• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Interesting Topical Piece From McWilliams Football and the € Crisis!

General Urko

SideysGhost

Do you have some sort of OCD compulsion thing where every sentence must end with an exclamation mark?

General Urko

Do you have some sort of OCD compulsion thing where every sentence must end with an exclamation mark?
Can you stick to answering the substantive point, like a good man/woman
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:

Alan Alda

Ropey metaphor from McWilliams.
Good luck to him though.If newspapers are prepared to pay for such indulgent rambling.
What are his theories about Swansea winning the league cup ?

EvotingMachine0197

Can you stick to answering the substantive point, like a good man/woman
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:
If you continue that pattern - I'm thinking wallpaper ?!!!!!!

SideysGhost

You OK there Sidewinder!?
I'm grand! I've not said anything about Urko's little habit since he arrived even though it was instantly annoying! It has reached the point now where it's hard to be bothered reading his posts! Cos I keep imagining one of those little yapper doggies! His posts might even have interesting points! But! I don't know! Cos they're too irritating to read! ;)

EvotingMachine0197

I'm grand! I've not said anything about Urko's little habit since he arrived even though it was instantly annoying! It has reached the point now where it's hard to be bothered reading his posts! Cos I keep imagining one of those little yapper doggies! His posts might even have interesting points! But! I don't know! Cos they're too irritating to read! ;)
Sure? Because I know for a FACT that the Field Marshall personally KNOWS god and I could put a word in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know me and my standards ....

Ren84

McWilliams should leave the football punditry to Dunphy and Giles.

meriwether

Dortmund nearly went bust in the early 2000's. They hhad to be rescued by a bailout, money partly provided by Bayern. How does that fit into his narrative?

Bayern have also outspent Barcelona in recent years. How does that fit his narrative?

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

I don't think "Germany will write a big cheque to bail out the periphery". quite the opposite the Euro will fall apart and a core group of countries will continue to use a Euro like currency or the ECU.

As Higgins said a multilayered approach is required. You can't tar all with the same brush.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Dortmund nearly went bust in the early 2000's. They hhad to be rescued by a bailout, money partly provided by Bayern. How does that fit into his narrative?

Bayern have also outspent Barcelona in recent years. How does that fit his narrative?
That's pretty much it. In fact, Dortmund have to be careful seeing as only a few years ago when anyone thought of a club and massive debt they were held up as how badly a club could be run. They are frugal because they have to be. The German league is well run because they had their meltdown. As for Bayern, they just hoover up all the good players in Germany.

It looks like he has a passing interest in football and so conveniently ignores some gaping flaws like the above, or referring to the Bayern youth system yet forgetting that the Barca one in recent years produced a team that many consider one of the greatest club sides ever.

It's not a bad analogy, but he makes a lot of it and not sure it really stands up to scrutiny.

B

birthday

I don't think "Germany will write a big cheque to bail out the periphery". quite the opposite the Euro will fall apart and a core group of countries will continue to use a Euro like currency or the ECU.

As Higgins said a multilayered approach is required. You can't tar all with the same brush.
Higgins?

Who is he? some football correspondent talking about economics?

Suttree

I've been steadily going off McWilliams, and this article highlights why.

• St. Pauli and Dortmund have recently nearly gone bust

• Hoffenheim are almost entirely funded by a local billionaire

• I'm 99% the Allianz Arena is owned by Bayern, not the municipality

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

I've been steadily going off McWilliams, and this article highlights why.

• St. Pauli and Dortmund have recently nearly gone bust

• Hoffenheim are almost entirely funded by a local billionaire

• I'm 99% the Allianz Arena is owned by Bayern, not the municipality

McWilliams is an entertaining crackpot. if you keep that in mind you will always find him in the fiction section for a some distraction from reality.

Spanner Island

David McWilliams proposes that German attitudes/psyche/business practices prevail in German football and Spanish attitudes/psyche/business practices prevail in Spanish football... and it gets published...

How profound...

It must be great to be McWilliams...