international housing stock figures expose anglophone countries' failures to build suffficient housing

Patslatt1

international housing stock figures expose anglophone countries' failures to build suffficient housing

See http://www.edgeandodds.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/image-57.png

The statistics on housing stock units relative to population for the USA, Canada, Australia and the UK expose major failures to build sufficient housing since 1990. This drove up housing prices, resulting in heavy mortgage debt burdens for families.
Irish housing expansion looks better than these countries but housing is in short supply in Dublin where most job creation occurs.

Extreme NIMBYISM (not in my backyard) explains the poor housing figures and seems to be stronger in anglophone countries than elsewhere.

When will young voters trying to get on the housing ladder or coping with massive mortgages realise that they have been shafted by the cowardly political classes which pander to NIMBY home owners with highly restrictive planning regulations?

neiphin

3 weeks on Thursday @3 o’clock

PBP voter

NZ as well. The clown they have as PM has made it worse since taking over 5 months ago.

silverharp

is part of it the difference between European renters and house ownership in the Anglo world. Not saying one is better than the other but I'd hate to raise a family in an apartment. So Europeans are just more compliant and care less about the growth in their cities

Clanrickard

The statistics on housing stock units relative to population for the USA, Canada, Australia and the UK expose major failures to build sufficient housing since 1990. This drove up housing prices, resulting in heavy mortgage debt burdens for families.
Irish housing expansion looks better than these countries but housing is in short supply in Dublin where most job creation occurs.

Extreme NIMBYISM (not in my backyard) explains the poor housing figures and seems to be stronger in anglophone countries than elsewhere.

When will young voters trying to get on the housing ladder or coping with massive mortgages realise that they have been shafted by the cowardly political classes which pander to NIMBY home owners with highly restrictive planning regulations?
If you think Irish planning laws are highly restrictive you don't know our planning laws.

devoutcapitalist

is part of it the difference between European renters and house ownership in the Anglo world. Not saying one is better than the other but I'd hate to raise a family in an apartment. So Europeans are just more compliant and care less about the growth in their cities
In many European countries there are facilities in place for children in apartments, yes It's a cultural thing, Irish people don't like apartments even though building in our cities would lead to less suburban sprawl.

gleeful

We need to build higher. Simple as that. Anglophone countries have an obsession with 2 floor hobbit-holes. We need towers.

gleeful

In many European countries there are facilities in place for children in apartments, yes It's a cultural thing, Irish people don't like apartments even though building in our cities would lead to less suburban sprawl.
I'd have been happy with a flat but I bought a house because 1) no management company to deal with or to pay crazy fees to and 2) a house is the same price as a flat - explain that one.

In most countries a flat is half the price of a house of similar area.

devoutcapitalist

I'd have been happy with a flat but I bought a house because 1) no management company to deal with or to pay crazy fees to and 2) a house is the same price as a flat - explain that one.

In most countries a flat is half the price of a house of similar area.
Has local council or government taxes or regulations contributed to the high cost of building new apartments in Ireland, hence the reason why prices for apartments are so high?

silverharp

I like apartments for simple living and plan to sell up and buy a couple when the kids are grown up and left but yeah Irish apartments aren't child friendly.

gleeful

Has local council or government taxes or regulations contributed to the high cost of building new apartments in Ireland, hence the reason why prices for apartments are so high?
I don't see how. I think that Irish developers just don't know how to build towers economically. For example, in Russia they mass produce finished apartments, including some furnishings, deliver them to the site and then basically stack them. They can assemble a 22 story building within weeks.

silverharp

I don't see how. I think that Irish developers just don't know how to build towers economically. For example, in Russia they mass produce finished apartments, including some furnishings, deliver them to the site and then basically stack them. They can assemble a 22 story building within weeks.
if the brits figure it out they could sail them over here

Supra

mr_anderson

Regulations (from health & safety to planning to the council charging you for the 'audacity' of having a crane or cherry picker).
There's also the time it takes to get planning permission.
Planning can take years, thereby incurring significant finance costs.
Don't forget, someone in Galway can object to a planning application in Dublin (so it's not just NIMBYs).
National & local government taxes and charges etc.

The cost of building the damn thing is fairly straightforward.
It's the add-ons that shoot the price skywards.

devoutcapitalist

1) How well built are those apartment buildings? 2) How rigorous are Russian rules and regulations regarding the construction of new apartments? 3) Also what percentage of construction costs on new builds are government taxes?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies