• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

IRA admits killing teenage girl

Website
Greenparty.ie
They origionally blamed it on the British. Do they now understand why we dont trust them? Maybe 30 years from now they'll release a statement saying 'actually, we robbed the Northern Bank, not the Brits. Sorry!'

Conor

Does anyone know if the statement included an explanation, or was it just an apology?

I presume it was an accidental shooting.

edifice.

Maybe this is a precursor to another imminent statement.

watch-this-drive

Lads, is there any value in turning this into another political football?
Nobody will reconsider anything following this
(of course it is primarily a matter for her family)
so lets just reflect on a lost life, one of many from that era.

pauline

Typical comment from Coughlan: "It does beg the question as to how many more things have been wrongly blamed on the security forces."

But on the other hand, it does reveal that the IRA can apologise and admit the truth for operations that went wrong.

Can you quote any similar examples of the Brits apologising or admitting the truth? Any example at all? Even one??

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
watch-this-drive said:
Nobody is reconsider anything following this
Well said WTD. A lot of things happened during those times that shouldn't, but theres no point in raking over the coals of every single incident.

Hopefully this era is behind us once and for all.

badinage

pauline said:
Can you quote any similar examples of the Brits apologising or admitting the truth? Any example at all? Even one??
The burning of Cork city by the Black and Tans. They initially blamed it on the residents of Cork, but then later admitted it was the Black and Tans and paid compensation to the Irish Free State.

badinage

rockofcashel said:
Well said WTD. A lot of things happened during those times that shouldn't, but theres no point in raking over the coals of every single incident.

:roll: Yeah, I'm sure you'd have made an identical post if I started a thread on Pat Finucaine.

mjcoughlan

Website
www.bebo.com
badinage said:
rockofcashel said:

:roll: Yeah, I'm sure you'd have made an identical post if I started a thread on Pat Finucaine.
Indeed.

Conor

watch-this-drive said:
It passes the time.

watch-this-drive

rockofcashel said:
watch-this-drive said:
Nobody is reconsider anything following this

Agreed, anyone who wants to formulate or reconsider an opinion about our recent history should take a good long read and/or have a good long talk about it from good sources from as many persuasions as possible.
I foresee 90% of this thread will not be towards that goal.

mjcoughlan

Website
www.bebo.com
You see, this is a typical attitude for SFers to take. They display outrage at deaths caused by the British or loyalists but when it comes to deaths caused by the IRA their attitude is that this belongs in history and, tragic though it may be, we should not talk about it or turn it into a "political football".

thegeneral

badinage said:
rockofcashel said:

I too would like to put the era behind us as well. However like Badinage I know that SF people have a heirarchy of death and want incidents of the past 30 years investigated in which the British are alleged to have pulled the trigger. The contradiction between the vast majority of unsolved murders and crimes which were committed by so-called republicans is immense. The traditional attitude on here being it's in the past, leave it there, it was 30 years ago and sh1t happens.

ryano

But on the other hand, it does reveal that the IRA can apologise and admit the truth for operations that went wrong.
Um, only if you consider 32 years an acceptable lead time.

Conor

watch-this-drive said:
Conor said:
[quote="watch-this-drive":3cubq9tu]Lads, is there any value in turning this into another political football?
It passes the time.
but dude, the negative energy[/quote:3cubq9tu]
It doesn't have to be negative. Could just say kudos to the IRA on coming clean.