• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Indo: "Keep Savita's name out of abortion row – husband"

Dublin 4

PRAVEEN Halappanavar was left "hurt" and "distressed" by the use of his wife Savita's image during an attack on a pro-life office, writes Caroline Crawford.
Excrement was smeared on the door, locks and shutters of the Youth Defence office on Capel St in Dublin in an attack by abortion rights campaigners. Photos and news clippings about Mrs Halappanavar (31) were stuck to the building.
"Praveen was deeply distressed by the events. He doesn't want Savita's name or memory tarnished in this manner," said his solicitor Gerard O'Donnell. "He doesn't want to be embroiled in the dispute that is going on around this issue, he is simply looking for answers on his wife's death."
The Galway solicitor also said that Mr Halappanavar has still not been furnished with a copy of the report into the death of Savita more than two weeks after a draft report was leaked.
Keep Savita's name out of abortion row

This is shocking stuff.

I welcome the intervention of Mr Halappanavar a truly gentle person who has suffered enough.

Hopefully his wishes will bring calm to a situation which is now truly deplorable.

If only those responsible for these acts could see that Irish people have an aversion to extremism & the acts do no-one any good.

Did anyone ever see the Abortion Debate falling to this level of depravity?

Lets hope Ivana et al quickly condemn these incredible acts.

Honecker

Some of these pro-choicers are just as nuts as the pro-lifers. There is very little sane debate on the abortion question.

Sync

The report hasn't been finalised. He's not going to get the report until it's finalised. Why is his solicitor making a public statement about not recieving a report that hasn't been finished yet?

As for complaining about pro-choice/pro-life teams using his wife as a clarion call for their side: You went public on this. You made statements through yourself and through your solicitor. The opportunity for privacy has been passed up, it's too late to get it back.

Astral Peaks

Did anyone ever see the Abortion Debate falling to this level of depravity?
Yes.

Utterly predictable, in fact.

Were you not around for the Great Unpleasantness of the 80's?

Astral Peaks

These girls don't like the type who are into scat. You never know though!:D Kinda hot when you think about them innocent girls with their innocent smiles and into playing with their sh*t!
Reported!!

Hitch, you need the help of a professional.

Dublin 4

Maybe there was Ast- there are some loons out there...

Honecker

The report hasn't been finalised. He's not going to get the report until it's finalised. Why is his solicitor making a public statement about not recieving a report that hasn't been finished yet?

As for complaining about pro-choice/pro-life teams using his wife as a clarion call for their side: You went public on this. You made statements through yourself and through your solicitor. The opportunity for privacy has been passed up, it's too late to get it back.
Didn't he pass on the info about his wife being denied an abortion to some extreme feminist group in galway?

Astral Peaks

Amen!!

petaljam

a report that hasn't been finished yet?
That's a bit dishonest. The report was leaked - which is why the family have a problem with all and sundry having information which they, the family, can't verify. They weren't the source of the leak, of course. You seem harsher on Mr Halappanavar for going public than on the members of the investigation for doing the same. Why?
So basically he had a choice between shutting up and letting a stitched-up investigation conclude that it was all very unfortunate but nothing could have been done, or allowing a free-for-all?

I believe he waited two weeks after his wife's death before going public because he was getting nowhere with the hospital authorities. I don't think that means he forfeits any right to say how his wife's picture and name should be used, it's not as if he did it to court celebrity. Though I know some of the more toxic posters here have accused him of that.

Picasso Republic

There are two very seperate issues within your OP.

1. Mr Halappanavar sees his loss and the issues surrounding it as being seperate from the wider debate. He is absolutely correct, there are issues surrounding the death of his wife which require full disclosure, further investigations and could potentially fall under the umbrella of professional misconduct/negligence etc (or not as the case may be).

2. There is a very divisive and public abortion debate taking place in Ireland where the population seems equally split on whether some legislation is required or whether the status quo should be preserved. Unfortunately the extreme and 'fanatical' elements on both sides of the argument are becomming increasingly aggressive in pushing their agenda.

It is not acceptable to smear excrement on an opponents premises, nor is it acceptable to send grotesque pictures randomly through the mail. Democracy is about accepting alternative opinions on subjects no matter how unpalatable and the extreme elements within the debate need to accept that for many of their opponents who are religous, abortion is considered murder, the flip side is that the religous groups must realise that there are many who believe there is nothing wrong with (in fact there is a need for) abortion (although with many many different views on the boundaries of the required legislation).

I would be somewhere in the middle and although not wanting to see a UK style abortion on demand up to may months of a pregnancy, I cannot understand the hostility by some to legislating for situations similar to the Halappanavar case. I cannot understand how Catholic Mothers, Fathers, Siblings and Husbands can state that they would do exactly as the medical staff did and permit their loved one to die - that attitude in itself is an abomination.

Hitch 22

[video=youtube;0OjW8N0F-Vk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OjW8N0F-Vk[/video]

Sync

That's a bit dishonest. The report was leaked - which is why the family have a problem with all and sundry having information which they, the family, can't verify. They weren't the source of the leak, of course. You seem harsher on Mr Halappanavar for going public than on the members of the investigation for doing the same. Why?
It's not the final report. If his solicitor was complaining about the leaking of the draft and demanding an investigation into who leaked it (including possible criminal investigation) then that would be fine, and something I'd fully agree with. His solicitor is complaining that he hasn't gotten the final version of a report that doesn't exist yet.

So basically he had a choice between shutting up and letting a stitched-up investigation conclude that it was all very unfortunate but nothing could have been done, or allowing a free-for-all?

I believe he waited two weeks after his wife's death before going public because he was getting nowhere with the hospital authorities. I don't think that means he forfeits any right to say how his wife's picture and name should be used, it's not as if he did it to court celebrity. Though I know some of the more toxic posters here have accused him of that.
He went public on the issue before exhausting all regular channels. He and his team were the ones that went public with their version of what happened. They caused the publicity. I don't think they did it out of a wish for celebrity at all, I think he was hurt, angry and wanted answers quickly and wanted a public eye on the death of his wife. All of which is understandable. But there are consequences to those actions, and these are some of the consequences.

I'm not being harsh on him going public, I'm being harsh on the whining that's taking place over perfectly forseeable events occur as a result with him going public and making stupid complaints about not recieving a report that hasn't been finished yet.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies