Indo - adjustment may be as high as €15 billion

jacko

TonyBird

Didnt you see propaganda Pat tonight ? Thats all in the past ! Even if you read it next week ! Just move on . Whats done is done and what is to be done is not for us to decide . Now quiet down and drink the 'kool aid' (wiki it !) .

Littlejenny

ndia raised interest rates for the second time in a month this week, joining Malaysia and Australia in increasing borrowing costs, while Thailand, South Korea and Indonesia have remained on hold.

nicht besonders

Quelle surprise.

Dreaded_Estate

'No belief ' 3% deficit target will be met - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 19, 2010

IRISH TAXATION INSTITUTE DEBATE: BEHIND CLOSED doors, “I don’t think anyone believes” Ireland is going to reach a target of a 3 per cent deficit by 2014, economics professor Karl Whelan told a meeting organised by the Irish Taxation Institute in Kildare St, Dublin, last night.

He said he believed people should focus on the upcoming budget and getting the public finances on the right path. Otherwise Ireland might not be able to return to the bond markets and the International Monetary Fund would introduce a four-year plan for the economy that would be worse than the worst imaginings of the secretary general of the Ictu, David Begg.

captainwillard

ONQ

and so it appears that Lenihan and friends have been misleading us again

Double the pain - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie
The banks aren't lending so the recovery is stunted.
The government departments aren't spending so the recovery is stunted.
Two things that should have us all on the streets to demand the government policy changes in these two areas.

The two percent growth is a recovery without jobs, based on the increased exports of multi-nationals who are located here, not on increased economic activity within this country.
We are still being led by non-business people, who won't take the cuts needed in the public service and won't stimulate the economy as required.
Taking money out of the public service may put some on the dole for a while, but investing the money saved in the economy will turn us around.

There is a balance, but they aren't even attempting to balance things.
Nor do I think Burton and Bruton will do a better job.
We are so screwed!

bormotello

The banks aren't lending so the recovery is stunted.
The government departments aren't spending so the recovery is stunted.
Two things that should have us all on the streets to demand the government policy changes in these two areas.
If recovery will be based only ob lending by banks and government spending – it will be false recovery, the same as it was false growth during property bubble
The two percent growth is a recovery without jobs, based on the increased exports of multi-nationals who are located here, not on increased economic activity within this country.
Government should stimulate creation of own export orientated companies.

Cassandra Syndrome

Didnt you see propaganda Pat tonight ? Thats all in the past ! Even if you read it next week ! Just move on . Whats done is done and what is to be done is not for us to decide . Now quiet down and drink the 'kool aid' (wiki it !) .
Oh the populist tripe on the Bluntwhine last night.

We need a grand big Oak tree in the middle of Ireland to grow money and we can plug the deficit that way..

Give me fifty grand and I'll can turn this economy around.....

I reckon Herr EU has dictated Lennie to go for a €6 Billion cut of a budget or else they will foreclose. We will be warmed up for this over the next 2 months by the Psyops in the DoF and the corporate media.

Meanwhile every Monday night the flicking between the Apprentice and the Frontline can provide some comic relief for us.

Holy Cow

Cut €15 billion without sinking the country? LOL ?

ONQ

If recovery will be based only ob lending by banks and government spending – it will be false recovery, the same as it was false growth during property bubble
That's not the case.
Exports and imports taken together define the balance of payments.
They inform the exchequer whether we're a net importer or net exporter.

The "size" of an economy is based on the total number of transactions, not on its exports.
The internal economy is contracting because of a lack of lending capital and a lack of government spending.
Quite apart from the multiplier effect kicking in, stimulation from these areas will help restore consumer confidence.

Consumer confidence has taken multiple hits over the past two years and is currently also holding back our economic recovery.
People have to start spending again, but with short-sighted policies having gotten us into this mess, it looks like we're allowing them keep us there.

Overall, we need to stop the skills-and-brain drain abroad so this needs to change, and soon.
Otherwise we won't be positioned to recover well from the current economic downturn.

Government should stimulate creation of own export orientated companies.
On that we agree.

Last edited:

hammer

All this year
Tax take is in line with expectations
Tax take has stabilised
We expect to collect €31 billion in tax revenue this year

Yesterday

There is a fall off in tax revenue expected for the rest of the year

:) :)

Do not believe one word from Minister of Finance or Dept of Finance.

Not ONE word

Last edited:
I know many families that cant take the hit, a lot of these people have told me that should they cut Child allowance etc they will take to the streets.

A lot of these people are Women.

Even Gerard Fitzgerald last night on Vinny Browne was saying the government have made a hash of it, but when a viewer text in had Gerard taken a cut he replied,

It was against the constitution for him to take a cut in EITHER of his pensions, Ministerial and Dail.

Vinny asked him did he still have his 2 Gardai drivers and State Car.

Yes he did, but there wasnt anything he could do about that.

I have a lot of time for Gerard Fitzgerald but I see no reason for him to have 2 pensions and there is something he can do about the state car. DONT USE IT.

Until the Elites are prepared to take savage cuts like they want the rest of us to take I can see a lot of violence on the streets during 2011.

Last edited:

ONQ

All this year
Tax take is in line with expectations
Tax take has stabilised
We expect to collect €31 billion in tax revenue this year

Yesterday

There is a fall off in tax revenue expected for the rest of the year

:) :)

Do not believe one work from Minister of Finance or Dept of Finance.

Not ONE word
At the risk of being villifed by the FF-ers here, it has to be said.

Is this an example of Mature Reflection at work?

Outlander

At the risk of being villifed by the FF-ers here, it has to be said.

Is this an example of Mature Reflection at work?
The mature reflection facing our national finances is in Dorian Gray's mirror.

jacko

I know many families that cant take the hit, a lot of these people have told me that should they cut Child allowance etc they will take to the streets.

A lot of these people are Women.

Even Gerard Fitzgerald last night on Vinny Browne was saying the government have made a hash of it, but when a viewer text in had Gerard taken a cut he replied,

It was against the constitution for him to take a cut in EITHER of his pensions, Ministerial and Dail.

Vinny asked him did he still have his 2 Gardai drivers and State Car.

Yes he did, but there wasnt anything he could do about that.

I have a lot of time for Gerard Fitzgerald but I see no reason for him to have 2 pensions and there is something he can do about the state car. DONT USE IT.

Until the Elites are prepared to take savage cuts like they want the rest of us to take I can see a lot of violence on the streets during 2011.
unlike his daughter in law who last year returned €13,975.92 of a €17,303.52 pension

Eleven ex-ministers return part of pension - The Irish Times - Wed, Oct 06, 2010

always struck me as adecent and honourable person. Fair play to her

bormotello

That's not the case.
Exports and imports taken together define the balance of payments.
They inform the exchequer whether we're a net importer or net exporter.

The "size" of an economy is based on the total number of transactions, not on its exports.
The internal economy is contracting because of a lack of lending capital and a lack of government spending.
Quite apart from the multiplier effect kicking in, stimulation from these areas will help restore consumer confidence.

Consumer confidence has taken multiple hits over the past two years and is currently also holding back our economic recovery.
People have to start spending again, but with short-sighted policies having gotten us into this mess, it looks like we're allowing them keep us there.

Overall, we need to stop the skills-and-brain drain abroad so this needs to change, and soon.
Otherwise we won't be positioned to recover well from the current economic downturn.
Problem is that finally all economical activities will end in import, because Ireland is not self-sufficient country
Now we have for Q2/10 Balance of primary incomes with the rest of the world -8.133 Bn
CSO - Statistics: IMF Summary Data-Ireland
It means that Ireland is already net importer
Then we can add to 5 Bn per quarter, which were borrowed to keep public sector with welfare benefits and finally we have that country must reduce spending by 13 Bn
Having single currency doesn't mean that country can afford negative balance with rest of the world
Of coarse, it will have huge impact on local economy, but I don't see other way. Redistribution of money through taxes or through consumer spending will not generate any money to cover balance in trade

culmore

Is the Indo starting to tell the truth at last, I suppose they will blame Enda for it tomorrow

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies