• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Insincere politicians, attention addled electorates - natural bedmates...what can be done?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
In Ireland we've had a very low quality electorate who kept voting in crooked, get rich quick Fianna Fáil, and now Fine Gael has got with the program, and gone full Fianna Fáil

In America, a turd with hair, who hints he wants to put the brown people in the ovens, is a potential POTUS

I'm not that plussed about the Brexit result, but some in the leave campaign peddled some awful jingoistic claptrap which was lapped up by a segment of the electorate that was stupid and ignorant

I claim that the bottom 99% haven't kept to their bargain on the social contract, they haven't kept up, and the one person, one vote system, makes them easy pickings for insincere politicians who have ulterior motives

What's to be done?

cyp

Last edited:

Accidental sock

I'm just gonna stay in bed,drink, and hope it sorts itself out.

It worked for Grandpa Joe in 'Charlie and the chocolate factory'

human 19

The Brexit polls backs up what i think.

1) most people , possibly only above a certain age, or past the point of striving ( job partner and house sorted ) just want to lie back and watch or read non-brain engaging media rather than actually delving to find the information themselves. When politicians are constantly saying, "We are correct and everyone else is wrong", and one is only exposed to politicians in the mainstream media, they couldnt be bothered going to the effort of digging deeper themselves, and then just dismiss the lot of them .

2) following from the above, what seems to engage most people in one form or another "news"wise is celebrity gossip. The media sees this and feeds it for their own ends. Remember the last presidential election, and the referendum run on the same day?. About 90% of the media coverage was devoted to the bickering between the celebs involved, and much less coverage from the media about the referendum question.

3) confirmation bias. People tend to focus on what confirms their already held beliefs (immigrants for example in Brexit) , and much more readily dismiss opposing views.

4)Conspiracy theorists: see 3. above.

5)Whingers. Down the pub with their mates. Come to realise that there is an unspoken understanding that if they just whinge about the politicians ("shower of konts, only in it of themselves"), they wont be challenged and they , in turn, shouldn't challenge others. That way they can all feel self-important while swigging their pints.

6)"I want something I haven't got" ...and I dont want to have to strive for it. Hard workers coming over here and raising the bar for us lazy b'ards

What to do? No idea. Sorry.

shiel

In Ireland we've had a very low quality electorate who kept voting in crooked, get rich quick Fianna Fáil, and now Fine Gael has got with the program, and gone full Fianna Fáil

In America, a turd with hair, who hints he wants to put the brown people in the ovens, is a potential POTUS

I'm not that plussed about the Brexit result, but some in the leave campaign peddled some awful jingoistic claptrap which was lapped up by a segment of the electorate that was stupid and ignorant

I claim that the bottom 99% haven't kept to their bargain on the social contract, they haven't kept up, and the one person, one vote system, makes them easy pickings for insincere politicians who have ulterior motives

What's to be done?

cyp
It is not the 'low quality electorate' that is at fault.

It is the misinformed electorate.

The job of the media backed up by academia is to infrom the rest of us of the importance of the issues.

Instead we get vested interest promotion, celebrity arse licking and personal abuse.

The celtic tiger debacle, the anti-austerity campaign and the personalising and trivialising of our election are examples in this country.

The brexit campaign in the UK is another.

We are all paying for that and going to pay much more into the future.

sethjem7

What's to be done?

cyp
Don't leave us hanging!?

Ardillaun

Social media are giving the electorate alternative sources of information and political viewpoints if they choose to use them. I like to think it's harder to bury serious issues than it used to be. That the leaders of the two biggest parties, for all their other shortcomings, are fairly temperate and definitely sober individuals reflects increased scrutiny of their daily behaviour. The biggest problem here remains oppressive defamation laws that conceal all manner of skullduggery this side of the grave.

The other hope is that institutions will be well led and insulated from political interference. We should hire the best talent available for the top jobs, preferably foreign. The message should be that unless you are some sort of MOL iconoclast happy to outrage the local gombeens we will look elsewhere. Elderfield did good service here, esp. on the car insurance front. We need more of his ilk to reform the Garda etc.

Last edited:

shiel

The referendum result in the UK show what can happen when media do not tell the truth.

The English cannot come to terms with their reduced role in the world.

So they vote to give the two fingers to their European neighbours and to their neighbours on these islands.

In doing they raise questions as to very existence of the UK.

They are also seemingly tearing up the Good Friday Agreement.

All of this is backed by media that is pathetic.

And the really sad part is that their media are actually gloating about it this morning.

D

Deleted member 34656

The referendum result in the UK show what can happen when media do not tell the truth.

The English cannot come to terms with their reduced role in the world.

So they vote to give the two fingers to their European neighbours and to their neighbours on these islands.

In doing they raise questions as to very existence of the UK.

They are also seemingly tearing up the Good Friday Agreement.

All of this is backed by media that is pathetic.

And the really sad part is that their media are actually gloating about it this morning.
Er...it's 4pm dear...time for a sundowner.

shiel

I see Yanis Varoufakis who contributed his share to Greece being on its third bailout since 2010 is praising the English for the referendum result.

I see Donald Trump is doing the same.

Says it all really.

D

Deleted member 34656

I see Yanis Varoufakis who contributed his share to Greece being on its third bailout since 2010 is praising the English for the referendum result.

Says it all really.
Yes..a uk station someone posted earlier had rolling typed reaction from the heads of the following states: France, Germany, Greece, EU, America and Russia.

Greece, EU, and America took positive stance.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'm pretty sure CYp's solution would be to disenfranchise the ordinary voter in the street as they can't be trusted to vote the 'right' way.

It'll probably include the appointment of technocrats all hepped up on US neocon goofballs.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Berthold Brecht on the 1953 Uprising:

The Solution

After the uprising of the 17th of June
The Secretary of the Writers' Union
Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
Stating that the people
Had forfeited the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
Not to forget the Tory lady reflecting on the 1945 Labour landslide: "The people won't stand for it!"

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com

What's to be done?

cyp
And more of it

The borderline monkey people are a mess

cyp

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies