• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

INTO's reaction to cut to entitlement to time in lieu for some holidays during maternity leave.

davidcameron

Budget 2013 - As It Happened - RTÉ News

16:15

The INTO has described the decision to cut pregnant teachers’ entitlement to time in lieu for some holidays that fall during maternity leave as "regressive and unfair".

Sheila Nunan, General Secretary of primary teachers' union, said it would closely examine the implications of the decision on equality grounds and would seek advice.
Ah, for Pete's sake! The Croke Park Agreement protects core pay in the public sector. Therefore, the Government had to introduce a cut to the entitlement in question in order to avoid further cutbacks to the frontline of primary education. What did the INTO expect?!

Glenshane4

Ah, for Pete's sake! The Croke Park Agreement protects core pay in the public sector. Therefore, the Government had to introduce a cut to the entitlement in question in order to avoid further cutbacks to the frontline of primary education. What did the INTO expect?!
Why do teachers receive pay when off on maternity leave? Teachers should be paid only for teaching, not for breeding. Why should the taxpayer have to subsidise any teacher's decision to breed?

firefly123

Why do teachers receive pay when off on maternity leave? Teachers should be paid only for teaching, not for breeding. Why should the taxpayer have to subsidise any teacher's decision to breed?

Maternity Benefit is paid weekly directly into your bank or building society account. Some employers will continue to pay an employee, in full, while she is on maternity leave and require her to have any Maternity Benefit paid to them. You should check your contract of employment to see what applies to you. Maternity Benefit is not taxable. You can get more information from Revenue on how Maternity Benefit is treated for tax purposes.
Maternity Benefit

Maternity benefit is now taxable.

Taxpayers such as yourself (I assume) receive the benefit of having a new generation to pay for your incontinence pants and feeding tubes when they are old. Countries, such as Russia, are about to hit a major problem as their populations drop off a cliff in numbers. You, of course, know this and are just being an obstrepourous for the sake of it.

Spanner Island

Can't stand Sheila Nunan myself...

She comes across as a right bint...

In fact I can't stand most of the union leadership in this country... no surprise there I guess...

Doran is ok although I certainly don't agree with most of the sh!te he comes out with...

I think of him as the unions version of Michael O'Leary... same style...

potholedogger

Teachers want their holiday time added to Maternity Leave if any of it falls during the 6 month maternity leave.

Glenshane4

Taxpayers such as yourself (I assume) receive the benefit of having a new generation to pay for your incontinence pants and feeding tubes when they are old. Countries, such as Russia, are about to hit a major problem as their populations drop off a cliff in numbers. You, of course, know this and are just being an obstrepourous for the sake of it.
That does not answer why teachers should get paid for breeding while factory workers and shop assistants do not.

As for population decline, is there any evidence of that in Ireland? We seem to have no difficulty attracting immigrants - many of whom we would be better not attracting.

Please face the fact: Teachers are pampered and overpaid.

asset test

Is there any female teacher in this day and age who doesn't plan the pregnancy so that maternity leave commences on the first day back in September!!

Then this issue would not arise... Correct?

Plan yer babies to maximise the time off, or put up with the new arrangements. :D

davoid

what did you expect from teachers? To be agreeable to anything that doesn't involve more pay or reduced hours?

These are teachers, man, get a grip.

rgaok

Teachers want their holiday time added to Maternity Leave if any of it falls during the 6 month maternity leave.
Most teachers get far more than 6 months maternity leave. Most tie it in with their summer holidays of 9 weeks. And then any holidays they miss during the 6 months they get added on. Some even get a Doctor's cert at the end of all that and get another month off or .....

linny55

That does not answer why teachers should get paid for breeding while factory workers and shop assistants do not.

As for population decline, is there any evidence of that in Ireland? We seem to have no difficulty attracting immigrants - many of whom we would be better not attracting.

What a ************************************g ignoramus , your family and friends must be really enthralled by your wit and wisdom , or are ye all thick ************************************s.

lying eyes

Many public and civil workers organise this so that holidays and Materinity leave tag each other- good Catholics family planning. By the way to-day most state core benefits are subject to txation, so pregant teachers are no different, only the system catching up.

davidcameron

Private-sector mothers, like their public-sector sisters, are entitled to maternity leave, though it presumably depends on the nature of the business that the employer is involved in. If it's a prosperous accounting firm, then the entitlement would probably be quite generous. If it's a smaller business, the entitlement might be smaller because of the issue of viability while a member of staff is on a long period of leave.

Pink Panther

The INTO let their members down with this nonsense. Absolutely no sense of a national emergency with them. Personally, I'm sick of these clowns and their complete lack of patriotism.

Expose the lot of them

Private-sector mothers, like their public-sector sisters, are entitled to maternity leave, though it presumably depends on the nature of the business that the employer is involved in. If it's a prosperous accounting firm, then the entitlement would probably be quite generous. If it's a smaller business, the entitlement might be smaller because of the issue of viability while a member of staff is on a long period of leave.
All female employees are entitled to maternity leave, in the public sector they received maternity pay in additon to statutory maternity benefit. On the other hand few private sector employees are paid by their employers during maternity leave.

jake76

What should the benefit be if our employer is bankrupt?

wombat

I want to win lotto, doesn't mean I will

cricket

I suppose it's easy for a me, male to say this, but that provision seems extraordinarily generous.

alloverbartheshouting

Thank you, David. You did not equate the INTO with primary teachers. I am a member of the INTO and to be honest, I find myself exasperated and frustrated by their continuous entitlement and pay campaigns. I understand that this is what a union exists to do, i.e. protect working conditions, however so much time is spent highlighted the negative aspects of teaching (from their perspective) that the positive is never truly presented.

I do not think it has ever been fair that teachers get such good maternity leave - what about every other new mother in the country? True, each employeer has a different approach to maternity leave - some pay for it and others do not. Some include time in lieu, others do not. Family leave should be the same for all employees, regardless of sector and it should reflect the needs of everyone. But here we call it maternity leave, not family leave.

The INTO may take union dues from the majority of primary teachers, but believe me when I say that many primary teachers do not support the organisation. There is no alternative at present, but that does not mean that we all blindly arise and follow Ms. Nunan.

alloverbartheshouting

I suppose it's easy for a me, male to say this, but that provision seems extraordinarily generous.
Of course it is. It is also inequitable - I've never met a male teacher who could avail of such benefits.

And I say this as a female primary teacher.