IndyRef2

McSlaggart

The SNP’s 48 MPs could trigger a constitutional crisis by resigning their seats if Boris Johnson refuses to allow IndyRef2, according to a senior party figure.

Angus MacNeil believes forcing by-elections across Scotland could be a route to establishing a mandate for independence if the Prime Minister ignores the SNP’s plan A of a legal referendum.

The explosive proposal would plunge the Commons into chaos in the wake of the Conservatives’ landslide election victory.

MacNeil, SNP MP for Na h-Eileanan an Iar, said: “I am in favour of a plan B because if Boris doesn’t play ball with plan A, we can’t just say, ‘OK, you win,’ over and above the democratic will of the people.

“If the UK Government is saying there is no referendum for five years then plan B has to be a direct mandate from an election.

“All the MPs in Scotland could resign their seats. There would be 48 by-elections and at 48 by-elections you would come back with a direct electoral mandate for independence.

If Boris does not give the SNP a referendum it will be another issue that the SNP will use to increase support for Scotland rejoining the EU.

McTell

Twitter
No
//

If Boris does not give the SNP a referendum it will be another issue that the SNP will use to increase support for Scotland rejoining the EU.

Rejoining is what it will have to be. And hey, albania is out of the Q now.

I'd like to see an independent scotland, but most of the voters there voted to stay in the uk as recently as 2014.

McSlaggart

Rejoining is what it will have to be. And hey, albania is out of the Q now.

I'd like to see an independent scotland, but most of the voters there voted to stay in the uk as recently as 2014.

Boris and Brexit are not popular in Scotland. I snp may not win but what is the worst thing can happen if they push for one?

McTell

Twitter
No
Boris and Brexit are not popular in Scotland. I snp may not win but what is the worst thing can happen if they push for one?

The worst thing would be boris, with his widest sneery smile, saying that the votes on spending in scotland in 2020-21 are going ahead without them.

Something about a political stunt, with a saving of untold millions to the treasury. The story writes itself.

Super Caley

The SNP’s 48 MPs could trigger a constitutional crisis by resigning their seats if Boris Johnson refuses to allow IndyRef2, according to a senior party figure.

Angus MacNeil believes forcing by-elections across Scotland could be a route to establishing a mandate for independence if the Prime Minister ignores the SNP’s plan A of a legal referendum.

The explosive proposal would plunge the Commons into chaos in the wake of the Conservatives’ landslide election victory.

MacNeil, SNP MP for Na h-Eileanan an Iar, said: “I am in favour of a plan B because if Boris doesn’t play ball with plan A, we can’t just say, ‘OK, you win,’ over and above the democratic will of the people.

“If the UK Government is saying there is no referendum for five years then plan B has to be a direct mandate from an election.

“All the MPs in Scotland could resign their seats. There would be 48 by-elections and at 48 by-elections you would come back with a direct electoral mandate for independence.

Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me

How would 48 byelections in Scotland "plunge the commons into chaos"? Presumably Boris and Cummins et al would just shrug and carry on.

And then the SNP would be in effect fighting the general election again, but only in the seats they already hold, i.e. they could only loose, no possibility of any gains, and on the laws of averages they are bound to loose one or two. For instance Jo Swinson's seat was taken with a fairly small majority. I'd guess that the lib dems would thow everything at trying to get that back. The routed labour party might even stand aside in some places to give the lib dems a better chance. Not to mention the adverse publicity around the Alex Salmond trial which is just around the corner.

Some sort of 1919 Dail Eireann style assembly in Edinburgh maybe, but the problem with that obviously is that (unlike here in 1919) there already is a Scottish parliament which not only do the SNP recognise, they control it.

Not sure what they should do, but immediately resigning all 48 seats sounds like a terrible idea.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies