students are targeted by Romper Stomper-style teenage thugs looking to reassert control over suburbs newly populated by Sikhs and Hindus; an atavistic and violent response by racists sick of Indians working in every service station, every pub, every cab they frequent.

Another theory is that Indian students are ''soft targets'', ''walking ATMs'' carrying mobile phones, iPods and jewellery as they travel on public transport between university and late night work shifts.

Others argue the Indian Government and media are whipping up a storm because they are angry that Australia refused to sell uranium to India.

Source

Last Monday night, a few of Nitin Garg's friends burned candles and placed white and pink roses on a bare patch of ground in Cruickshank Park. The friends also placed on the ground two small pieces of paper marked, ''Indian students welcome here''.

Interista

I don't know the ins and outs of this particular case, but I will say that I find a lot of 'Aussies' to be insufferably smug. They believe they have created the perfect society and will brook no criticism thereof. They could never understand that attitudes such as racism or intolerance might be present in their perfect country. Of course not all Australians are like this, but in my experience quite a few of them are.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
I don't know the ins and outs of this particular case, but I will say that I find a lot of 'Aussies' to be insufferably smug. They believe they have created the perfect society and will brook no criticism thereof. They could never understand that attitudes such as racism or intolerance might be present in their perfect country. Of course not all Australians are like this, but in my experience quite a few of them are.
You're been too kind I think - racism and intolerance exists there, particularly towards the original inhabitants of the continent. It's shockingly casual.

former wesleyan

In the 12 months to June 2006, 1082 attacks on Indians in Victoria were reported to police - an assault rate of 1700 in every 100,000. In other words, Indians living in Victoria are 2½ times more likely than non-Indians to be beaten up or knifed. Why?

The most contentious theory - the one that has caused such damage to Australian-Indian relations - is that Indian students are targeted by Romper Stomper-style teenage thugs looking to reassert control over suburbs newly populated by Sikhs and Hindus; an atavistic and violent response by racists sick of Indians working in every service station, every pub, every cab they frequent.

Another theory is that Indian students are ''soft targets'', ''walking ATMs'' carrying mobile phones, iPods and jewellery as they travel on public transport between university and late night work shifts.

Others argue the Indian Government and media are whipping up a storm because they are angry that Australia refused to sell uranium to India.

Source

Last Monday night, a few of Nitin Garg's friends burned candles and placed white and pink roses on a bare patch of ground in Cruickshank Park. The friends also placed on the ground two small pieces of paper marked, ''Indian students welcome here''.
Oz tried these tactics on Lebanese immigrants. It failed !

Interista

You're been too kind I think - racism and intolerance exists there, particularly towards the original inhabitants of the continent. It's shockingly casual
I agree. I've sometimes been quite shocked at the opinions voiced by sophisticated urban "Aussies'.

I have ot agree with those who say that had the Aussies not decimated the original population of the country, they would likely have come up with a system very much akin to Apartheid. The same colonial mentality is at work.

You might remember that last week an Indian student was murdered in Melbourne, prompting demonstrations by Indians there and protests by the Indian government at what it considered the blasé attitude of the Australian authorities towards racist violence against their citizens. Well another Indian man has been attacked in Melbourne, set alight and left critically ill with 15% of his body burned. The police have again played it down, saying that there is 'no evidence' that it was racially motivated:

Det Sgt Neil Smyth said the attack had been "an unusual event" but that it appeared to have been carried out at random.
"There is no reason at this stage to consider this in any way racially motivated," he told reporters.
"The circumstances of parking a car randomly on a side street and just some people approaching him are a bit strange and it's highly unlikely, therefore, to be a targeted attack on any individual."
How he just decides that it mustn't have been racist because it was opportunistic rather than pre-planned is simply beyond me.

But the BBC's Nick Bryant in Sydney says the latest attack is bound to increase the sense of outrage in India, following the murder last weekend of Indian graduate student Nitin Garg.
That came after a spate of attacks against Indian students last year, which deterred many from studying in Australia.
The Indian government earlier this week issued an advisory warning about the dangers of travelling to Melbourne, Australia's second largest city.
One Indian newspaper published a cartoon last week portraying the Australian police as the KKK, with the caption 'We are yet to ascertain the nature of the crime'.

Once again the stunning level of racism in Australian society has been exposed on the international stage, and once again the Australians are denying there's a problem, just as they do with the way they view and treat the Aboriginal people. This time, however, they have to deal with the outrage of a very powerful trading partner, and might, for once, be forced to confront their repressed macho culture and at least one of its ugly manifestations....

The cartoon, from India's Mail Today newspaper, caused outrage in Australia:

The editor of the Mail Today newspaper, Bharat Bhushan, has defended his decision to publish the controversial cartoon.
Mr Bhushan has also defended the paper's cartoonist, R Prasad, who drew the piece in response to attacks on young Indian men in Melbourne.
"What he does is he exaggerates things," Mr Bhushan said.
"He forces people to look at a particular point of view, which we had thought in a mature society like Australia would lead to introspection, rather it has led to hysteria."
But Mr Bhushan says the anti-Australian sentiment will stop as soon as there is an end to violence against Indians in Australia.
"The day racist attacks stop, the day these criminals are brought to justice, you would not find any newspaper in India calling Australians racist," he said.
KKK cartoon causing hysteria, editor says - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Nothing like a good smokescreen to prevent you having to confront your society's obvious shortcomings...

imokyrok

The cartoon, from India's Mail Today newspaper, caused outrage in Australia:

KKK cartoon causing hysteria, editor says - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Nothing like a good smokescreen to prevent you having to confront your society's obvious shortcomings...
I've a sister married to an Australian and living in Perth and she finds it quite difficult not to absorb the casual racism endemic around her. It it definitely very pronounced over there. It's not very long since Australia had very racist immigration policies and we all know the history of their treatment of aborigines.

My girlfriend was in Australia last year for six months, she said she was shocked by the way they spoke, and by the way they just assumed she'd be complicit in the racism and the assumptions informing it. My sister was there for two years and said the same, saying that she found it a repressively 'macho' culture with much violence against women, home-drinking alcoholism, and repressed homosexuality.

There's a wiki on the attacks on Indian students during 2008-10, even the Chinese authorities have expressed concern for their own citizens studying in Australia.
2009 attacks on Indian students in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jimmyfour

How he just decides that it mustn't have been racist because it was opportunistic rather than pre-planned is simply beyond me.
Jumping on the "racist" bandwagon is as bad as calling him a "nazi", and totally baseless.

There is no evidence to suggest it was racially motivated, except that the victim was not white. Was the killing of that Swiss girl in Galway racially motivated? She wasn't Irish, but obviously when anyone non-white is attacked it's clearly due to their skin colour and not for any other reason.

Calling this racist *is* in fact racist, because you can't treat an Indian person as just a person. They have to come with a skin-colour stamp, apparently.

jimmyfour

White tourists in India are way more likley to be mugged or scammed when in India. ******************************g racist Indians, eh?

Irish people living in Traveller settlements are more likley to be attacked, Racist travellers?

White people travelling in South America are more likely to be killed than native South Americans, viewed as walking ATMs, etc., . Racists down there too?

This is nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the boundaries that communities maintain themselves, not on the borders drawn up by politicians.

meriwether

There were tracist attacks in Cronulla in Christmas 2005 (I had just landed in Oz for the year), which were large scale riots, and almost pogroms against dark skinned individuals, mainly Arabs/Muslims.

Its undoubtedly a society with a lot of racism in it - against Arabs, Aboriginies, and everyone who looks a bit mediterranian - 'wop's' is an all covering phrase.

However, regarding the point above that these attacks are racist in nature and are being covered up by authorities - the opposite is also true, in that there have been cases in past years where attacks were committed on Australian women by arab/muslim males, that were completely hushed up and swept under the carpet to keep a lid on things.

Secondly, from my experience, Arabs and Muslims living in Oz aren't the best integrators (this is a generalisation, but for instance, the Irish integrate far better - why?). The Oz culture of beers and beaches apparently offends a minority of those who move there. Can't understand why they move there in the first place. The Cronulla riots started as a rally against people being attacked on the beach by roaming gangs, including gangs of males of Arab appearance. It escalated pretty quickly, however.

I'm not condoning racist attitudes towards Arabs or Muslims, I hasten to add. I'm merely pointing out that racist Bruce from Wagga Wagga isn't the only bad apple we have to deal with.

Im thoroughly bemused at attacks towards Indians however - I never came across any anti-Indian attitude, or indeed anti-Japanese or Chinese attiotudes from the locals, and there are loads of each group in Oz, especially Melbourne.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies