Intel CEO Announces New $7bn Plant in USA. What's the Future for the Kildare Plant?

YesSireeeBob

Intel Arizona factory jobs: Trump meets Intel CEO Brian Krzanich

The CEO of Intel was in the White House today, alongside Trump when he made this announcement.

Intel to invest $7 billion in a new factory in Arizona, employing 3,000 - they will be making the 7nm chips there, which according to the CEO is the next generation of semi-conductor chips.

Yes it was planned for years, but the CEO, when asked by a reporter:
Was there anything that Trump said or did that made you want to announce this year?
The CEO replies:
It's really in support of the tax and regulatory policies that we see the administration pushing forward that really make it advantageous to do manufacturing in the US.
I wonder where this will leave the Kildare plant - probably ok for the next few years, but will there be a compelling reason to invest anymore there with the new pro-business environment in the US.

gleeful

The CEO of Intel was in the White House today, alongside Trump when he made this announcement.

Intel to invest $7 billion in a new factory in Arizona, employing 3,000 - they will be making the 7nm chips there, which according to the CEO is the next generation of semi-conductor chips.

The CEO replies:

I wonder where this will leave the Kildare plant - probably ok for the next few years, but will there be a compelling reason to invest anymore there with the new pro-business environment in the US.
Trump will be gone in 4 or 8 years. Intel will still be in Ireland.

D

Deleted member 45466

This has been in the pipeline for some time. There had been rumours circulating recently about it being built in Leixlip ("Superfab").

Intel in Leixlip should be ok short term - a few years. This news certainly does cast a cloud on its future.

Dame_Enda

The EU needs to respond with a policy of protecting European industries. Throw out the neoliberal clique at the ballot box.

silverharp

Ring Ruth, another company to take over

Nemesiscorporation

The CEO replies:

All of Intels plans past 4 years from now are outside Ireland. I have a bad feeling that nothing new will be built at Lexilip. Also there is signs that R&D is going elsewhere as well.

Dame_Enda

Trump has shown has easy it is to force FDI back home. The EU should learn the lesson and stop these ruinous trade agreements that lead to them outsourcing to dangerous regimes like China and Russia. Jim Larkin would turn in his grave at what we are doing.

Wagmore

I'd be out of Ireland too if I heard its leader called my president a racist..Another knuckle-head play from Denda

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

The EU needs to respond with a policy of protecting European industries. Throw out the neoliberal clique at the ballot box.
give Vestager a call an have Intel settle it Irish tax bill in full. Let's see how much Intel has accrued since 1989 in state aid...

statsman

Trump has shown has easy it is to force FDI back home. The EU should learn the lesson and stop these ruinous trade agreements that lead to them outsourcing to dangerous regimes like China and Russia. Jim Larkin would turn in his grave at what we are doing.
If you think Dump had anything to do with this you know nothing about business investment planning cycles.

General Urko

PC Principle

The CEO replies:

Thank you President Trump.

Making America better by the day.

Dame_Enda

If you think Dump had anything to do with this you know nothing about business investment planning cycles.
Its likely the threat of tariffs was deciding factor as with Ford.

eoghanacht

My partner works for an engineering company with a large contract a Intel, she's currently in administration in the new Facebook data centre, up until last year she was on site at Intel and there's massive on going investment by the company at that site.

As others have pointed out The Don will begone in 8 years it'll take Intel half that time to finish constructing the new "pre-fab". It's a multi million Euro investment that no company is going to abandon.

Dont panic.

Though it's nice to see some of the Dons fans shít themselves now after raging against the Apple tax decision.

Don is more of a threat to our beloved FDI employment "plan" then those nasty Europeans :)

PC Principle

give Vestager a call an have Intel settle it Irish tax bill in full. Let's see how much Intel has accrued since 1989 in state aid...
Since the Irish tax paying voters elected those Aid giving government handouts/bribes you can't complain.

You gave them the mandate to do so.

PC Principle

Yeah it's not as if the announcement was made at the White House or anything.

SayItAintSo

INTEL already have a huge FAB mothballed in the states, if they're going to utilise this its hard to see Leixlip getting the next generation technology. Who knows?

Northsideman

Trump will be gone in 4 or 8 years. Intel will still be in Ireland.
Any chance I could borrow your crystal ball, just need to look up Saturdays Lotto Numbers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies