Integrated ticketing-10 years on

B

birthday

Department of Transport: 1999

10 years ago mary O' Rourke was talking about the 'great progress' made towards integrated ticketing for public transport in Dublin.
How much has been spent since? Is there any accountability for money spent?
Does the blame for the fact that we still do not have this lie with politicians, Dept. of Transport or companies involved?

Al.

The only money spent is that to increase bureaucracy, that I can see. And for changing paint jobs on buses and trains every couple of years. Infrastructure, forget it. CIE should have integrated its ticketing when it was nominally one company...

Ecoguy

Not surprising really given the caliber of the FF muppets who occupied this ministry for the last 10 years:(

garlandgreen

Depressingly i think we're going to find that the reason for delay is because of squabbles over pricing and who gets what cut of each ticket purchased

darkknight

Department of Transport: 1999

10 years ago mary O' Rourke was talking about the 'great progress' made towards integrated ticketing for public transport in Dublin....

More waffle about integrated ticketing right now at the Transport Committee.

The head of the new National Transport Authority, Gerry Murphy, says that there are 15 people "working flat-out on this".

Absolutely incredible!

How do these clowns continue to get away with this kind of (very expensive) nonsense? We seem to have an infinite supply of half-wits to head up a constant procession of new quangos, which replace other quangos run by other half-wits.

Over ten years just to get a ticketing system in place for a small city like Dublin! Sickening!! :mad::mad::mad:

hammer

Just put the Dublin Bus ticket readers on all public transport.

Just rebrand the commuter ticket from Dublin Bus to Dublin Bus / Luas

Split the cost :)

Oppenheimer

More waffle about integrated ticketing right now at the Transport Committee.

The head of the new National Transport Authority, Gerry Murphy, says that there are 15 people "working flat-out on this".

Absolutely incredible!

How do these clowns continue to get away with this kind of (very expensive) nonsense? We seem to have an infinite supply of half-wits to head up a constant procession of new quangos, which replace other quangos run by other half-wits.

Over ten years just to get a ticketing system in place for a small city like Dublin! Sickening!! :mad::mad::mad:

I have no source for this but was recently deflated in a meeting when I heard that some of those 15 had just been around the world to "learn" from Hong Kong, Singapore, London, etc. but thought that the best way forward was to start from scratch ad not adopt any of these models!! I really feel a good investigative journalist could get some mileage out of this as it seems like another sickening waste of public money the way that it is being approached.

brughahaha

What are you talking about ..... hasn't Dublin the greatest public transport system in the world .... it must have ,

surely no councillor would make life so difficult for motorists with the worlds first 30kmph city centre ,europes most expensive on street parking and the north and south city centre unreachable by anything other than public transport for 6 hours a day ................unless Public transport initiatives were in place ... surely ....surely

MsAnneThrope

If you handed the present incumbents the following:

• a mug
  • a spoon
  • a bowl of sugar
  • a jug of milk
  • a jar of Nescafe
and asked them to make a coffee with milk and one sugar, you'd end up with:
  • a mug of sugar
  • milk poured into the jar of Nescafe
  • a broken jug
  • a missing spoon
I personally know someone who was involved in the early days of this who was gobsmacked at the ineptitude of some of the other people involved, the petty squabbling and turf protection and, as Garlandgreen correctly pointed out, who gets what cut. 10 years later and here we still are, and there's talk of a Smart Economy now?

dalywise

Just put the Dublin Bus ticket readers on all public transport.

Just rebrand the commuter ticket from Dublin Bus to Dublin Bus / Luas

Split the cost :)
Not even that complicated. It could be done in a few months by copying the Oyster card system from London. It's brilliantly simple. Software already exists. And proportion paid to each transport arm is calculated automatically. What a collection of useless people we have in this country.

asset test

Now I know nothing about this integrated ticketing lark. But.... surely such a card will be swiped against a reader in any mode of transport covered by the arrangement? Surely such readers can add up the amount of journeys taken on each, and split the money that way.

Do the current tickets when swiped on the Luas, Dart, Bus and Train capture data on thejourneys taken etc. or are they just beeping for the fun of it!

For those involved who went to Singapore et al for ideas, they should have just taken a plane to London and checked out how the Oyster Card works.

What is Oyster? | Transport for London

MsAnneThrope

I think they were eating the oysters instead of reading up on it! But when you need limousines to get between Heathrow Terminals, and have them sitting outside wherever you're eating oysters or boozing, 24/7, you're hardly going to get to understand public transport now are you?

jimmyfour

For those involved who went to Singapore et al for ideas, they should have just taken a plane to London and checked out how the Oyster Card works.

[/url]
Thos fact finding missions are basically holidays. Any idiot in government could have got a €30 flight to Zurich or Vienna on Aer Lingus and seen the integrated ticketing, 24-72hr tourist passes, etc., .

We still have Dublin Bus unable to create a timetable for when you want to go from one stop to another. It's guesswork "20 mins....Dun Laoghire....20 mins.....Mount Merrion" on the timetable.

Good thing I finally emigrated last month for me, but it's reasons like this that make or break quality of life IMHO, and for me, quality of life in ireland was broken.

SilverLining

We must be one of the most mistrusting backward countries when it comes to public transport. The MBTA in Boston introduced an Oyster type card called the Charlie Card in matter of years. Most of Europe has had such systems for years. It seems to be a bit like the chip/pin on credit/debit card. Countries like France had such systems back in the early 1990's.

Chrisco

The (private) train operating companies in London were dead against rolling out Oyster across the overland national rail network in Greater London and really dug their heels in to try and oppose it. Within 18-24 months Ken/Boris had still managed to bring the TOCs to heel and have it in place (although the system is a tad messy).

In Dublin there are only three interested parties, and two of them are owned by the government.

And they still can't get the system in place.

asset test

Ever so slightly off topic, but what do you think of Dublin Bus website? I had to laugh the other day, a colleague from Slovenia wanted to get from Stephen's Green to Beaumont Hospital. We duly looked up the DB site. It's not bad really but the routes are all given as Gaeilge to begin with. Even I was confused. You have to scroll to the end of the page to find the route. She thought she was in outer Mongolia.

4/a - Dublin Bus

B

birthday

Thos fact finding missions are basically holidays. Any idiot in government could have got a €30 flight to Zurich or Vienna on Aer Lingus and seen the integrated ticketing, 24-72hr tourist passes, etc., .

We still have Dublin Bus unable to create a timetable for when you want to go from one stop to another. It's guesswork "20 mins....Dun Laoghire....20 mins.....Mount Merrion" on the timetable.

Good thing I finally emigrated last month for me, but it's reasons like this that make or break quality of life IMHO, and for me, quality of life in ireland was broken.
The best of luck to you!

My conclusion is that Ireland is not capable of self-government!

Too many gombeens and cute hoors!

SilverLining

The best of luck to you!

My conclusion is that Ireland is not capable of self-government!

Too many gombeens and cute hoors!
Not surprisingly this very idea has crossed my mind a number of times recently. We are incapable of thinking long term about nearly everything.

Easy to use and easy to pay for public transport is necessary to encourage people to see it as a real alternative.

cgcsb2

I have no source for this but was recently deflated in a meeting when I heard that some of those 15 had just been around the world to "learn" from Hong Kong, Singapore, London, etc. but thought that the best way forward was to start from scratch ad not adopt any of these models!! I really feel a good investigative journalist could get some mileage out of this as it seems like another sickening waste of public money the way that it is being approached.
WHy do you have to travel to Hong Kong to learn about their ticketing system? surely Google will provide information for free?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies