IRA to cease all activity and pursue aims by politics

bombpetrol

stretchneil said:
bombpetrol said:
stretchneil said:
Not yet, but it's a big step in that direction. I'll be much more excited when SF get involved with policing.

Incidentally, for those waiting to hear what Ian Paisley has to say, apparently he has stated that he's still waiting until he sees the photographs (no surprise there then!)
He will be left waiting, the thing about total decommissioning is that it can only happen the once. If the good General says that it was total and met all the criteria and this is verified by the two Reps then Gig Ian is up s*** creek in my opinion, the Irish and Brits will surely have to believe the IICD. And I would imagine there is no time for the Irish government to persuade the IRA to allow photographs as I would expect a statement from the DeChastelain pretty soon.
Load of crap.

The IRA leadership has also authorised our representative to engage with the IICD to complete the process to verifiably put its arms beyond use in a way which will further enhance public confidence and to conclude this as quickly as possible.
This clearly gives them the option to provide photographs.

The reason I think this moment is important is not that I believe the IRA to be dead, it's that I think they're making an extremely important gesture, both to the people of Ireland (North and South), and also to the Unionists in Northern Ireland. I see no reason not to follow through with that gesture to the fullest extent possible.
I would have thought that any decommissioning would take place today or may have already taken place!!!!

Vietato

Who'll do the kneecapping and the padre pioing now? :(

markiemark1

i am making a valid point. people complain about the IRA, but look at the police force in the republic, they answer to nobody.......

bombpetrol

markiemark1 said:
i am making a valid point. people complain about the IRA, but look at the police force in the republic, they answer to nobody.......
Thought that was just Donegal!!

badinage

...and you think the continued existence of the Offences Against the State Act would be help Garda accountability?

Rocky

Carrier said:
Great Stuff! Ball firmly in the Unionist's court. Surely they can't come up with another stall now!!
They can reject it on the grounds that it doesn't provide for sufficient proof of decommishioning.

There is also the fact that the statement says the IRA put 'its weapons' rather than 'all its weapons'.

The IRA doesn't commit itself to disbandment.

There is no commitment given which would prevent the IRA from taking a decision to return to war in the future.

There is no 'sack cloth and ashes' aspect - the statement re-iterates the IRA's belief that the war was legitimate.

There is no commitiment to back the PSNI.

Expect to hear several of the above from unionist quarters in the coming hours and days.
And rightly so, it's a step in the right direction, however there is still too much missing. They need to clear all this issues and more up before they can possibly be in government in NI.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
More rubbish markie, rubbish.

The Gardaí are the police force of the Republic of Ireland, and last time I heard, there was this guy called the Minster for Justice.........

markiemark1

the minister for justice promised garda reforms ages ago, but has has not done anything, i reckon he's afraid of them!!!!

badinage

Hey markie put 4 exclamation marks after his statement. That means it MUST be true

markiemark1

the minister for justice, well, thats what he calls himself is just a hot air blower. full of empty promise. Does anybody remember his promises???
Last election he said he was going to reform the guards, i.e. make them accountable etc, has this been done?

Arnó

markiemark1 said:
the minister for justice, well, thats what he calls himself is just a hot air blower. full of empty promise. Does anybody remember his promises???
Last election he said he was going to reform the guards, i.e. make them accountable etc, has this been done?
It would be better to start a new tread on that matter as it is off topic. However interesting it might be.

Barbarian

Methinks some website is missing its fool

Top Bottom