Invasion 2005


Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
Irish Times 2 April 2005

Those granted PPS since 1 May 2004 until end of February 2005.

Poland: 32,648
Lithuania: 14,700
Latvia: 7,519
Slovakia: 5,830
Czech: 3,755
Hungary: 2,213
Estonia: 1,952
Malta: 148
Slovenia: 75
Cyprus: 28

Source: Dept. of Social & Family Affairs for those granted Personal Public Service Numbers (PPS).

70,000 or so. Perhaps another 30,000 here working illegally?

Remember these figures are for the new accession Countries alone!


Polish Information and Cultural Centre estimates a total of 50,000 have come here when the thousands being exploited on the Black Economy are taken into account.

An estimated 15% return home without settling.

Newbridge, Co Kildare is being called little Warsaw.!!!
At least 100 Poles a day on average are entering the State’s job market.

Can anyone tell me who was the senior Irish politican who rejected as spurious fears over Immigration after the new EU countries joined?

Was it Pat Rabbitte? claiming that only 3 or 4 thousand would arrive. If so we could nail him on that! :D
 

Pidge

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
427
Catalpa said:
70,000 or so. Perhaps another 30,000 here working illegally?
First of all you are plucking that figure from nowhere. Second of all, how can somebody from within the EU work within the EU illegally?

Newbridge, Co Kildare is being called little Warsaw.!!!
At least 100 Poles a day on average are entering the State’s job market.
I was under the impression our economy needed low skill employees, the kind of jobs many recent immigrants would fill. What exactly is wrong with Newbridge's new nickname - its better than some I've heard! Of course when Irish people emmigrate, they fit seamlessly in and don't group into certain areas. :wink:

I'm confused. In other threads, you complain that immigrants don't work and how you rarely see black people driving to work at the same time as you.
Now that some immigrants are working and contributing to the state, you bemoan the loss of jobs!
What should immigrants do? Not get jobs and "sponge" or get jobs and steal them from locals?
 

BarryW

Active member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
262
Yak yak yak.

Again with the same old yarn, Catalpa.

And they say I'M like a broken record!
 

Pidge

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
427
stringjack said:
Pidge said:
What should immigrants do?
"Go home", I think you'll find.
I was hoping Catalpa would say that! If they went home, they would cease to be immigrants, so they wouldn't have to have gone home - which leaves them in a vicious semantic circle.
 
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
7,992
Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Pidge said:
Catalpa said:
70,000 or so. Perhaps another 30,000 here working illegally?
First of all you are plucking that figure from nowhere. Second of all, how can somebody from within the EU work within the EU illegally?

Newbridge, Co Kildare is being called little Warsaw.!!!
At least 100 Poles a day on average are entering the State’s job market.
I was under the impression our economy needed low skill employees, the kind of jobs many recent immigrants would fill. What exactly is wrong with Newbridge's new nickname - its better than some I've heard! Of course when Irish people emmigrate, they fit seamlessly in and don't group into certain areas. :wink:

I'm confused. In other threads, you complain that immigrants don't work and how you rarely see black people driving to work at the same time as you.
Now that some immigrants are working and contributing to the state, you bemoan the loss of jobs!
What should immigrants do? Not get jobs and "sponge" or get jobs and steal them from locals?
But if Irish people are being sacked because they wont work for as cheap as these immigrants - who come from countries with annual salaries as low as US$1,500 per annum - then a stage may come where we may need to introduce the kind of immigration controls other EU states are doing.

It is conceivable that when the other EU states remove their immigration barriers by 2009-11 as they are supposed to do, that we MAY see a big drop in numbers coming to Ireland, but if this does not materialise then controls will be needed .After all, 70,000 per annum X 10 years = 700,000. Thus over 50 years = 3.5 million. If we allow that amount of cheap labour in we are asking for trouble.

In addition, I am now totally opposed to any further enlargement of the EU.
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
Pidge said:
Catalpa said:
70,000 or so. Perhaps another 30,000 here working illegally?
First of all you are plucking that figure from nowhere. Second of all, how can somebody from within the EU work within the EU illegally?

Newbridge, Co Kildare is being called little Warsaw.!!!
At least 100 Poles a day on average are entering the State’s job market.
I was under the impression our economy needed low skill employees, the kind of jobs many recent immigrants would fill. What exactly is wrong with Newbridge's new nickname - its better than some I've heard! Of course when Irish people emmigrate, they fit seamlessly in and don't group into certain areas. :wink:

I'm confused. In other threads, you complain that immigrants don't work and how you rarely see black people driving to work at the same time as you.
Now that some immigrants are working and contributing to the state, you bemoan the loss of jobs!
What should immigrants do? Not get jobs and "sponge" or get jobs and steal them from locals?
First of all you are plucking that figure from nowhere.

Well add up the figures Pidge...comes to around 70,000. I have given the source/s if care to look again.

Second of all, how can somebody from within the EU work within the EU illegally?

The citizens of the new accession states must have PPS number to work. those that come here and work without them are illegal workers.

I'm confused. In other threads, you complain that immigrants don't work and how you rarely see black people driving to work at the same time as you.

The vast majority of the Black immigrants are here claiming asylum. They are not allowed to work while doing so.

Yet most of them do not present the appearence of people who live on Social Welfare handouts.

I never said Immigrants don't work. The majority do. But far too many are coming here right now in such huge numbers that the Irish will very soon be a minority in areas of Dublin.

How is that to the benefit of Irish people?

TBH I don't blame the working Immigrants for this mess. It is our fault and only we can solve it.

I am detemined to play my part in that Campaign to bring immigration under control.

Are you with me?
 

Pidge

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
427
FutureTaoiseach said:
But if Irish people are being sacked because they wont work for as cheap as these immigrants - who come from countries with annual salaries as low as US$1,500 per annum - then a stage may come where we may need to introduce the kind of immigration controls other EU states are doing.
As far as I know that isn't really happening. Besides, the kind of jobs many new immigrants are going for are often unwanted by nationals.
Also, doesn't the minimum wage protect against that to a large degree?

FutureTaoiseach said:
In addition, I am now totally opposed to any further enlargement of the EU.
Me too!
 

smiffy

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
1,279
Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Catalpa said:
First of all you are plucking that figure from nowhere.

Well add up the figures Pidge...comes to around 70,000. I have given the source/s if care to look again.
I assume he meant the 30,000 figure.

The vast majority of the Black immigrants are here claiming asylum.
How do you know that?

I am detemined to play my part in that Campaign to bring immigration under control.

Are you with me?
YES!

Actually, no. Only kidding. ;)

So what are you going to be doing?
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
Don't know yet folks.

We can't be the only people out there who think something must be done.

We can make people aware about the immigration problem right here for one.

Talk to your friends, work colleagues, Family relations, about it.

Visit your local Public Representatives.

Write letters to the papers.

Any other suggestions gladly entertained. :D

But obviously more organized resistance is needed.

The good thing is we know the anger is out there but we must find the key to unlock it.

If we don't someone else will that is for sure.

If anyone is from Dublin maybe we could meet in private and discuss tactics.

Goodnight....till tomorrow.
 

LordJagged

Member
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
55
Poland: 32,648
Lithuania: 14,700
Latvia: 7,519
Slovakia: 5,830
Czech: 3,755
Hungary: 2,213
Estonia: 1,952
Malta: 148
Slovenia: 75
Cyprus: 28
Catalpa, these people are more than likely white christian europeans, I fail to see why you have a problem with these, our fellow EU citizens, coming here to work and by inference pay their taxes.

As for the Black Economy, it has been proven impossible to quantify both in terms of amount of € and numbers of people involved [understandable given its very nature]. For participation in the Black Economy, I suggest that you look to our Non EU, non western guests first, then to our own serial offenders, and only then at the well mannered and hard working Balt/Pole/Slavic brother or sister who you will encounter working in Ireland today.
 
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
7,992
Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
LordJagged said:
Poland: 32,648
Lithuania: 14,700
Latvia: 7,519
Slovakia: 5,830
Czech: 3,755
Hungary: 2,213
Estonia: 1,952
Malta: 148
Slovenia: 75
Cyprus: 28
Catalpa, these people are more than likely white christian europeans, I fail to see why you have a problem with these, our fellow EU citizens, coming here to work and by inference pay their taxes.

As for the Black Economy, it has been proven impossible to quantify both in terms of amount of € and numbers of people involved [understandable given its very nature]. For participation in the Black Economy, I suggest that you look to our Non EU, non western guests first, then to our own serial offenders, and only then at the well mannered and hard working Balt/Pole/Slavic brother or sister who you will encounter working in Ireland today.
Being white is irrelevant to this debate. They constitute cheap labour. That makes Irish would-be employees less attractive to an employer because Eastern Europeans will work for cheaper because wages are so low in their countries. Charity begins at home.

We don't want them taking our jobs!

By the way, they are not required to work to come here - did you know that? After the 2 year period is up, they are fully entitled to social welfare and so could become a burden on the State.

BTW Catalpa, I recommend an email campaign targeted at TD's, especially FF-PD ones.
 
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
7,992
Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
stringjack said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
We don't want them taking our jobs!
They're not your jobs.
They might have been otherwise but for the influx of cheap labour.

I am detemined to play my part in that Campaign to bring immigration under control.

Are you with me?
Yes. I recommend we all email Government and Opposition TD's with our views on tightening immigration controls and protecting our identity and jobs. The fatcats who love cheap labour are being very selfish and greedy.
 

TheBear

Active member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
234
FutureTaoiseach said:
stringjack said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
We don't want them taking our jobs!
They're not your jobs.
They might have been otherwise but for the influx of cheap labour.

I am detemined to play my part in that Campaign to bring immigration under control.

Are you with me?
Yes. I recommend we all email Government and Opposition TD's with our views on tightening immigration controls and protecting our identity and jobs. The fatcats who love cheap labour are being very selfish and greedy.
That is a ridiculous point, poorly made.

Why not try to actually do something to solve the problem, like formulate a strategy that would solve the problem? No? Sound like too much hard work? Better stick to your whinging and complaining about current standards then, hadn't you...?
 
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
7,992
Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
That is a ridiculous point, poorly made.

Why not try to actually do something to solve the problem, like formulate a strategy that would solve the problem? No? Sound like too much hard work? Better stick to your whinging and complaining about current standards then, hadn't you...?
Poorly made is in the eye of the beholder. Just because you disagree iwth me does not mean my point is poorly made. I consider your point poorly made.

I have given clear ideas earlier in thread on what to do.
 

MacCoise

Active member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
102
But if Irish people are being sacked because they wont work for as cheap as these immigrants - who come from countries with annual salaries as low as US$1,500 per annum - then a stage may come where we may need to introduce the kind of immigration controls other EU states are doing.
or maybe just maybe we should call for ALL workers to be paid a fair wage
 
Top