Ipsos MRBI poll - Fine Gael: 26% (up two points) Fianna Fáil: 26% (down seven) Independents/Others: 24% (up two) Sinn Féin: 19% (up three) Labour: 5%

Dame_Enda

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 14, 2011
Messages
54,521
Ipsos MRBI poll - Fine Gael: 26% (up two points) Fianna Fáil: 26% (down seven) Independents/Others: 24% (up two) Sinn Féin: 19% (up three) Labour: 5%

The much vaunted (and hoped for by some) collapse in support for "others" has been reversed. FF-FG are more or less at GE levels (52% a slight increase combined), Labour is down to 5%. It means the Establishment parties are only at 57%. Greens are at 3%.

Thoughts?

My own:

- The electorate have not forgotten FFs role in the crash, and FGs arrogance in the previous govt eg slowmowing inquiry decisions on Siteserv and penalty points.

- The country is moving towards a more European style party system based on ideology. The Establishment parties represent the bosses while the Independents and the Hard Left parties are more concerned with the working classes or holding govt to account from the Opposition benches.

- The electorate are happy with Independents being in govt, 44-36% according to the poll.

- Brexit nerves - which initially spurred many voters towards "stability" - have calmed down as the UK economy seems to be exceeding expectations which is good for Irish exporters (though the falling Pound is not). Its also possible Brexit is now contributing to a rebellious mood among voters towards elites, which indeed was a factor in the Brexit vote and support for Sanders/Trump/Hofer etc across the West.

- The electorate is not impressed by FFs gameplaying on water charges.
 


O

Oscurito

Just in time to shut up FF's grassroots (and many further up) who've been wanting FF to make trouble for FG and salivating at the prospect of getting back into government.
 

constitutionus

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
23,284
Great to see "new politics" is here to stay .

Loving LAbs woes .

:D
 

Erudite Caveman

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2016
Messages
7,329
The much vaunted (and hoped for by some) collapse in support for "others" has been reversed. FF-FG are more or less at GE levels (52% a slight increase combined), Labour is down to 5%. It means the Establishment parties are only at 57%. Greens are at 3%.

Thoughts?

My own:

- The electorate have not forgotten FFs role in the crash, and FGs arrogance in the previous govt eg slowmowing inquiry decisions on Siteserv and penalty points.

- The country is moving towards a more European style party system based on ideology. The Establishment parties represent the bosses while the Independents and the Hard Left parties are more concerned with the working classes or holding govt to account from the Opposition benches.

- The electorate are happy with Independents being in govt, 44-36% according to the poll.

- Brexit nerves - which initially spurred many voters towards "stability" - have calmed down as the UK economy seems to be exceeding expectations which is good for Irish exporters (though the falling Pound is not). Its also possible Brexit is now contributing to a rebellious mood among voters towards elites, which indeed was a factor in the Brexit vote and support for Sanders/Trump/Hofer etc across the West.

- The electorate is not impressed by FFs gameplaying on water charges.
Poll proves what randomer has been saying all along; figures unimportant.
 

HarshBuzz

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
11,815
With Taoiseach Leo in place, I wonder what those numbers would be....
 

GDPR

1
Joined
Jul 5, 2008
Messages
217,782
Just in time to shut up FF's grassroots (and many further up) who've been wanting FF to make trouble for FG and salivating at the prospect of getting back into government.
When did FF ever have to make trouble for FG when they do such a wonderful job of that themselves?
 

Lúidín

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 14, 2013
Messages
7,253
Does this represent a swing from Dum to Dee or Dee to Dum?
 

jmcc

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 12, 2004
Messages
42,620
FF-FG. Same shíte, different name? :) Labour seems to be in real trouble though. No Howlin Hop in the polls. (Then again, there was no such thing as a Burton Bounce either.) Still can't believe that the incompetence of the village idiots in FG has brought FF back from oblivion.
 

Clanrickard

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
33,413
FF b eing hit for their u turn on water charges. At least I hope so.
 

Henry94.

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2015
Messages
1,925
FF b eing hit for their u turn on water charges. At least I hope so.
Most probable explanation. They are annoying supporters and opponents of the charge at the same time. MM's old weakness, indecisiveness, is hurting them. It's a very bad quality in a leader. He's good on political tactics but he would be a terrible Taoiseach.
 

jmcc

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 12, 2004
Messages
42,620
Maybe, you'd need a couple of more polls to know if it's anything at all.
Along with the questions and the Margins of Error and sample sizes. Polls are only a cross section of the river of public opion at a given time. Opinions change. The only certainty upon which FF and SF can rely is that the village idiot will always f*ck things up for FG.
 

flavirostris

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2007
Messages
24,571
FF down 7%... Ooosh.. that's gotta hurt.. great start to the day to read this wonderful news.

Heave against Martin now.. he's jeopardising FF recovery with his bolloxing around on water charges.
 

GDPR

1
Joined
Jul 5, 2008
Messages
217,782
FF down 7%... Ooosh.. that's gotta hurt.. great start to the day to read this wonderful news.

Heave against Martin now.. he's jeopardising FF recovery with his bolloxing around on water charges.
Calm down Flavi and if you must worry about something, worry about the next election.
 

flavirostris

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2007
Messages
24,571
Calm down Flavi and if you must worry about something, worry about the next election.
I am calm and basking in the glow of this poll.. I'd say you are shítting yourself though.

FF down 7?

What about 'muh recovery'? Martin would want to watch his back tonic. The old dither has returned to haunt the Bobby Ewing of Irish politics.

Your lads are probably sharpening the knives already.
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top