IRA violence as regrettable yet inevitable, and almost certainly warranted.

McSlaggart

"I enjoy. The children are as open, kind and clever as they were 30 years ago but their view of the Troubles, albeit ancient history to them, is utterly different. They see IRA violence as regrettable yet inevitable, and almost certainly warranted. The idea of a just war against oppression has been swallowed whole."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/newton-emerson-licensing-next-war-is-adams-s-real-legacy-1.3301400

Note :Article from a link posted by CR:

Reading this a quote from Churchill came into my mind "History is written by the victors".

In northern Ireland we have many competing histories and truth runs a poor third behind them all. The strange thing is how Unionists have come to the conclusion that they had little in the way to do with terrorist organisations when "their community" had by far the greater number of people signed up to a terrorist organisation. For example UDA at its peak had around "forty thousand members"1 I would be surprised if the IRA had anything like forty thousand members its full existence.

Unionism has a defence of the UDA in that it was a not terrorist organisation right up to 1992 as only then did the UK government declared that it then met the criteria for being one. {????????????????? wtf}

Lets be clear nationalist from the first days of the troubles knew that the UDR and UVF was closely connected.2 Do we not live in a society in which the prevailing culture is one that "violence as regrettable yet inevitable, and almost certainly warranted." when it comes from "our" side?

"The British army has been accused of a ’cover up’ after it was disclosed that it has withheld evidence for more than three decades revealing that UDR units were being used to finance and support the UVF in Belfast, with at least 70 soldiers on one base linked to the loyalist terror group.
British army 'covered up' UDR units links to UVF - Investigations & Analysis - Northern Ireland from The Detail

1 wikipedia.

Proscribed Organisations in the United Kingdom under the Terrorism Act 2000.

DexterGreen22

"I enjoy. The children are as open, kind and clever as they were 30 years ago but their view of the Troubles, albeit ancient history to them, is utterly different. They see IRA violence as regrettable yet inevitable, and almost certainly warranted. The idea of a just war against oppression has been swallowed whole."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/newton-emerson-licensing-next-war-is-adams-s-real-legacy-1.3301400

Reading this a quote from Churchill came into my mind "History is written by the victors".

In northern Ireland we have many competing histories and truth runs a poor third behind them all. The strange thing is how Unionists have come to the conclusion that they had little in the way to do with terrorist organisations when "their community" had by far the greater number of people signed up to a terrorist organisation. For example UDA at its peak had around "forty thousand members"1 I would be surprised if the IRA had anything like forty thousand members its full existence.

Unionism has a defence of the UDA in that it was a not terrorist organisation right up to 1992 as only then did the UK government declared that it then met the criteria for being one. {????????????????? wtf}

Lets be clear nationalist from the first days of the troubles knew that the UDR and UVF was closely connected.2 Do we not live in a society in which the prevailing culture is one that "violence as regrettable yet inevitable, and almost certainly warranted." when it comes from "our" side?

"The British army has been accused of a ’cover up’ after it was disclosed that it has withheld evidence for more than three decades revealing that UDR units were being used to finance and support the UVF in Belfast, with at least 70 soldiers on one base linked to the loyalist terror group.
British army 'covered up' UDR units links to UVF - Investigations & Analysis - Northern Ireland from The Detail

1 wikipedia.

I think Martin McGuiness once said that the Provos had about 10,000 in total from the 60's to the GFA.

vivabrigada

1 wikipedia.

The IRA had three or four volunteers in Ardoyne in 1968. By 1970 they had hundreds.
This was a direct result of orange state/loyalist attacks. The assailants stayed pretty cosy for the next thirty years.
Unionists didn't vote for "terrorists" they didn't have to, their leaders had it covered.
I remember Peter Robinson saying loyalists, who were killing Catholics for a living, weren't terrorists, they were "counter terrorists".
Ffs the RUC spent ten years viciuosly attacking funerals.

DavidCaldwell

The IRA had three or four volunteers in Ardoyne in 1968. By 1970 they had hundreds.
This was a direct result of orange state/loyalist attacks.
The assailants stayed pretty cosy for the next thirty years.
Unionists didn't vote for "terrorists" they didn't have to, their leaders had it covered.
I remember Peter Robinson saying loyalists, who were killing Catholics for a living, weren't terrorists, they were "counter terrorists".
Do you have the courage to apply this logic (about the effects of attacks in generating support for people who would act against such attacks) to the IRA's attacks and killings?

Levellers

The British and their loyalist allies brutish behaviour pushed a fairly passive nationalist population into ridding the country of the B Men, UDR, RUC and fighting the British Army to a standstill.

former wesleyan

Unsurprising that the main thrust of the article is studiously ignored.

McSlaggart

I think Martin McGuiness once said that the Provos had about 10,000 in total from the 60's to the GFA.
It would be interesting to know what sort of "official" figures the British army though they had. The truth is their membership was not that large.

vivabrigada

Do you have the courage to apply this logic (about the effects of attacks in generating support for people who would act against such attacks) to the IRA's attacks and killings?
Yes. People had to arm themselves in the face of state attacks. My Da, a deeply religious man and a pacifist, stood with a gun guarding our homes from loyalist/RUC attacks. The Rubicon had been crossed, the genie was out of the bottle.
Armed conflict was inevitable, the guns weren't going to go away. Guess which side I took.

McSlaggart

The old which came first the chicken or the egg. It evolved and the troubles did the same from the actions of the sectarian Northern Ireland government and its equally sectarian policing.

McSlaggart

Unsurprising that the main thrust of the article is studiously ignored.
To address the analysis ""only Nixon could go to China" an old Vulcan proverb

As for moderates Unionism had plenty to pick from such as the Alliance party but did not do so in any great numbers.

InsideImDancing

Yes I certainly do.

Do you have the courage to admit that Britain's thieving empire was the root cause of the trouble in Ireland in the first place? Didn't think so. :)

InsideImDancing

Britain violently attacked and subjected weaker nations to its will in order to turn them upside down and shake any money they might have had out of their pockets - they did it across the globe - for the simple purpose of lining its own pockets.

The IRA were just one in a long line of organisations setup to combat such skullduggery - they were in the ha'penny place in comparison to their opponents.

In the recent conflict itself, the Irish in the north thought an almost 3 times cleaner conflict than the British forces setup against it in term of civilians killed.

I dunno if violence is ever justifiable but if it is then the IRA were more justified than most, and 23 million times more justified than the dirty British empire, and they fook'n bleeding well know it too - deep down in their hearts - unless they are the retarded types. :)

Mickeymac

Yes I certainly do.

Do you have the courage to admit that Britain's thieving empire was the root cause of the trouble in Ireland in the first place? Didn't think so. :)

Hi Dancer, hope you are well man, long time since I saw your avatar:D btw......do you know where the diamonds on Meghan's ring originated from?:lol:

Mickeymac

Britain violently attacked and subjected weaker nations to its will in order to turn them upside down and shake any money they might have had out of their pockets - they did it across the globe - for the simple purpose of lining its own pockets.

The IRA were just one in a long line of organisations setup to combat such skullduggery - they were in the ha'penny place in comparison to their opponents.

In the recent conflict itself, the Irish in the north thought an almost 3 times cleaner conflict than the British forces setup against it in term of civilians killed.

I dunno if violence is ever justifiable but if it is then the IRA were more justified than most, and 23 million times more justified than the dirty British empire, and they fook'n bleeding well know it too - deep down in their hearts - unless they are the retarded types. :)

A rather condensed version of their imperialist past but factual nonetheless, reading the full version of their colonial history is not recommended for those whose long dead relatives who were forced to endure their inhumanity.

CastleRay

This was a direct result of orange state/loyalist attacks. The assailants stayed pretty cosy for the next thirty years.
Have you a link to Robinson’s quote regarding killing Catholics?

InsideImDancing

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies