• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

'Integrated' Education, One Skol Multi Denominational...

between the bridges

Two County Tyrone primary schools have been told there are no legal barriers to them merging.

The schools, one Catholic and one Protestant, would use the same front door but go to their own separate wings.
BBC News - No barrier over Catholic and Protestant schools merger

Personally i would prefer fully integrated non faith education with religious studies either optional or left to the parents, but it is an interesting idea and certainly an improvement on attending schools miles apart...

between the bridges

Segregation will never be more visible than that. Do the kids sit on different sides or front / back of the bus too?
Didn't say it was perfect, but a step in the right direction at least the kids would be mixing at break etc rather than being totally separate as is the norm now...

Tommythesash

Integrated education is available in Ireland to anyone who wants it. This is not a new phenomena. What's glaringly obvious is that most parents aren't interested.

Protestants in particular need to focus on their kids getting a decent education, not who they share a classroom with.

belfast1981

Don't care if my (future) children get educated in a Protestant only, Catholic only or Intergrated school. My first and foremost choice would be the school that could offer them the best education they can get. Regardless of their denomination majority they will be educated alongside..

All schools be it catholic, protestant or Integrated are meant to teach the same things from the same syllabus anyway. But what people should be looking at is 'where will my child get the best possible education' and not 'are the others in his class the same religious denomination'

Tommythesash

My kids go to an interdenominational school here in America. I'm not too thrilled about it but at least where I live they all look alike.

Just Jack

Segregation will never be more visible than that. Do the kids sit on different sides or front / back of the bus too?
No doubt you'll want the Catholics to sit at the back.

Those days are over I'm afraid.

rmn640

Don't care if my (future) children get educated in a Protestant only, Catholic only or Intergrated school. My first and foremost choice would be the school that could offer them the best education they can get. Regardless of their denomination majority they will be educated alongside..
+1

I'd only send any children I have to an integrated school if it out performs it's single denominational equivalent.
Happy clappy, feel good integration comes second to quality of education.

physicist

BBC News - No barrier over Catholic and Protestant schools merger

Personally i would prefer fully integrated non faith education with religious studies either optional or left to the parents, but it is an interesting idea and certainly an improvement on attending schools miles apart...
Well meeting new strange people always requires a degree of faith, these are not computer game characters but real people and as I've said before going to the school playground for the first time, is unnatural and is difficult for any child. Say what you want about religion but there needs to be some awareness forgiveness, tolerance, patience, and courage ingrained within the ethos a child, since there is no certainty in how anyone else but yourself can respond in a given circumstance, persisting through with that uncertainty without an easily justifiable and rational fear of the unknown requires a faith.

Mattarigna

I don't see how this is much better than having the two schools in separate buildings. If anything, it will only highlight the differences between the two communities even more. Personally, I think that fully integrated education in the North will be a long term goal, and cannot be achieved in isolation with the other areas which keep the two communities apart, like sports, public housing and the policies relating to the Irish language. The Unionist community in general will have to get more comfortable with the Irish language(or at least be more tolerant towards the language and it's significance to many in the Nationalist community), and the distrust that is held towards Gaelic games has to be tackled.

Glenshane4

I don't see how this is much better than having the two schools in separate buildings.
It is not meant to be any better than having two schools in separate buildings. It is meant to allow both schools to survive by enabling them to share facilities - such as a canteen.

Swords Hoopster

Say what you want about religion but there needs to be some awareness forgiveness, tolerance, patience, and courage ingrained within the ethos a child,
And why do you think that you require a religion to do that?

Religion does the exact opposite in my experience.

since there is no certainty in how anyone else but yourself can respond in a given circumstance, persisting through with that uncertainty without an easily justifiable and rational fear of the unknown requires a faith.
No offence mate but that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

Last edited:

Swords Hoopster

policies relating to the Irish language. The Unionist community in general will have to get more comfortable with the Irish language(or at least be more tolerant towards the language and it's significance to many in the Nationalist community)
What on earth has the Irish language got to do with anything? Most people couldn't give a flying fu*k about it.

Are you living in the Gaeltacht or summat Mattarigna?

physicist

And why do you think that you require a religion to do that?

Religion does the exact opposite in my experience.

No offence mate but that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.
I was talking about faith, not necessarily religion, but believe what you want about what I said.

Swords Hoopster

Well for one thing, faith in humanity is still a faith, e.g. faith in a marriage, faith in an employee, faith in a student, faith in a teacher.
There's a difference between self confidence and trusting people.
Spot on. I agree 100% Physicist mate.

Mickeymac

Integrated education is available in Ireland to anyone who wants it. This is not a new phenomena. What's glaringly obvious is that most parents aren't interested.

Protestants in particular need to focus on their kids getting a decent education, not who they share a classroom with.

Your common sense is invaluable sir , as Betsy Trotwood said to Mr Dick,...... unfortunately onionist kids know more about flegs than the writings of the great Charles Dickens,..............sad ain't it?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies