IRA to cease all activity and pursue aims by politics

Jack_Flash

I can't say that I'm going to thank the IRA for ending its violence and murder but I have to say that I'm glad it's all coming to an end. Let's just hope that it all goes ahead as planned and that there are no lose ends.

sid

ireland2004 said:
David Cochrane said:
ireland2004 said:
Hopefully a few Brigades tell them where to stick their order.
Puhlease. The war is over, deal with it.
The war is on hold. The IRA are not the only people who can use force to remove the British from Ireland.
who? the C/RIRA? all 6 of them? the actual army of the republic, with 8,000 men, no armour, no air support, no air defence and only enough helicopters to lift 30-odd men at a time?

the war is over, you can't win by terror and you can't win by force. if you want a united ireland go out and persuade a unionist, everything you've done so far has made the day of irish unity further off. sorry.

ireland2004

Well, I should have been more clear. I don't agree with a return to an armed campaign.

The IRA are however, not disbanding.

The reason I'm not happy with this statement is it looks as if SF will be going into coalition with Fianna Fáil and join the Policing boards.

stretchneil

Zhukov said:
Does this mean that the other parties will have to take SF seriously as a party of government in the Republic?
Not yet, but it's a big step in that direction. I'll be much more excited when SF get involved with policing.

Incidentally, for those waiting to hear what Ian Paisley has to say, apparently he has stated that he's still waiting until he sees the photographs (no surprise there then!)

thegeneral

ireland2004 said:
The reason I'm not happy with this statement is it looks as if SF will be going into coalition with Fianna Fáil and join the Policing boards.
Out of curiosity are you opposed to joining the policing boards in any scenario?

bombpetrol

stretchneil said:
Zhukov said:
Does this mean that the other parties will have to take SF seriously as a party of government in the Republic?
Not yet, but it's a big step in that direction. I'll be much more excited when SF get involved with policing.

Incidentally, for those waiting to hear what Ian Paisley has to say, apparently he has stated that he's still waiting until he sees the photographs (no surprise there then!)
He will be left waiting, the thing about total decommissioning is that it can only happen the once. If the good General says that it was total and met all the criteria and this is verified by the two Reps then Gig Ian is up shit creek in my opinion, the Irish and Brits will surely have to believe the IICD. And I would imagine there is no time for the Irish government to persuade the IRA to allow photographs as I would expect a statement from the DeChastelain pretty soon.

stretchneil

bombpetrol said:
stretchneil said:

He will be left waiting, the thing about total decommissioning is that it can only happen the once. If the good General says that it was total and met all the criteria and this is verified by the two Reps then Gig Ian is up s*** creek in my opinion, the Irish and Brits will surely have to believe the IICD. And I would imagine there is no time for the Irish government to persuade the IRA to allow photographs as I would expect a statement from the DeChastelain pretty soon.
Load of crap.

The IRA leadership has also authorised our representative to engage with the IICD to complete the process to verifiably put its arms beyond use in a way which will further enhance public confidence and to conclude this as quickly as possible.
This clearly gives them the option to provide photographs.

The reason I think this moment is important is not that I believe the IRA to be dead, it's that I think they're making an extremely important gesture, both to the people of Ireland (North and South), and also to the Unionists in Northern Ireland. I see no reason not to follow through with that gesture to the fullest extent possible.

LordJagged

It will be ineteresting what sort of excuses the DUP come up with now.

Truth is, they can't stand the prospect of sharing power with taigs, be they marxist or otherwise. However, unlike the 70s and before, you can't say that on TV anymore.

The pressure on unionism to cop on and get with the program is now immense.[/i]

revereie

Unsure if anyone lese has opined n this - but will we see an increase in SF now with IRA members now focused entirely on purely political methods ? Secondly, will SF admit these people ?

qtman

LordJagged said:
It will be ineteresting what sort of excuses the DUP come up with now.

Truth is, they can't stand the prospect of sharing power with taigs, be they marxist or otherwise. However, unlike the 70s and before, you can't say that on TV anymore.

The pressure on unionism to cop on and get with the program is now immense.[/i]
The statement doesn't explicitly say 'permanent', not does it talk about the IRA 'disbanding'.

Plenty of Unionist wriggle-room there....

edifice.

We reiterate our view that the armed struggle was entirely legitimate.
Might as well publish the Hume/Adams document so.

popper

Just listening to that prat Hayes on tv. Still hasn't recovered from losing his seat to SF!!

CrockerJarman

ireland2004 said:
The war is on hold. The IRA are not the only people who can use force to remove the British from Ireland.
Well would ya listen to the hardy man himself.

I'll give you a lend of a few hurls and a few crow-bangers for your "war".

Carrier

Website
www.newrepublicanforum.ie
Great Stuff! Ball firmly in the Unionist's court. Surely they can't come up with another stall now!!
They can reject it on the grounds that it doesn't provide for sufficient proof of decommishioning.

There is also the fact that the statement says the IRA put 'its weapons' rather than 'all its weapons'.

The IRA doesn't commit itself to disbandment.

There is no commitment given which would prevent the IRA from taking a decision to return to war in the future.

There is no 'sack cloth and ashes' aspect - the statement re-iterates the IRA's belief that the war was legitimate.

There is no commitiment to back the PSNI.

Expect to hear several of the above from unionist quarters in the coming hours and days.

Top Bottom