Introduction of overdue congestion charges in Dublin could be facilitated by reduction in road tax

Patslatt1

Algiers
Buenos Aires
Baku (thats in Azerbajain btw)
and
Minsk in Belarus

have all opened undergrounds in the last 5 years

You saying we're poorer or less capable of building infrastructure than them ?

Its fairly simple ....
1. especially in a city with narrow roadways like Dublin ...if you have no extra capacity on ground level (none zero zilch) , no space above ground level ...then the ONLY solution is underground
2. It never gets any cheaper than Today!!
Dictatorships enjoy vanity projects such as underground railways, giant stadiums and colossal government buildings.

Patslatt1

The answer was housing density. Something the great minds of the Irish Times and elsewhere spent the last three decades denigrating. Ireland is not a serious country.
In a post,I accused one Irish Times writer of snobbery for knocking a high rise proposal.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
In a post,I accused one Irish Times writer of snobbery for knocking a high rise proposal.
Who cares if the plebs have to commute from Kildare?

brughahaha

Dictatorships enjoy vanity projects such as underground railways, giant stadiums and colossal government buildings.
Buenos Airies is under dictatorship now ...who new

I also left out a plethora of other cities

But the irish way ...Have lots of quangos, lots of consultant reports and lots of jobs for the boys and girls but no infrastructure investment ..........

paddycomeback

The Green Trojan Horse party wouldn't go along with this.
Hit their Dublin voter base? You're joking.
No, crucify rural Ireland on a cross of carbon.

wombat

Regarding public transport between the canals, how much is really needed? 50 years ago, I remember my grandmother who was in her 70's would walk from the South Circular road (on the city side of the Grand canal) to Moore street to do her shopping rather than wait for a bus, even though she had free travel. Most people travelled around the city by bicycle, its quite a small area.

Patslatt1

The Green Trojan Horse party wouldn't go along with this.
Hit their Dublin voter base? You're joking.
No, crucify rural Ireland on a cross of carbon.
There is a carbon tax already and maybe it needs to increase to meet CO2 targets which are exceeded by a wide margin.

Patslatt1

Regarding public transport between the canals, how much is really needed? 50 years ago, I remember my grandmother who was in her 70's would walk from the South Circular road (on the city side of the Grand canal) to Moore street to do her shopping rather than wait for a bus, even though she had free travel. Most people travelled around the city by bicycle, its quite a small area.
That's about four miles walk to Moore St including the return walk carrying shopping. A ten pound weight on a walk raises the exercise value roughly to a jog. Back in the 1950s and 1960s,car ownership was relatively low and the habit of long walks developed in childhood,including walking to school carrying a satchel of books. In rural Ireland, I walked my uncle's valuable racing greyhound four miles a day in two walks from the age of 10 to 12, developing a lifelong habit of daily walking. Today's youth don't walk much and that results in poor fitness and, in middle age when people become vulnerable to diseases, serious health consequences.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies