Insult added to injury- Gormley happy that education escapes cuts

antiestablishmentarian

Gormley has made a statement about education: he's delighted that no cuts were made to education.

"We are proud that education spending will be increased over the coming period," he said.

"This is vital to protect the needs of a rising generation.

"Increased spending on education is, above all, central to the efforts to rebuild national prosperity."
Did he read the same austerity plan as the rest of us? This hypocrite deserves whatever's coming to him . Thousands will be forced out of third level through cuts in grants, fee hikes (let's be honest, the reg fee is fees by another name), and the quality of our education is declining due to the recruitment embargo. Time for students to help in kicking this rotten shower out and building a resistance to EU/IMF austerity policies.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-n...s-2434326.html

Superlepreachaun

Thank god I'm finished college this year, and studied enough economics there to know this plans a disaster. When the head of our students union is a FF hack and career whore tho, what chance do we stand?

antiestablishmentarian

Thank god I'm finished college this year, and studied enough economics there to know this plans a disaster. When the head of our students union is a FF hack and career whore tho, what chance do we stand?
Organise yourself and reclaim your SU- I'm in the exact same position as you mate and I don't want to be forced out of this place without a fight.

Halo

Gormley has made a statement about education: he's delighted that no cuts were made to education.

Did he read the same austerity plan as the rest of us? This hypocrite deserves whatever's coming to him . Thousands will be forced out of third level through cuts in grants, fee hikes (let's be honest, the reg fee is fees by another name), and the quality of our education is declining due to the recruitment embargo. Time for students to help in kicking this rotten shower out and building a resistance to EU/IMF austerity policies.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-n...s-2434326.html

Im honestly nearing boiling point by now.

'orebel

Who's his electorate again?

Superlepreachaun

Organise yourself and reclaim your SU- I'm in the exact same position as you mate and I don't want to be forced out of this place without a fight.
I think SU's and unions in general become a self fulfilling prophecy.
We all assume they are full of career hacks and so dont' participate, and because we dont' participate they become full of career hacks.

I still havn't paid by 1600 this year, I can't afford it, so I'm locked out of the library and key learning materials. I may get the grant, maybe. If I don't I honestly don't know how I am gonna pay it, but they think I can pay 2k? 3k?
The stereotype of college kids all being rich spoilt brats with daddys credit card is just that...a stereotype.

This sickens me from the party that patted itself on the back for preventing fees coming back (so whats this?) and in their 07 campign had this massive education plan involving an extra billion in investment every year.

Do you remember him yelling at McDowell at that lamppost in 07 because he said McDowell had become a FF lapdog...oh how things have changed!

Yeh we are the USI heads electorate, and in our defence theres calls for his resignation and he only won by a handful of votes.

Future

Hope you don't have to leave. I finished college this year but I have been fortunate enough to have a job from next September.

Gormley just lied about protecting education. When I started college the registration fee was just under €600. Increasing it to €2000 means lots of young people are not going to be able to go to college.

Its a disgrace.

Superlepreachaun

Hope you don't have to leave. I finished college this year but I have been fortunate enough to have a job from next September.

Gormley just lied about protecting education. When I started college the registration fee was just under €600. Increasing it to €2000 means lots of young people are not going to be able to go to college.

Its a disgrace.
The trick they use is to say "ah if you cant afford it you can get a grant"

But untill you get a grant you cant use key services like library or online learning tools like blackboard, your basically locked out. Also you can't register, so you loose out on selecting your optional and elective modules while others who can pay grab all the good courses.
Some local councils your waiting 12 weeks for a grant, what if you don't get it in time for the exams and you've had no access to books etc in the run up? What if your 2-3 k short of the threshold for the grant?
They still means test you on your parents income regardless of how much if any money you get from them, I got means tested on parents income even thought I don't live with them and they don't (can't) give me any money.

Look at the HSE to see why universal services are better than means testing, it took me 9 months to get a medical card.

anfieldabff

John Gormley really is living on Planet Bertie!!The guy is a complete fool, he has put the green agenda back at least 20 years. They will be obliterated in the coming election, how are they going to influence policy without any representative in the dail.
To me personally the greens have been a terrible dissapointment, they betrayed the people who voted for them in 2007, they promised to protect fees for university students and the fee has gone up and will now stand at 2000 euro. How is that for protection of education??.
Gormley you are a complete plonker and you will get your answer in a couple of months.

ellie08

Don't be silly. You are locked out of university libraries if you don't pay your reg fee.
Get a loan then and pay it back when you get your grant:rolleyes:

Back on topic, what the hell is the delay in processing grants? There is also a fault in the grant system in that it only asks you what funds you receive and conveniently leaves out the fact that you might have money going out i.e. personal/student/motor loans/ mortgage etc. There is an appeal system, but if monies in and out were included there would be no need for this appeal guff. 12 weeks or more is too long for students to wait for a yea or nay on whether they are entitled to funding. I also know of people who should not have received a grant as they lived at home, but were able to bluff the council and pretend they were living outside their parents home.

Superlepreachaun

Get a loan then and pay it back when you get your grant:rolleyes:
Thats what I did last year, but I had to go very deep into debt when I lost my job since I'm not entitled to social welfare (despite paying prsi since I was 16...) so I can't take out any more debts now, I've reached my debt ceeling.
Its not all your beer mat solutions in the real world mate, things are complicated.

I'd prefer a free education through college then paying a graduate tax of a few percent on top of income tax for a few years post graduation than this bollox of waiting months for a grant drowning in debt and paperwork instead of focusing on study.
If I had to pay 2k next year, I'll not have my debts cleared by then, theres no way I could afford it or be able to borrow it so I'd just have to drop out.

Jack Pott

Not to mention a reduction in the capatation grant and I know off topic but cheers Gorm for the increase in the carbon tax cannot wait for election day to see the end of this green cult for good

dOlier

When I was at college we all went abroad and worked for the summer to pay our fees.
I got no grants !!!! From anybody !!!!

I'm more concerned about my kids PRIMARY schooling.

If kids get a good primary and secondary education, they will have the skills and confidence to sort the rest out themselves.

Berty

Yes he spoke with fork tongue and I guess he hopes no one noticed.

beamish2010

Increase in student fees

So Gormless is at it again...He did not mention about the hike in tuition fees for students because he voted for it...Gormless what an idiot he is.:mad:

cobra

Twitter
dont do twittering nonsense
In your college, are there classes on how to use the apostrophe?
In my day, it was assumed one might at least be able to spell.
Now it seems just about able to fill in the boxes will do

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies