• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

raetsel

If there had been any credible threat from a virus, the safe thing to do was let the ex-customer pay for his stuff and get him out of the shop as quick as possible.
But why do that, when you can make a fuss instead.
It had nothing to do with making a fuss. There was a risk that the clown was infected obviously but it was important to make him obey the law. The last thing to do was to give in to the idiot and let him get away with it. That way he would do it again and again.
That clown without the mask is a criminal who deserves a month in chokey for his shameful harassment of hard working shop staff.
You do need to realise that a significant majority of people actively support mask wearing where polls have been conducted, and of course it is obvious from people's behaviour where the vast majority are observant.

recedite

it was important to make him obey the law.
Course it was. On the other hand, it was important for him to express his freedom from being made to obey arbitrary laws.
I'm just saying, aside from all that... if you were looking at it purely from a medical/public health perspective, you would not be grabbing all the groceries back from him.

mangaire2

Course it was. On the other hand, it was important for him to express his freedom from being made to obey arbitrary laws.
I'm just saying, aside from all that... if you were looking at it purely from a medical/public health perspective, you would not be grabbing all the groceries back from him.
you wouldn't.
you'd have frogmarched the ruffian to the door,
& given him a couple of good kicks in the arse.

raetsel

The law is not arbitrary. Mask wearing has been introduced as a preventative measure all around the world and most medical experts believe that it will reduce the virus. When you enter any business why would you even think you have the right to do as you please and not observe the rules of the business? You cannot smoke in shops etc. any more, with good reason. The short term risks from inhaling someone else's cigarette smoke is much, much less than the risk from inadvertently inhaling Covid 19 from an infected person.
As for taking the basket trolley from him, he had unfortunately little alternative as he wanted to give him the bum's rush with as much haste as possible. I'm sure he had plenty of sanitiser at his disposal to clean his hands with subsequently. And anyone with any common sense using it subsequently would wipe the handle down with sanitiser before using it anyway.

recedite

As for taking the basket trolley from him, he had unfortunately little alternative as he wanted to give him the bum's rush with as much haste as possible. I'm sure he had plenty of sanitiser at his disposal to clean his hands with subsequently. And anyone with any common sense using it subsequently would wipe the handle down with sanitiser before using it anyway.
No basket involved, the guy scoops up all the groceries from the conveyor belt into his sweaty hands and bare arms.

It wasn't long ago that they advised us not to wear facemasks, but to wear gloves when in a supermarket, and if you touched anything with bare hands you were supposed to buy it.
Same virus, same situation. That's what I call arbitrary.

For some people its all about being seen to bravely enforce the rule, no matter what the rule is. For others its all about displaying their freedom by having the balls to break silly rules. Most people however are like sheep, they will do whatever the majority are doing, and try not to stand out.
That's human nature.

Buchaill Dana

His freedom to break the law.

Riiggghhhttt

USER1234

Last edited:
Last edited:
Shops (except for the reasons prescribed by the Equal Status Acts 2000-2018) do have the reasonable right to refuse entry or service, so even if the law didn't say you must wear masks (which it does), in this current corona-virus pandemic shop owners are well in their own rights to demand all customers coming in wear masks and take the other precautions to protect both staff and other customers and can refuse entry and service if the customer refuses, don't forget shops are private businesses!

raetsel

No basket involved, the guy scoops up all the groceries from the conveyor belt into his sweaty hands and bare arms.

It wasn't long ago that they advised us not to wear facemasks, but to wear gloves when in a supermarket, and if you touched anything with bare hands you were supposed to buy it.
Same virus, same situation. That's what I call arbitrary.
It's a new virus and it is obvious why we were told not to wear masks back in Feb/March. There was a worldwide shortage, even for medical staff. They saw people panic buying all around them, and didn't want to increase shortages in the hospitals. They will never admit that they lied of course, but it was justified at the time and it was also fairly obviously a lie. Common sense should tell you that they are effective in preventing infection.

For some people its all about being seen to bravely enforce the rule, no matter what the rule is. For others its all about displaying their freedom by having the balls to break silly rules. Most people however are like sheep, they will do whatever the majority are doing, and try not to stand out.
That's human nature.
They are breaking the law and they are criminal scumbags. You have the brains of a sheep quite obviously.

Buchaill Dana

Sociopathic is the only word

bactrian

This is the type of argument that says , as Isaac Asimov put it "My Ignorance Is Just As Good As Your Knowledge".

recedite

This is the type of argument that says , as Isaac Asimov put it "My Ignorance Is Just As Good As Your Knowledge".
That particular quote was intended to be elitist when he made it, ie it is a rebuttal of the "one man=one vote" principle.
Without going too much down that rabbithole, let us just say that in principle a Republican places more value on the rule of law than a Democrat, whose basic tenet is majority rule, which is also known disparagingly as populism.
There is always a balance to be struck. Society needs people to be law abiding, but people who always obey laws can be very bad for society. To take a extreme example, in 1940's a large number of railway staff and local police all around Europe ensured that jews were sent away on trains in an orderly way, all done according to the rules.
In "I Robot" the world is ruled by a benign elite which allocates jobs and resources around the globe, to achieve the best overrall result. The twist at the end reveals that the ruling elite is not even human. The closest to Asimov's ideal today is probably China.

fat finger

I don’t get why Waters has gone down this road.

He should know better and just sitting there while the hurley Pakistani comment was made is just awful.
What Waters is doing is standing on his own two feet, not something easily recognised in this country because so few people ever do it, Waters is standing up and being counted, he is doing the country some service

bactrian

That particular quote was intended to be elitist when he made it, ie it is a rebuttal of the "one man=one vote" principle.
Without going too much down that rabbithole, let us just say that in principle a Republican places more value on the rule of law than a Democrat, whose basic tenet is majority rule, which is also known disparagingly as populism.
There is always a balance to be struck. Society needs people to be law abiding, but people who always obey laws can be very bad for society. To take a extreme example, in 1940's a large number of railway staff and local police all around Europe ensured that jews were sent away on trains in an orderly way, all done according to the rules.
In "I Robot" the world is ruled by a benign elite which allocates jobs and resources around the globe, to achieve the best overrall result. The twist at the end reveals that the ruling elite is not even human. The closest to Asimov's ideal today is probably China.
Just to be clear: You think that your complete gobshitery has the same worth as knowledge based argument??

Splodge

What Waters is doing is standing on his own two feet, not something easily recognised in this country because so few people ever do it, Waters is standing up and being counted, he is doing the country some service
These pig ignorant gobdaws are putting us all at risk.

bactrian

You didn't understand a single word I said there, did you ;)
Yes I did , which is why I made my reply.

Stupidity does not warrant respect.

Try smartness!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom