Innoculating kids against Cervical Cancer

fluffykontbiscuits

fluffykontbiscuits

If you were offered a drug that would prevent you developing cancer in later life, would you accept it?
I would however do safe sexual practices not prevent spread of HPV? (Im just trying to understand it here Im not judging anyone!)...think its the same virus as the cold sore virus isnt it?

A view from England

I would however do safe sexual practices not prevent spread of HPV? (Im just trying to understand it here Im not judging anyone!)...think its the same virus as the cold sore virus isnt it?
I think the herpes virus is similar to the cold sore virus (I'm an Engineer, not a Doctor). I believe that HPV can cause cervical cancer and indeed, use of condoms would prevent transmission of HPV. That said, if everyone wore a mask then that would prevent the transmission of colds but it is unrealistic to expect everyone to do this.
My personal view is that this jab can prevent cancer and it is a no-brainer that this should be given to all young girls. I cannot see any moral issue with this. Some folk try and link the drug to sex and claim that giving young girls the drug will raise promiscuity. I struggle with this. Young girls at some point are going to have sex whether or not they have had an HPV jab. A bigger moral issue would be to offer all girls aged 13 or over a contraceptive jab. now that would be controvertial.

Aindriu

I completely agree. My 16 year old daughter - who lives in the UK with her mother, sadly for me - has been vaccinated and I am glad she has and so is she. None of the girls vacinnated at her school showed any side effects or ill affects what so ever.

The Caped Cod

I think the herpes virus is similar to the cold sore virus (I'm an Engineer, not a Doctor). I believe that HPV can cause cervical cancer and indeed, use of condoms would prevent transmission of HPV. .
Most sexualy active women carry some form of the HPV virus, as do most men (chicken and egg). THe HPV virus can cause lesions which can turn cancerous after repeated reinfection. The HPV virus in and of itself doesn't cause cervical cancer.
The FDA did a study which showed that if the Gardasil vaccine were given to women who were already sexally active, and thus had a high likelihoodof already having a strain of HPV, it could actually augment the developement of the lesions which cause cervical cancer.

Repeating over and over all the catch phrases about saving little girls from future cancer is nothing more than a marketing exercise if all possible dangers and side effects are not considered.

If the vaccine is being administered to 13 year old girls then they need to be asked if the are sexually active, and they have to be made understand the importance of answering their GP or parents truthfully.

The Great HPV Vaccine Hoax Exposed page 1

kerdasi amaq

DeputyEdo

Shouldn't be given.
Young ones should be responsible for ensuring they don't have unprotected sex.
Money would be better spent on an education programme

A view from England

Most sexualy active women carry some form of the HPV virus, as do most men (chicken and egg). THe HPV virus can cause lesions which can turn cancerous after repeated reinfection. The HPV virus in and of itself doesn't cause cervical cancer.
The FDA did a study which showed that if the Gardasil vaccine were given to women who were already sexally active, and thus had a high likelihoodof already having a strain of HPV, it could actually augment the developement of the lesions which cause cervical cancer.

Repeating over and over all the catch phrases about saving little girls from future cancer is nothing more than a marketing exercise if all possible dangers and side effects are not considered.

If the vaccine is being administered to 13 year old girls then they need to be asked if the are sexually active, and they have to be made understand the importance of answering their GP or parents truthfully.

The Great HPV Vaccine Hoax Exposed page 1
So the immunisation is only of use if given to virgins. Perhaps the age of administration should be lowered to 10?

A view from England

I completely agree. My 16 year old daughter - who lives in the UK with her mother, sadly for me - has been vaccinated and I am glad she has and so is she. None of the girls vacinnated at her school showed any side effects or ill affects what so ever.
#
Glad to hear things went well.

Macy

Shouldn't be given.
Young ones should be responsible for ensuring they don't have unprotected sex.
Money would be better spent on an education programme
They could practice safe sex up until they meet their life partner, who turns out to be a carrier...

pujols

So they finally find a way to stop 70% of a particular type of cancer developing by administering a vaccine at an early age and there are people out there who oppose it, query it or suggest we use education instead.

Glad I am not their daughter.

I lost a friend to this and I would give anything to be able to turn back the clock.

Every girl should get this.

To hell with the mummery, the hocus pocus and the what aboutery...

DeputyEdo

They could practice safe sex up until they meet their life partner, who turns out to be a carrier...
The education programme I talked of could maybe tell them to get themselves and their partner checked/tested. and until that's done, then don't have unprotected sex.

I just don't think we should be giving people pills just because they're available......what ever happened to people taking care of themselves and not expecting governments etc to make all of their decisions for them.

kerdasi amaq

Big pharma invents a non-product. Then they have to start a scare(you'll die if you don't inject this) so as to con people into using their product.

DeputyEdo

So they finally find a way to stop 70% of a particular type of cancer developing by administering a vaccine at an early age and there are people out there who oppose it, query it or suggest we use education instead.

Glad I am not their daughter.

I lost a friend to this and I would give anything to be able to turn back the clock.

Every girl should get this.

To hell with the mummery, the hocus pocus and the what aboutery...
You're right.....wouldn't the world be a much better place if we removed people abilities to control their own behaviour!
Then we could spend time looking for pills to give to people to stop them becoming fat...that way they wont need to take personal responsibility for their food intake/exercise etc
Then we can come up with a pill that'll stop smokers getting lung cancer etc
Then another pill to stop junkies from dying from overdoses.

junius

I absolutely think every young girl should be vaccinated if this is possible. This is a horrible cancer and can rampage through a young person's body because of active hormones. Of course young girls should be taught not to go out and have sex with any Tom, Dick or Harry but that is the case whether or not they have had this vaccination. We all watched Jade Goody die from this cancer publicly. Her story has been televised, written about widely in all sorts of newspapers and magazines. We could not have missed it and it wasn't pleasant. Having had a close brush with this cancer I can assure everybody that it is one of the most unpleasant things that can happen in anybody's life and the after effects, if the victim survives, last a lifetime.
While we're at it all young men should also be taught the same way - no sex just because they can. Young men should be taught to respect the opposite sex and not pursue sex just for the sake of it. This is abuse and should be recognised as such.
So, of course, all young girls should be given the vaccine whatever the future holds for them.

The Caped Cod

I absolutely think every young girl should be vaccinated if this is possible. This is a horrible cancer and can rampage through a young person's body because of active hormones. Of course young girls should be taught not to go out and have sex with any Tom, Dick or Harry but that is the case whether or not they have had this vaccination. We all watched Jade Goody die from this cancer publicly. Her story has been televised, written about widely in all sorts of newspapers and magazines. We could not have missed it and it wasn't pleasant. Having had a close brush with this cancer I can assure everybody that it is one of the most unpleasant things that can happen in anybody's life and the after effects, if the victim survives, last a lifetime.
While we're at it all young men should also be taught the same way - no sex just because they can. Young men should be taught to respect the opposite sex and not pursue sex just for the sake of it. This is abuse and should be recognised as such.
So, of course, all young girls should be given the vaccine whatever the future holds for them.
Really, even if it turns out to be true that it could increase the risk of precancerous lesions by 44.6 percent?
Nobody is saying it's not a horrible cancer but your vaccine is also a product that is being distributed and sold by a huge multinational company, the same one that brought you Vioxx
Rofecoxib - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cjudge

The US Department of Health Centres for Disease Control and Prevention have a very good fact sheet on HPV. It makes it clear that condoms offer no protection as the virus can be contracted by genital skin to skin contact - penetration is not necessary. It says that guys can get HPV related cancer too (why is the vaccine only being offered to girls? It is available to both sexes in the US) It says that in 90% of cases the body's immune system clears the virus within 2 years ( I have read elsewhere that the majority of the people infected with the virus clear it themselves within a year).

Here's the link STD Facts - Human papillomavirus (HPV)

New Threads

Most Replies