Introduce Yourself Thread

between the bridges

Em, sorry BtB, em....800 hundred years, Fnupp the Queen (even though I actually have a lot of admiration for her)......

(How's that?)
Much better one cannot be seen to be fraternising with themuns (even the mexicant wans) other than at the xmas soccerball game between the trenches...

Emily Davison

I've been trying to leave this place for years.

Sorry for you all, its like the Hotel California, you can check out but never actually leave (and they don't seem to have much by the way of booze here either....)
Don't you dare leave. The place wouldn't be the same without you. In any case Petaljam has the keys so you can't leave even though you've checked out many times.

Emily Davison

Probably a rare one on this forum, but I am British (live in London). In a year and a half long relationship with my girlfriend whose parents are Irish and I imagine if things continue to go well, I will be seeing many relatives from Ireland at occasions and any children we have would be eligible for Irish citizenship if they so choose. I'm mainly looking to learn about the main issues in Ireland as well as the parties and key figures so I'm not a complete ignoramus if and when I visit there.

In terms of views, I don't think I'm going to be popular as I am centre right, pro-Brexit, pro-Unionist (to a point), monarchist and very opposed to radical leftist politics and economics. Will try to be civil ;)
Oh dear. Is this a wind up. You're going to get on splendidly old chap. They is gonna loves you.

There are two pointers you didn't give us. How is you on de gheys, and shsh, abortion?

The OD

I love him too, and he's never pretended to support Everton, not even as a joke. He's teddibly funny at times. Knows a little French too!

How's things OD? Keeping well I trust.
All good Soc, just mental busy in work last few months hence my lack of an appearance for long stints. Barely a drop of whiskey has passed my lips in some time.....anyway, glad to see there are still some sane people about the place here!

The OD

Don't you dare leave. The place wouldn't be the same without you. In any case Petaljam has the keys so you can't leave even though you've checked out many times.
God knows I tried. Tried death by mod, virtual suicide and somehow, like a scene from a horror movie, I find myself here, typing away wondering when I logged on.....

:)

Cobbler91

Oh dear. Is this a wind up. You're going to get on splendidly old chap. They is gonna loves you.

There are two pointers you didn't give us. How is you on de gheys, and shsh, abortion?
If it makes you happy I am about as interested in lobbying for reunifying Britain and Ireland as I am in becoming a vegan or moving to Syria so on bog standard issues I might not be too bad haha.

Gays: Fine with everything they have now such as adoption rights, marriage etc. Have gay friends and what they do behind closed doors is their business.

Abortion: I get more pro life the longer the pregnancy goes on for. All for terminating it in the early stages when the foetus is just a collection of cells. I think the UK's policy is fine on the issue. That said, I did find the "celebrations" in the streets after your referendum a bit tasteless personally considering the subject matter.

Cobbler91

Welcome aboard old chap, best to have a thick skin when posting on these interweb playgrounds especially if yer pro-Brexit, pro-Unionist (to a point), monarchist as the natives will equate that to baby eating, but you can charm them by pretending to support whichever EPL team they follow...
Well I'm doomed as I support a League Two team (Northampton) so I'll likely end up calling everyone glory hunters haha.

Baron von Biffo

Probably a rare one on this forum, but I am British (live in London). In a year and a half long relationship with my girlfriend whose parents are Irish and I imagine if things continue to go well, I will be seeing many relatives from Ireland at occasions and any children we have would be eligible for Irish citizenship if they so choose. I'm mainly looking to learn about the main issues in Ireland as well as the parties and key figures so I'm not a complete ignoramus if and when I visit there.

In terms of views, I don't think I'm going to be popular as I am centre right, pro-Brexit, pro-Unionist (to a point), monarchist and very opposed to radical leftist politics and economics. Will try to be civil ;)
Worry not. That demographic is more than adequately covered here already.

Emily Davison

. That said, I did find the "celebrations" in the streets after your referendum a bit tasteless personally considering the subject matter.
That is to misunderstand what happened that day. The celebration was not about abortion. It was about freedom. For Irish women. And freedom for all the Irish women that were forced in secret to your country.

(thank you for your reply)

The OD

That is to misunderstand what happened that day. The celebration was not about abortion. It was about freedom. For Irish women. And freedom for all the Irish women that were forced in secret to your country.

(thank you for your reply)
Exactly. My wife and many women I know who have never had an abortion and hopefully will never need one said that it removed the fear, especially in the case of fatal foetal abnormality that one day she might be forced to either give birth or travel to the UK for a termination. It also gave two fingers to disturbed people like Ronan Mullen who saw fit to snigger at the testimony of women who wanted their children but due to FFA had to go to the UK rather than get the care they needed at home.

I'd be pretty sure that the numbers who avail of 'abortion on demand' did not rise just because its now available here, why would it? If someone see's it as a form of contraception then there are other things going on for them I'd imagine? People do not, under any circumstances, actually want to have an abortion, why would they? Necessary as it might be, its hardly desirable?

So yes, it wasn't not to do with being able to have an abortion, it was to do with their freedom to make choices over their own body.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Ah... introductory pieces. I used to like those when t'internet and 'bulletin boards' and conversation strings were a new thing.

'Born wrong on the 29th February in a corner of Ireland, Lumpy Talbot grew to become one of Ireland's leading proponents of bicycular velocipedalism. Refusing to race on ethical grounds that pushing bicycles to their limits was cruel, Talbot sought to dedicate himself to the theory that veclocipedal bicycularity should only be applied at modest speeds in order to allow both rider and machine to admire the passing surroundings.

Taking a keen interest in both built environment and cultural landscape Talbot was for many years Chairman of the board and advocate for well-being policies which included a proposal to erect a Massive Bronze Badger with Clockwork Moving Ears on a suitable promontory on the Irish landscape. Talbot's battle with unimaginative bureaucrats was a lifelong commitment and it is suspected led to early retirement for an entire generation of civil and public servants.'

I may add to this living obituary later.

Round tower

Ah... introductory pieces. I used to like those when t'internet and 'bulletin boards' and conversation strings were a new thing.

'Born wrong on the 29th February in a corner of Ireland, Lumpy Talbot grew to become one of Ireland's leading proponents of bicycular velocipedalism. Refusing to race on ethical grounds that pushing bicycles to their limits was cruel, Talbot sought to dedicate himself to the theory that veclocipedal bicycularity should only be applied at modest speeds in order to allow both rider and machine to admire the passing surroundings.

Taking a keen interest in both built environment and cultural landscape Talbot was for many years Chairman of the board and advocate for well-being policies which included a proposal to erect a Massive Bronze Badger with Clockwork Moving Ears on a suitable promontory on the Irish landscape. Talbot's battle with unimaginative bureaucrats was a lifelong commitment and it is suspected led to early retirement for an entire generation of civil and public servants.'

Nice to know that their is ssomeone else on here who only has a birthday every 4 years, i do at times think that it's was part of me who is unlucky, i will be 14 next year

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies