• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Introduction of pepper-spray announced

Should the Gardai be equipped with pepper-sprays?

• Yes

Votes: 45 68.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern TD has announced the introduction of the pepper-spray (properly referred to as the incapacitant spray) for use by all members of An Garda Siochana.

The use of so–called pepper spray by police in other jurisdictions has been found to be a contributing factor in reducing such assaults and injuries to Police Officers. It was also found that the use by Police of such sprays has been a factor in reducing injuries to suspects as well as a reduction in allegations of excessive force against Police Officers.
Minister for Justice, Dermot Ahern TD

The decision follows a reccommendation from the Garda Commissioner, and is justified by Minister Ahern by citing the increase in assults and "obstructions" on Garda between 2006 and 2007.

The Irish Council for Civil Liberties (ICCL) has insisted that any Garda issued with such weapons be properly trained in their use, and that the health effects of any such weapons be fully tested prior to their introduction.

Pepper spray weapons – including their active ingredients and their chemical solvents and propellants – can have damaging short and long-term effects on a number of bodily systems and functions. These weapons are particularly dangerous if used against people whose health is impaired or on young people.
ICCL Director Mr Mark Kelly

Aindriu

About time too. They should have had it years ago.

Rich OC

Website
www.twitter.com
Appears reasonable all around, the Gardai should have it, and they should be properly trained to use it.

Sensible Government move (for a change).

mccafferty cat

Just a day after the Senior Citizens protest.........

Co-incidence?

constitutionus

i KNEW those grannies would feck things up for all of us ! :)

Big Bobo

Absolutely disgraceful measure. It's obvious this has been brought in to intimidate people especially protesters. How many innocent people will be sprayed while no one is looking? The big man guards will be just looking for any opportunity to use their new toy. Suprisingly you'll hear no objection from the FGers. Their entire party was built upon armed men attacking and suppressing innocent people.

wysiwyg

While part of me agrees with this introduction... another small part of me knows in my bones, that some Guards will abuse it... will give it a cautious welcome

constitutionus

you know i thought it was great yesterday where during the whole protest the media didnt mention the gardai once.

yet as soon as the students came onto the scene 68 gardai miraculously turned up " to keep order"

funny ol world eh ? :)

jpc

Absolutely disgraceful measure. It's obvious this has been brought in to intimidate people especially protesters. How many innocent people will be sprayed while no one is looking? The big man guards will be just looking for any opportunity to use their new toy. Suprisingly you'll hear no objection from the FGers. Their entire party was built upon armed men attacking and suppressing innocent people.
Get off the high moral pedestal.Go out some weekend instead of reading Marx or whatever.Stop being such an earnest right on against the man stereotype and watch the prols at play.

Big Bobo

Get off the high moral pedestal.Go out some weekend instead of reading Marx or whatever.Stop being such an earnest right on against the man stereotype and watch the prols at play.
I suppose you think the guards having pepper sparay is "for their protection"

Aindriu

Of course it is. It is a very effective way of subduing someone who is being violent but then you probably believe that the gards are just paid to be punch bags for langers and nackers.

Big Bobo

you know i thought it was great yesterday where during the whole protest the media didnt mention the gardai once.

yet as soon as the students came onto the scene 68 gardai miraculously turned up " to keep order"

funny ol world eh ? :)
Yes you can't beat old folk, bad publicity apparently. Students are fair game however. The media have successfully drilled into people's minds that they are all rich lazy hippies who sit around watching daytime TV or having gangbangs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCznvywH9G4"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

jpc

Beats them all carrying sidearms.

Bloody effective stuff you won't mess with it again but you won't be dead or covered in bruises either.

Big Bobo

Of course it is. It is a very effective way of subduing someone who is being violent but then you probably believe that the gards are just paid to be punch bags for langers and nackers.
No the purpose of the guards is to maintain inequality, protect the property of the rich, enforce the will of the ruling class over ordinary people, protect the interests of multinational corporation while beating anyone to a pulp who objects.

No the purpose of the guards is to maintain inequality, protect the property of the rich, enforce the will of the ruling class over ordinary people, protect the interests of multinational corporation while beating anyone to a pulp who objects.
yeah yeah whatever

mi5

More hysterical balderdash. The Police are there to enforce law and order and if some ballbags take it upon themselves to cause trouble then The Police are within their right to protect themselves with pepper spray etc.

jcdf

Personally I feel pepper-spray will not make much difference when things turn really rough. It will have little deterent on armed robbers. I have no objections to Guards carrying pepper-sprays. I hear the stuff is biodegradable. So Guards can use it on as many protesters as they like with out probable cause and not get caught.:)

jpc

Oh so this is for our protection now is it?
Its obviously passed your attention but. The vast number of people getting maimed on weekends are ordinary Joes and Bo Bo's like you and me.It isn't the Gara that are dishing out the misery, but scobes and knackers full of drugs and a not inconsiderable amount of drinK. Occasionaly the GS in more built up areas have to deal with same non socially integrated scum.Obviously the stab vests are intimidating by you standards so?
Must head off now and do a few things.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Long overdue. Crime in Wexford is out of control. No more Mr.Nice Guy. Gangs of adolescent males armed with knives are terrorising the community across the country. The hands of the Gardai are tied because many of them cannot be charged because they are under 18. Councils have failed to use their powers concerning ASBOs which calls into question whether in the eyes of our political elite, the rights of criminals matter more than those of the law-abiding people of this country.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies