IRA Volunteer Tom McFeely

woodie

Read a piece in the Irish Times this morning about Tom McFeely, an ex-IRA volunteer and now director of a building company, having proceedings initiated against his company by Offaly County Council for failing to finish a housing estate in Portarlington, Na Cluainte estate, two years after the last of 85 houses was finished.

One woman living in the estate is quoted as saying that her back garden was under two feet of water during the winter months and she cannot let her three year old daughter out in case she'd drown. Another says that temporary fencing erected four years ago is still there and McFeely's trucks are still going in and out of the supposed green area which they describe as a cross between a swamp and a building site.

A spokesperson for McFeely's company is quoted as rejecting the residents' criticisms.

Don't know if Mr McFeely is a still a member of 'the Republican movement' but was wondering if any SF supporters on politics.ie could use whatever influence they have to sort it out? This is huge problem up and down the country in the newer estates.

ireland2004

woodie said:
Read a piece in the Irish Times this morning about Tom McFeely, an ex-IRA volunteer and now director of a building company, having proceedings initiated against his company by Offaly County Council for failing to finish a housing estate in Portarlington, Na Cluainte estate, two years after the last of 85 houses was finished.

One woman living in the estate is quoted as saying that her back garden was under two feet of water during the winter months and she cannot let her three year old daughter out in case she'd drown. Another says that temporary fencing erected four years ago is still there and McFeely's trucks are still going in and out of the supposed green area which they describe as a cross between a swamp and a building site.

A spokesperson for McFeely's company is quoted as rejecting the residents' criticisms.

Don't know if Mr McFeely is a still a member of 'the Republican movement' but was wondering if any SF supporters on politics.ie could use whatever influence they have to sort it out? This is huge problem up and down the country in the newer estates.
No doubt all the companies building these new estates up and down the country are directed by ex-IRA Volunteers. :roll:

cain1798

Tom McFeely has nothing to do with Sinn Féin.

Over 15,000 men and women went to prison for republican offences since the early 70s. Not all of them are members of Sinn Féin, some oppose the party and others, like Tom, aren't political anymore.

Bogwarrior

cain1798 said:

Over 15,000 men and women went to prison for republican offences since the early 70s. Not all of them are members of Sinn Féin, some oppose the party and others, like Tom, aren't political anymore.
How do you know he's not political? I'm sure he has strong personal views. He wouldn't be too fond of Adams' strategy thats for sure.

cain1798

Bogwarrior said:
How do you know he's not political? I'm sure he has strong personal views. He wouldn't be too fond of Adams' strategy thats for sure.
I meant he's not politically involved. And as far as I know from people who know and knew him, that's the case. What's your evidence for the claim on the strategy?

DOD

cain1798 said:
Bogwarrior said:
I meant he's not politically involved. And as far as I know from people who know and knew him, that's the case. What's your evidence for the claim on the strategy?
Cain,
You should know well by now that BW believes any former republican activist who is not a vouched for member of SF, is 'not too fond of the strategy'. If they're unlucky enough to be dead, then they definitely don't. Apparently death has a radicalising effect on republicans.

Bogwarrior

DOD said:
cain1798 said:
Bogwarrior said:
Cain,
You should know well by now that BW believes any former republican activist who is not a vouched for member of SF, is 'not too fond of the strategy'. If they're unlucky enough to be dead, then they definitely don't. Apparently death has a radicalising effect on republicans.
Actually I worked in the building trade, and worked for Tom briefly and had a few informal chats with him over the auld ham sandwich, before he became a big shot. Long time ago, mind. Dod I just get pissed off when people say things like "he left the broad Republican family." simply because he left PSF.

DOD

Bogwarrior said:
DOD said:
cain1798 said:
Bogwarrior said:
Cain,
Actually I worked in the building trade, and worked for Tom briefly and had a few informal chats with him over the auld ham sandwich, before he became a big shot. Long time ago, mind. Dod I just get ****** off when people say things like "he left the broad Republican family." simply because he left PSF.
Maybe he did leave the broad republican family? Do you have any evidence that he is a member of another republican organisation?

Bogwarrior

DOD said:
Bogwarrior said:
DOD said:
cain1798 said:
Bogwarrior said:
Cain,
Actually I worked in the building trade, and worked for Tom briefly and had a few informal chats with him over the auld ham sandwich, before he became a big shot. Long time ago, mind. Dod I just get ****** off when people say things like "he left the broad Republican family." simply because he left PSF.
Maybe he did leave the broad republican family? Do you have any evidence that he is a member of another republican organisation?
I don't think Bernadette Mc Aliskey or Fr Des Wilson are members of any parties or organisations, nor I for that matter. Have they left the Republican family?What defines this Republican family? The assumption I took from reading earlier posts here was that PSF and satellite groups was the "family".

Mrs. Sheahan

I don’t think Tom is a member of Sinn Féin, or the wider republican family.
I don't think he is either.

[video=youtube;F-T_8SvNRhk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-T_8SvNRhk[/video]

jdaly

Tom is very political but not party political, he saw enough shyte in the provisional movement. Gave work to IRA men, though, when some others wouldn't, fair play to him.

Mrs. Sheahan

I don't think Bernadette Mc Aliskey or Fr Des Wilson are members of any parties or organisations, nor I for that matter. Have they left the Republican family?What defines this Republican family? The assumption I took from reading earlier posts here was that PSF and satellite groups was the "family".
anyone who supports The Project is a member of the Family.

Isn't that right daddy

jdaly

yes, there is this stunning arrogance that a person who is not affiliated to, or supportive of, Sinn Féin is not a republican. To be honest, you won't get just as much of that from the older generation as from the new Sinn Feiners through age or the ceasefire Sinn Féiners through being afraid of their shyte to have anything to do with Sf before the ceasefire/arms surrender.

sandar

a republican is someone who believes in and advoacets respublican system of government, in which the will of the people is sovereign, if this guy advocates than then he is a republican.....

New Threads

Most Replies