Iodine Tablets Anyone?



david

Active member
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
190

Badboy

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2003
Messages
34
agora said:
Please tell me I'm not the only one worried by this article. Hope it's only speculation, but if not....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/nuclear/artic ... 83,00.html
Given that the Guardian is the in-house journal for the Labour Party, it is likely that there is some foundation for the story.

However to side track entirely. Iodine is of no use what so ever in the event of a catastrophic explosion from Sellafield.

Iodine works by replacing radioactive iodine in the thyroid preventing thyroid cancer. It is only likely to work in children and not adults. So rather than acting as a panacea against a range of cancers it may provide protection to one small group of people against one type of cancer.

However before we get excited and say well some protection is better than none, it is important to remember where radioactiove iodides come from. They come from nuclear bombs. There is no radioactive iodides produced by Britains scummy nuclear fuel reprocessing plants. Therefore a direct conventional misile strike on Sellafield's waste tanks would not release radioactive iodine into the atomosphere. (It would release a lot of even nastier things......)

It is also thought unlikely that a so called dirty nuclear bomb would release iodides so the only use that iodine (best before date anyone...) has is in the event of a direct nuclear strike in whick case thyroid cancer would be the least of our worries.

The best thing to do in the case of a nuclear strike is stick you head between your legs and kiss your ass good bye (od duck and cover as the yanks used say)

All in all the release of iodine tablets was just a cynical ploy to protect and thunderingly inept and stupid minister.
 

agora

Active member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
106
Website
www.doonesbury.com
But if iodine tablets are so useless, why was there so much media furore about the failure to roll them out quick enough to households? Most media outlets gave the impression that in the event of a nuclear disaster, iodine tablets were about the only thing that could save you and were therefore esssential to national security. Were we misinformed?
 

ryano

Active member
Joined
Feb 4, 2003
Messages
173
agora said:
But if iodine tablets are so useless, why was there so much media furore about the failure to roll them out quick enough to households? Most media outlets gave the impression that in the event of a nuclear disaster, iodine tablets were about the only thing that could save you and were therefore esssential to national security. Were we misinformed?
In a word, yes.
 

JCSkinner

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
1,247
Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
I see a way out here. Could WE buy Sellafield and close it?
If not, perhaps John Magnier could be persuaded to buy Sellafield with his Man Yoo dollars on the state's behalf? Or maybe Dolores could dip into her lotto win and do the state some service?
 

Badboy

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2003
Messages
34
agora said:
But if iodine tablets are so useless, why was there so much media furore about the failure to roll them out quick enough to households? Most media outlets gave the impression that in the event of a nuclear disaster, iodine tablets were about the only thing that could save you and were therefore esssential to national security. Were we misinformed?
Misinformed is a bit soft. Millions of pounds were poured into this because Joe Jacob said on live radio that it was possible to shelter from a nuclear disaster on a bicycle.
 

angelcountry

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
54
Badboy said:
agora said:
But if iodine tablets are so useless, why was there so much media furore about the failure to roll them out quick enough to households? Most media outlets gave the impression that in the event of a nuclear disaster, iodine tablets were about the only thing that could save you and were therefore esssential to national security. Were we misinformed?
Misinformed is a bit soft. Millions of pounds were poured into this because Joe Jacob said on live radio that it was possible to shelter from a nuclear disaster on a bicycle.
:p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

agora

Active member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
106
Website
www.doonesbury.com
Badboy said:
Misinformed is a bit soft. Millions of pounds were poured into this because Joe Jacob said on live radio that it was possible to shelter from a nuclear disaster on a bicycle.
You mean it's not? :shock2: Even with a good helmet on? Are elbow pads any use?
 

TheOmbudsman

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2005
Messages
59
angelcountry said:
:p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angelcountry,
Do you realise that that's possibly the most comprehensible piece you've ever written!
 

TheOmbudsman

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2005
Messages
59
angelcountry said:
TheOmbudsman said:
angelcountry said:
:p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angelcountry,
Do you realise that that's possibly the most comprehensible piece you've ever written!
You recon :?:
it seems i am getting mad now,maybe i need help dont you think :?: :D

Maybe you're just homesick
 

angelcountry

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
54
TheOmbudsman said:
angelcountry said:
TheOmbudsman said:
angelcountry said:
:p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angelcountry,
Do you realise that that's possibly the most comprehensible piece you've ever written!
You recon :?:
it seems i am getting mad now,maybe i need help dont you think :?: :D

Maybe you're just homesick
I AM IN MY COUNTRY AREN'T I,SO WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY HOMESICK AGAIN :?:
 

TheOmbudsman

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2005
Messages
59
angelcountry said:
TheOmbudsman said:
angelcountry said:
TheOmbudsman said:
angelcountry said:
:p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angelcountry,
Do you realise that that's possibly the most comprehensible piece you've ever written!
You recon :?:
it seems i am getting mad now,maybe i need help dont you think :?: :D

Maybe you're just homesick
I AM IN MY COUNTRY AREN'T I,SO WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY HOMESICK AGAIN :?:
Sorry, I thought you were a foreigner making a reasonable attempt to communicate in the English language. I now realise that you are effectively illiterate.
 

angelcountry

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
54
TheOmbudsman said:
angelcountry said:
TheOmbudsman said:
angelcountry said:
TheOmbudsman said:
[quote="angelcountry":1iiiroew]
:p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angelcountry,
Do you realise that that's possibly the most comprehensible piece you've ever written!
You recon :?:
it seems i am getting mad now,maybe i need help dont you think :?: :D

Maybe you're just homesick
I AM IN MY COUNTRY AREN'T I,SO WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY HOMESICK AGAIN :?:
Sorry, I thought you were a foreigner making a reasonable attempt to communicate in the English language. I now realise that you are effectively illiterate.[/quote:1iiiroew]
thanks for telling me my level of literacy,and but i dont know how i am managing to communicate in English and indeed using computer,i must have been doing it under a duress. :D
 

agora

Active member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
106
Website
www.doonesbury.com
angelcountry said:
i must have been doing it under a duress. :D
Ah, it all becomes clear now. Angelcountry is obviously the unfortunate victim of an ingenious new form of torture being practiced on him in Guantanamo Bay. Not content with making inmates listen to Christina Aguilera, his American captors have stepped up the mental torture by forcing him to participate in Politics.ie discussions! :shock2: . Oh, the humanity!
 

angelcountry

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
54
agora said:
angelcountry said:
i must have been doing it under a duress. :D
Ah, it all becomes clear now. Angelcountry is obviously the unfortunate victim of an ingenious new form of torture being practiced on him in Guantanamo Bay. Not content with making inmates listen to Christina Aguilera, his American captors have stepped up the mental torture by forcing him to participate in Politics.ie discussions! :shock2: . Oh, the humanity!
you're talking bullox anyway.
And let me tell you something you can not force me to like you cos of your possition,cos you're too wicked for my likening,until you change your wicked way of life then i can reconsidered your adult literacy idea.
I even had that you're going to brake my family up,cos you believed that i am mad,i think you should come again with another thing o.k,cos i am always ready all the time with any force,infact i have done my home work properly long time so is going to be very very cumbersome for you to brake through my organise system,so i am advising you to change all your wicked way of life and live and let live.
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top