• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Indo is now a tabloid

Radix

The Sindo has been tabloid trash for about 15 years.
I'm inclined to agree with you Ryan, but on pausing for a moment of mature reflection it is probably fairer to say that it contained a lot of trash. It really showed the seedy underbelly of the Celtic tiger, and it aided and abetted it, milking the greediness of it for all it was worth.

The fawning of Barry Egan used to make me cringe, embarrassed at how shallow we must have appeared to the rest of the world. Then on the other hand the perfectly lovely Patricia Redlich was an oasis of common sense and real compassion. I think it wrong to judge an entire publication because of some of its content. That goes for Politics.ie as well.

Analyzer

Given the number of disgraced people from the previous FF/PD/GP regime who are having their opinions included in it as journalism, I would say that the term "Tabloid" may be too generous a description for the Indo.

The_dENzD

Clearly this is a cost cutting measure.

IN&M will loose sales as a result from old dears who wont buy the tabloid format, from less visibility in shops with just one pile of newspapers and from people who perceive tabloid to equal trash. Sales will be hit in 2013.

There was one interesting comment in the article from the Indo editor: "Mr Rae did not rule out that the newspaper may decide to move exclusively online in the future".

Fisherman1

IN&M will loose sales as a result from old dears who wont buy the tabloid format, from less visibility in shops with just one pile of newspapers and from people who perceive tabloid to equal trash. Sales will be hit in 2013.

There was one interesting comment in the article from the Indo editor: "Mr Rae did not rule out that the newspaper may decide to move exclusively online in the future".

Shoot. The free copies I got of the Indo in it's various forms used to fit accross the bottom of the parrots cage.

Business Post now I suppose.

As a mentally deficient PS I have not bought any Indo since Jody named me. I just wonder if one sixth of the earning population of Ireland felt the same way.

ISME and IBEC need to look pretty carefully at where their income comes from :lol:

Victor Meldrew

That will invariably mean that the IT will continue it's descent south as well.

firefly123

Shoot. The free copies I got of the Indo in it's various forms used to fit accross the bottom of the parrots cage.

As a mentally deficient PS I have not bought any Indo since Jody named me. I just wonder if one sixth of the earning population of Ireland felt the same way.

ISME and IBEC need to look pretty carefully at where their income comes from :lol:
Never bought the rag since then myself. Journalism for Dublin 4 and screw the rest of the country.

Aristodemus

Never bought the rag since then myself. Journalism for Dublin 4 and screw the rest of the country.
More like journalism for Dublin 10 & 12 with aspirations to be Dublin 6. Dublin 4 is more the Irish Times

Truth.ie

Increasingly dumbed down.
I read it online, and saw a few days ago it had an article on some woman (no idea who) who had a new hairstyle.
Today online, it had a report on Adam Clayton's new hairstyle.
It seems to be aiming to attract a more female readership.
Can some of the women posters tell me this. Does this crap interest you?
Maybe I'm just out of touch.

riker1969

Its a shame that in terms of content Ireland really has only one Broadsheet daily. There are good columnists in the Tabloids but by and large its opium for the masses and sound bite politics. If politic.ie could be a paper it would be the Indo. The Irish Times is still the paper of record even if its full of right on columnists.

tipp revolution

1. Both indo and Sindo headlines are consistently unhappy with the performance of the govt, which kinda surprised me as I thought Denis OBrien was in charge and the Denis Lowry FG connection etc. But one of the local's expert panel informs me that Anne Harris is still in driving seat in the Sindo? and she has so many relations working for the paper that if O Brien were to come over all heavy and bossman it could be another Indogate.

2. I know a couple who are very offended at this bloody staple in the middle as they can no longer divide the paper between them. Their karma has been disturbed and I think thats shocking.

3. How long before the red banner appears.

4. The examiner is a right paper of a day you are not feeling lofty - but very bad on the deaths outside corkkerry - mind you arent they all getting very shoddy on that front?. I thought you had to publicly inform the world about a death(courtesy if nothing else). How exorbitant is the cost of publishing a death notice or are undertakers gone bone lazy?

An Gilladaker

Exposing your parrots to Indo is that legal:shock:

FloatingVoterTralee

Its a shame that in terms of content Ireland really has only one Broadsheet daily.
The Irish Examiner has regular investigative pieces, and certainly can't be accused of tabloidisation. Granted, there's still a heavy Munster emphasis, but in many respects they're in Catch-22 territory as to how to change that.

jmcc

Increasingly dumbed down.
Wonder if there's any link between the early adopters and more enlightened readers getting their news from other news sources (online) and the residual readership? RTE crucified the Irish Times and the Indo in terms of breaking news online. Though the bozos in the Irish Times actually handed RTE a dominant market position by banjaxing its online subscription/PPV implementation. Apparently the Indo wants to do something similar in the near future.

optics

In fairness the (S)indo has been crap for many years now. When it was covering the Sean Quinn case in court this summer it had sections about Karen Woods's fashion style!

Davidoff

The change of format will hit sales amongst older customers. It's a key demographic for the Indo.

In a recent survey 25% of readers were found to have dementia (as against only 23% of the people who write for the paper).

TommyO'Brien

With the entire group now only valued at €11m and with debts of a quarter of a billion the entire group is fighting for survival. They will do anything to cut costs.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies