• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Iodine deficiency may lower children's IQ

Mark.Keogh

BBC News - Iodine deficiency 'may lower UK children's IQ'

Go into a pharmacy and one can only find iodine in kelp tablets, allegedly as addicts cut traditional iodine powder with narcotics in the 1980's. Irish multiples also removed it from their shelves (fearing adverse publicity for stocking the stuff), thankfully the discounters brought it back.

More of the ban/compel dogma and less educated/moderated use angle, yes that works so well in Ireland.

thegregster

Finally a use for those tablets the government sent out around 2002.

D

Dylan2010

The spray from crashing sea waves releases iodine into the air, so as you are taking in a peaceful stroll along the beach you are breathing in the benefits of iodine entering your respiratory system.

seabhcan

The spray from crashing sea waves releases iodine into the air, so as you are taking in a peaceful stroll along the beach you are breathing in the benefits of iodine entering your respiratory system.
Some of these studies which look at IQ and diet tend ignore that parents who fail to provide a healthy diet tend to be on the dim side themselves, and dim parents tend to have dim kids.

D

Dylan2010

Some of these studies which look at IQ and diet tend ignore that parents who fail to provide a healthy diet tend to be on the dim side themselves, and dim parents tend to have dim kids.
Im not sure how they can isolate such variables in strict cause and effect terms. its pretty obvious that "smarter" mothers will do a lot of research when pregnant and try to get everything just right where as the dumber ones will probably keep smoking and drinking and the rest. The same smarter parents afterwards will again be stimulating the kids every which way they can. How the hell do you breakdown the cause and effects if testing for IQ? unless they can show how the brains are chemically different it would be hard to prove either way, the study didn't suggest they had done such work unless I missed it

ShoutingIsLeadership

Im not sure how they can isolate such variables in strict cause and effect terms. its pretty obvious that "smarter" mothers will do a lot of research when pregnant and try to get everything just right where as the dumber ones will probably keep smoking and drinking and the rest. The same smarter parents afterwards will again be stimulating the kids every which way they can. How the hell do you breakdown the cause and effects if testing for IQ? unless they can show how the brains are chemically different it would be hard to prove either way, the study didn't suggest they had done such work unless I missed it
Smarter and dumber? I suggest that it might be more appropriate to supplement those words with very caring and less caring.

Some people are as dumb as a doorpost, but still do their best to try to do the right thing - but fail miserably. Others have brains to burn and adopt a less attentive approach.

tipp revolution

I can almost taste it wish I was there.....

D

Dylan2010

Smarter and dumber? I suggest that it might be more appropriate to supplement those words with very caring and less caring.

Some people are as dumb as a doorpost, but still do their best to try to do the right thing - but fail miserably. Others have brains to burn and adopt a less attentive approach.
maybe, a woman with a phd who drinks while pregnant is dumb , a woman with no education who relies of basic parenting skills passed down through the generations is smart in my book

ShoutingIsLeadership

maybe, a woman with a phd who drinks while pregnant is dumb , a woman with no education who relies of basic parenting skills passed down through the generations is smart in my book
The former might be very smart but just not give a toss; the latter might be very dumb, but care a lot. I take your point, though - I just think some people (not you) give 'thick' people a very hard time and assume they can't be good parents.

SAT

In the case of iodine, the link between lack of iodine and low IQ is long established. In some areas of India and China, centuries of intensive farming has greatly depleted the amount of iodine in the soil, leading to 750 million cases of IDD, (iodine dietary deficiency) resulting in 10 million cases of cretinism. Prior to the discovery of the dietary link, IDD was a major problem in southern Europe, with early Alpine climbers finding entire villages populated entirely by cretins.

Following a WHO initiative to address the problem, since 2002, all table salt is now iodised in areas deemed to be at risk.

What is new now is that it has been assumed for many years, that IDD is not a problem in the developed world, whereas the report's authors suggest we have been overly complacent in this regard. However before people rush off to buy iodine pills, it is worth noting, too much iodine (more than 1mg per day) is damaging to the thyroid gland. Best natural sources are cow's milk and fish (especially haddock).

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies