• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

IRA to cease all activity and pursue aims by politics

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
BREAKING NEWS

"All IRA units have been ordered to dump arms. All Volunteers have been instructed to assist the development of purely political and democratic programmes through exclusively peaceful means. Volunteers must not engage in any other activities whatsoever.

"The IRA leadership has also authorised our representative to engage with the IICD to complete the process to verifiably put its arms beyond use in a way which will further enhance public confidence and to conclude this as quickly as possible."

Earlier....

The IRA is set to issue a statement on its future, Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams has confirmed. Hopes rose following the temporary release last night of Shankill bomber Sean Kelly, who was returned to jail by Northern Secretary Peter Hain over a month ago. His release is seen as a significant development in ensuring the IRA goes ahead with its statement.

Reports from:

Irish Independent, BBC News and RTÉ News which reports that Ahern will be 'broadly happy'. Meanwhile U.TV News reports that Gerry Adams will attend a press conference in Dublin at 4pm.

Jack_Flash

Let's hope that this is the end of the guns and that democracy shall prevail after this.

bombpetrol

Its with mixed emotions I await what is coming, but I know that Irish people throughout the generations have always answered the call to fight when it was needed, and while we all hope that the current phase of the struggle, the purely peaceful phase, will succeed and no other person will die or go to jail trying to achieve the independence this country has a right to we are happy in the knowledge that if required our people will always stand by their country. I know what the Army is doing is the right thing to do; I think we can politically bring about the change that we as republicans strive for.
Just as an aside I think all republicans would like to thank the brave volunteers of the IRA who have given so much over the years, during this new phase we must never forget their sacrifice and hard work. We must continue to fight for the release of our incarcerated comrades in prisons both home and abroad. Likewise we must not forget that we are a revolutionary party, we are not part of the establishment, we must never be the establishment, and we must always have the re-unification of our party as the primary goal with all other actions and policies designed to achieve this goal. Tiocfaidh ar La.

Seabird

There is no doubt in my mind that will be the agenda. The time for arm struggle is over for most people, it's time for the political future to move forward at an accerated rate.

woodie

Is there a freudian slip here - "the reunification of our party" or are you just telling the truth - that what you I presume would call the 'republican movement' has always put its own interests before those of the Irish people?

gobshite

The republian movements intererest is the Irish people and our future together, regardless of religion and class

Seabird

bombpetrol,

Excellent post!!!

bombpetrol

woodie said:
Is there a freudian slip here - "the reunification of our party" or are you just telling the truth - that what you I presume would call the 'republican movement' has always put its own interests before those of the Irish people?
Obviously meant our country, it was written quite quickly when the boss was having a break. lol

gobshite

When will it come, even my girlfriend doesn't tease this much

Seabird

woodie,

Don't try to put a spin on bombpetrol's post. gobshite pretty much summed it up. Geez :roll:

gobshite

Carrier said:
Why are the Provos disbanding exactly?
Stupid questions like that is what has held everything up.
We are about to see an monumentous moment in Irish history and the best you can come up with is a bit of triumphalism, Republicans will only give up the struggle when the objective is achieved

Carrier

Website
www.newrepublicanforum.ie
gobshite said:
Carrier said:
Why are the Provos disbanding exactly?
Stupid questions like that is what has held everything up.
We are about to see an monumentous moment in Irish history and the best you can come up with is a bit of triumphalism, Republicans will only give up the struggle when the objective is achieved
It's a genuine question. There is nothing in the current climate which would bring any republican to genuinely believe that progress on the issue of unity is in any way likely if the current strategy is kept to. So in the absence of an serious alternative strategy on account of unionist intransigence backed by both governments, and in a situation in which nationalists can't trust the security forces to protect them, why exactly are the provos disbanding?

bombpetrol

We have given up nothing; we have just accepted the reality of the situation. At this time the best way to move this cause forward is through purely peaceful means. This does not mean that will always be the case, although one would hope that it will be. If we can move our struggle on without using force then there is a very strong moral obligation to do so. Guns maybe decommissioned today, but our republicanism and desire for a united Ireland will not be. The work and the knowledge, the desire, and the energy of everybody should have a very clear direction, it’s about ending partition.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
SKY NEWS is saying 'IRA to cease all activity and pursue aims by politics'.

IRA Leaders have been ordered to end armed campaign from 4pm this afternoon.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
I hope that the statement lives up to expectations and gets support from across the republican community.

I also hope that by standing down (or whatever way it will be described) the criminality that we've seen on both sides of the border carried out in the name of the IRA ends too. As some of the posters have pointed out, many genuinely patriotic Irish men and women have been involved in the various incarnations of the IRA and to have their memory sullied by thugs and criminal gangs does them a great disservice.

woodie

Seabird,

Mistake or not, Bombpetrol got it spot on.

As far as I'm concerned and I'd say for the vast majority of people in this country, IF the IRA goes out of business, it'll will only be doing something it should have done a long, long time ago.

Hence the lack of excitement.