• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Information thread: The ECHR is NOT an EU institution

For the purpose of clearing up the confusion on the part of several posters:

The European Union is political/trading bloc of 27 members which can be said to have its origins in the Treaty of Rome, 1957. The court of the European Union is called the European Court of Justice (there is also a smaller 'General Court').

The Council of Europe is older, being formed in 1949. It has 47 members, including all the EU members but also others such as Russia, Turkey, the Balkan non EU countries, Iceland.. essentially all bar Belarus, Kazhakstan (which are dictatorships) and the Vatican (a theocracy), these, with others, having observer status. Its court, which is charged with implementing the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), is called the European Court of Human Rights. It is not to be confused with the European Council or the Council of the European Union, which are both EU bodies.

The Council of Europe and the ECtHR have nothing to do with the European Union (despite an overlap of membership).

Ireland is a member of both.

Any other confusions surrounding the EU or Council of Europe, whether within or between each, might usefully be addressed on this thread.

Last edited:

Just Jack

I'm voting for the IRA.

Ulster-Lad

So do the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights apply to all those signatories i.e Turkey, Russia, and the Balkans??

wombat

Any other confusions surrounding the EU or Council of Europe, whether within or between each, might usefully be addressed on this thread.
None of this will matter when the next referendum is held, it will all be added as a reason to vote No.

So do the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights apply to all those signatories i.e Turkey, Russia, and the Balkans??
Yes.

There has been much talk in Britain of repealing the 1998 Human Rights Act, which implemements the requirements of the ECHR in national law, but it's rather silly as they are bound by the rulings of the ECtHR anyway as signatories to the Convention.

Red_93

If this is in response to my post earlier, which prompted seabhcan to say I was too dumb to post here, I GOT MIXED UP between the ECJ and ECHR.

LamportsEdge

Just checking- is the Irish Supreme Court Irish at all...?:)

This is a very weak and petty attempt to attack one of the three very good reasons for legislation in the X case.

As Israel shows it can disregard informed international opinion and dismiss comment from outside the state but this is neither prudent nor popular in the long run.

This OP is a desperate self-indulgence and unworthy of a poster of some repute on other issues where cool analysis is more readily available to said poster.

This is a very weak and petty attempt to attack one of the three very good reasons for legislation in the X case.

As Israel shows it can disregard informed international opinion and dismiss comment from outside the state but this is neither prudent nor popular in the long run.

This OP is a desperate self-indulgence and unworthy of a poster of some repute on other issues where cool analysis is more readily available to said poster.
I actually haven't a clue what this paranoid post is about. I put up the thread for the specific reason that a number of posters do not know the difference between institutions of the EU and those of the Council of Europe.

The posters displaying the confusion were generally pro-life.

Nemesiscorporation

For the purpose of clearing up the confusion on the part of several posters:

The European Union is political/trading bloc of 27 members which can be said to have its origins in the Treaty of Rome, 1957. The court of the European Union is called the European Court of Justice (there is also a smaller 'General Court').

The Council of Europe is older, being formed in 1949. It has 47 members, including all the EU members but also others such as Russia, Turkey, the Balkan non EU countries, Iceland.. essentially all bar Belarus (which is a dictatorship). Its court, which is charged with implementing the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), is called the European Court of Human Rights. It is not to be confused with the European Council or the Council of the European Union, which are both EU bodies.

The Council of Europe and the ECtHR have nothing to do with the European Union (despite an overlap of membership).

Ireland is a member of both.

It would have been an idea to mention the European Court of Justice as well so as to clear up the confusion.

LamportsEdge

Actually, Toxic, I'm not sure you should be getting away with this recent habit of yours of deciding you aren't getting enough joy on the threads that do exist on the X case, Galway tragedy and Expert Group on abortion and simply launching an OP to emphasise a point you could well have made on those threads.

Just an explanation for why I accused you of self-indulgence in this. I don't think other posters would be allowed get away with this form of 'shouting' you have devised and I would ask that mods help us to keep the subject matters organised by melding this OP back into one of the other threads where the European Ct of Human Rights point is appropriate.

pedagogus

This is a nonsensical post.take the trouble to read the post which is merely clarificatory of a distinction which is not clear to many people taking a passing interest in current affairs.

Actually, Toxic, I'm not sure you should be getting away with this recent habit of yours of deciding you aren't getting enough joy on the threads that do exist on the X case, Galway tragedy and Expert Group on abortion and simply launching an OP to emphasise a point you could well have made on those threads.

Just an explanation for why I accused you of self-indulgence in this. I don't think other posters would be allowed get away with this form of 'shouting' you have devised and I would ask that mods help us to keep the subject matters organised by melding this OP back into one of the other threads where the European Ct of Human Rights point is appropriate.
I'm sorry, I actually have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

You seem to be implying that my posting the OP was some kind of political point, rather than a simple information point.

I don't honestly understand for the life of me how that can be, particularly as I am a fan of the Convention and the Court.

Your post is paranoid to the point of deranged.

drummed

What are you talking about here exactly??????????

Popular Threads

Most Replies