Inventor of the Wind Up Radio passes away

cozzy121

firefly123

Has anyone tried turning him a few times?

Betson

RIP , I believe the application came in very useful in African countries etc where they had little or no access electricity.

CatullusV

RIP , I believe the application came in very useful in African countries etc where they had little or no access electricity.
It did indeed, and was a brilliant exploitation of developments in low power consumption electronics. The lad done good.

RasherHash

Is this a wind-up :confused:

Betson

I remember seeing him on BBC's "Tomorrows World" all those years ago.
Tomorrows world , that is a blast form the past.

Remember when the mobile phone idea was first mooted on that and was widely dismissed as a ridiculous idea , why would anyone want to carry around their own phone when there was a phone box on every street corner.

cozzy121

Remember when the mobile phone idea was first mooted on that and was widely dismissed as a ridiculous idea , why would anyone want to carry around their own phone when there was a phone box on every street corner.
I remember they used to have a Prince of Wales Award for the best invention every year, and also the invention of that advertising wrap you see on double decker buses - it still allows daylight to enter the windows of the buses that are covered...

dizillusioned

With all you heartless *********s in here making puns, the poor man did more for many than any of us will ever do.... I am sure the poor man will be turning in his grave..;)

wexfordman

[video=youtube;vix6TMnj9vY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vix6TMnj9vY[/video]

Last edited:

hiding behind a poster

Is a Wind Up Radio one that broadcasts fake news?

Voice of Unreason

I bought one of his radios, good idea but the build quality was poor. The wind up handle wasn't the best, came off after a couple of months when the screw fell out. The little solar panel on the top stopped working and overtime the noise from the winding mechanism nearly drowned out the radio broadcast. I read some companies ripped off his idea, hopefully they improved on the design.

General Urko

An incredible invention which did a huge amount of good in the developing world!

Betson

I read some companies ripped off his idea, hopefully they improved on the design.
Read yesterday that even though millions of units were sold he made nothing out of the invention because of a quirk in patent law and spend his last few healthy years lobbying for a change in the patent laws to protect inventors , seemingly the company he went in to business with to make the radio enabled a loophole where they slightly changed his original design and therefore claim it as their own and
deny him the royalties due to him from the sales.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies