• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Intel next to pull out of Ireland?: Mail on Sunday

kerrynorth

According the the MoS senior managers in Intel have been told of significant production cuts at Intel with the possibility of pulling out from Ireland completely also on the cards. A spokesperson said no announcement could be made prior to their results are announced next Thursday but did point to a previous statement that Intel expected to end 2009 with the same number of employees as at the end of 2008. Although the spokesperson accepted that this did not necessarily mean that the jobs in any particular location will remain the same.

Note: A poster on the Pin said some time ago that 2000 jobs were going to go in January.

wombat

Intel is a different operation to Dell, my guess is that there is too much invested to pull out, depending on what's being made, they might shut part of the plant.

slx

Dell is just a cheap assembly plant, there's little in the way of investment there. Intel's a totally different ball game. It's a multi-billion investment, not something that you can just pull out and move. The margin on chips is enormous too.

Dell make PCs, effectively anyone can do that. They own very little unique technology. PCs are almost a generic product these days. So, basically they're up against cheap Chinese and other far eastern production facilities.

Factorem

Intel is a different operation to Dell, my guess is that there is too much invested to pull out, depending on what's being made, they might shut part of the plant.
Not really cos most of the equipment would be on a 3 to 5 year life-cycle.

After that, the technology would have moved on and needs replacing.

In South Korea, you have plants that operate on a 6-day week and 12 hour shift. Unmarried employees live in dormitories and married employees live with their wives in a 1-bed apartment, 2-bed if they've a child. A mate of mine went for a job interview with Samsung in South Korea -- this is what they offered him and he was genuinely shocked.

Factorem

Dell is just a cheap assembly plant, there's little in the way of investment there. Intel's a totally different ball game. It's a multi-billion investment, not something that you can just pull out and move. The margin on chips is enormous too.
Yeah, sand in, €1,000 chips out...

wombat

If this is the case, everyone working in Intel needs to offer to cut their wage by 10% if they want to save their job. I have a feeling imposed wage cuts are on the way. But no-one can be greedy in these times.
I doubt wage rates will be a factor - Intel is a bit like the auto industry, if a plant makes a product that's in demand, its safe, if not, it could be mothballed

factual

Hope you are right. Intel are also in a stronger market position than Dell.

Is there not a certain inevitability about the retreat of US sourced FDI to much more economical climes ????? . The overriding reason they came to Ireland in the first place was for cost considerations. Now that advantage is largely gone.
Is it only a matter of time before the economic argument to move becomes too strong ? Without the presence of US sourced FDI, just how bad could it get for the Irish economy ?, in actual % of GDP.

Bobert

The DM see this as likely because of Dell pulling out. Nobody else does. It's shameless self promotion on their part because, if Intel pull out any time in the next twenty years they'll be able to boast having had the exclusive so early in the game. Meanwhile in reality, there is no evidence of any closure of Intel.

Amach na Casca

The title post said there will be significant cuts with the possibility of Intel moving completely out of Ireland existing. That is a major worry whatever about the logisitical complexity of moving the operation. If they don't have orders, bodies lose their jobs. This is extemely bad news. 2009 could be worse than many people are predicting. How many work in the Leixlip plant anyone know?

Factorem

the title post said there will be significant cuts with the possibility of intel moving completely out of ireland existing. That is a major worry whatever about the logisitical complexity of moving the operation. If they don't have orders, bodies lose their jobs. This is extemely bad news. 2009 could be worse than many people are predicting. How many work in the leixlip plant anyone know?
5,000. ........

Upper Chamber

The Mail

Sound publication The (Oirish) Mail, well informed and in touch with the country. Even has its own Orish website (not that it links directly onto its Tory rag mother paper next door, (er, does it?). Proud to report in a vibrant, independent Ireland with lots of recipes and articles on make up and fashion. Clearly well informed and not a hint of "how should those paddies ever hope to run a country?"

kerrynorth

How many work in the Leixlip plant anyone know?
5000 Intel employees according to the article. Plus you would have to add contractors and on site service providers to that figure.

The Earl of Desmond

Why is anyone surprised at this?

Are people in Ireland really so dumb to think low skill manual repetitive roles as carried out in INTEL will last forever? Adapt or die ...

If I were a staff member in INTEL I would be making sure that I am in a financial position to weather a storm and that I Was upgrading my skills.

But of course the Irish will rather stick their head up their backside and then expect a government minister to stick their head up an ass at INTEL and beg for jobs.

A little of forward plannign and proactivity guys goes a long way .... there's a whole new world of R&D and green economy roles to be developed ...

Amach na Casca

5000 Intel employees according to the article. Plus you would have to add contractors and on site service providers to that figure.
So several thousand more in real terms could be affected. Disaster. :(

Clanrickard

But of course the Irish will rather stick their head up their backside and then expect a government minister to stick their head up an ass at INTEL and beg for jobs.

A little of forward plannign and proactivity guys goes a long way .... there's a whole new world of R&D and green economy roles to be developed ...
Er..I agree. Wouldn't have put it quite like that.